• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MrBlue54

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2012
    LaPorte
    It is my understanding that the spring in the magazine will develop memorary over time. Thus I think that I am going to rotate my magazines by leaving one empty for a week while the other two are loaded.
    Thoughts?

1371MARINE

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    The Region
    spring steel is just that, spring steel. it needs to be exercised. never leave a mag fully loaded for long periods. fill half or two thirds and rotate. especially carry mags

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    spring steel is just that, spring steel. it needs to be exercised. never leave a mag fully loaded for long periods. fill half or two thirds and rotate. especially carry mags

Not true, but certainly a popular myth in the gun culture.

This exercising which you are suggesting is actually what wears springs out, not leaving them under tension.

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    I have thirty 20 round AR mags that I fully loaded in 1976.
    Every year for the past ten years I pick one at random and fire it dry as fast as I can.
    I've never had a failure to feed, function, or fire.
    :)

SIGnature45

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    South Bend

This exercising which you are suggesting is actually what wears springs out, not leaving them under tension.

Seems like you know what you are talking about, but for some reason my instinct tells me this is hard to believe. Just based on common sense but I have nothing to back it up

THard6

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2010
    Greenwood
    Seems like you know what you are talking about, but for some reason my instinct tells me this is hard to believe. Just based on common sense but I have nothing to back it up

go get you a pop can,
    open it up and move the tab as if you're opening and closing it,
    when said task has been completed please return with a report!
    I'll be waiting. :popcorn:

that's just an EXAMPLE.

TRWXXA

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2008

You mean "under compression". Tension is when you pull on something.

Burnsy

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NW Indiana

Please stop spreading misinformation. This includes recommending that someone carry a half loaded mag around...

Last edited:

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Some mag springs are junk and not to proper tensile strength. Yes, mag springs will set to a certain length over time, they are designed too. Keeping mags loaded should not weaken the spring, if they use quality springs. It's compression and decompression that wears springs out.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Totally wrong! If that were the fact every car in the junk yard would be sitting on the ground. Springs only deteriorate / break from "Flexing" or rust/corrosion, not when loaded in normal design position, PERIOD. I am a retired Engineer and can cite many proofs of this fact.

chraland51

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Camby Area
    Well now I am confused about magazine springs since there did not seem to be any conclusion to this discussion. To add to my confusion, I think that I will go immediately after work to one of the Gander Mountain firearms section salesmen and ask him if the 7.62 Nato is the same as a .308 and the .223 is the same as the 5.45x whatever. When they try to tell me yes, my day will be complete.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Well now I am confused about magazine springs since there did not seem to be any conclusion to this discussion. To add to my confusion, I think that I will go immediately after work to one of the Gander Mountain firearms section salesmen and ask him if the 7.62 Nato is the same as a .308 and the .223 is the same as the 5.45x whatever. When they try to tell me yes, my day will be complete.

Cool, Gander Mountain gun clerks are my go to guys for firearms information. Just the other day I learned that you don't need an LTCH to open carry in Indiana. Huh, imagine that.

Top Bottom