• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Talked yrs ago with the Nightforce president for over an hr (phone) mostly about the Ruger #1 ( he a fan too).
    Of course he has the $ to rebarrel and rework forends for max accuracy.

I always hated that angled screw and forend cranked up against the barrel.
    Too bad they didn't go with a system like a Browning .......simple spacers and it no longer touches.

Think a 1B the most pretty production rifle out there. As for #1's it seems as though the varmint or heavyweights shoot the best, the in between stuff could be very iffy. I know smart guys, who can work rifles, reload...........who had fits with common deer chamberings. Some accuracy issues could not be resolved. Might have been just a bbl issue, but dang that fiorend probably didn't help.

Not all $$$ rebarreling is/was for oddball cartridges ;)

My buddy has a 1A that is a one-holer, in .243. He had Penrod "time the action" or whatever it's called. Kind of a Rube Goldberg system if you have seen a cutaway drawing.

Recoil.................yup the old red pads don't do much and the stock design seems to drive it straight back..........I wouldn't consider them the most pleasant for cartridge design, but in the lighter stuff they aint bad......................and they look fantastic. Of course with today's new pad materials one could ease the thump with a simple swap or custom fit.............I'd only consider such a deal if it was red ;)

Pops still has his old first style .22-250, my rig back in (got used in '78) was 2nd pad type IIRC. He's got a NIB varmint stainless lam .22-250 and he thinks it's neat. For me it totally ruins the look. The old 4 digit and earlier stuff with vertical split rings are kinda cool, they used to have nice wood on them, even better than the Liberty stuff IMHO. I'm still kicking myself for letting a '77 B in .243 slide by, and it had very nice wood. Who says kids have to eat?

But having been around and shot a few #1's..............I knew that it probably wouldn't outshoot a cheap POS $400 700 ADL synth.

That said..............I'll fork over the $ one of these days to have a custom bbl'd #1. Deer hunting I don't have to be as picky in group size............. a B&C buck with a nicely stocked #1 laying on it would make a killer pic.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Mine's a modified No.3. Designed the cartridge for my hunting. 26" barrel. Fixed 6 scope. Obviously made for lefthand shooting.

Last edited:

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    What caliber is that?

My design from about 1982, a .375x45-70. The neck is 9/16" long to hold all the lube grooves on commonly available molds.
    The bullet shown there is the Lyman #375296, 283 grains or so with wheel weights and lead. Best load found is a compressed charge of 760 and mag primer to light it off.
    Pasadena Gun Center in Pasadena, TX did the rebarrel. My brother reworked the stock and got rid of the barrel band.
    Think I will get a heavy paper patch mold and see how she likes straight soft lead. When we move to Indiana I'll trim the neck back if the maximum case length rule is still in effect.

Sm0keydaBear

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2014
    United States
    I like all of Rugers' rifle designs, but I find their pistols lacking. The design from an image standpoint leaves something more to be desired. However, their rifles I believe look quality and fun to shoot.

Top Bottom