• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wesley929

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    NW INDY
    22lr works fine for coyotes at shorter distances. I usually carried .223 but only because we sometimes took 200+ yard shots out into the field.

A well placed shot is key. Even a 50 BMG won't bring it down if you only hit the tip of its tail.

met eng gun nut

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I have killed my share of yotes and say if you have to use a 22lr make sure you can hit the base of the skull and turn its lights out. It really is not humane in a hunting setting

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2009
    I killed 23 yotes this winter off the back porch, 30-80 yards, 37 grain, same ammo I use squirrel and coon huntin. Slpit open a dead hog, stake it out with some rebar, and wait.....In the spirit of the Nuge.....Yes we bait!!

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I had a guy in a gun shop tell me one time that you could not kill groundhogs with a .22LR (For that matter coyotes). I was looking at a .22LR varmint rifle. I can tell you yes it will kill both groundhogs and dogs. Never took a coyote. The bullet will pass trough a dog sized animal. 75 yards is about the maximum realistic range.

If I had the choice I would prefer a .22 magnum. It does offer more energy then the standard .22LR. Like an idiot i sold my .22 magnum and wish i had it back.

PwrCruz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    Westside Indy
    I have taken a yote at around 50yds with a .22, but never felt it would give a humane kill past 75yds. So instead I bought a .17HMR and have taken them out as far 118yds. with 20gr hornady's. Got to love the .17HMR very little pelt damage and drops them on the spot. Have seen friends take groundhogs at around 200yds. with a .17hmr

ddenny5

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    Some where in the USA
    I would use my AR-15 to shoot coyotes. I am a member of the North American Hunting Club and many members there use number 4 buckshot in a shotgun to bring a coyote down.

Top Bottom