Rossi, Puma, Taurus - Same Manufacturer?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jim7310

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2010
    Westfield
    In looking to purchase a new model 92 lever gun recently I found myself wading through the variety of Brasilian imports from Rossi, Puma and Taurus. They seemed to be the same rifle available at different times in similar or identical configurations - but I was not sure.

Then I found an article reviewing the Rossi by Jim Taylor where he stated: "Amadeus Rossi, SA manufactures its classic rifles in San Leopoldo, Brazil. I find it interesting that they also chose a cat for their copy of the Winchester 92, calling it the "Puma"... From Rossi's FAQ on their website - "There is a new company, BrazTech, authorized to distribute Rossi firearms in North America. BrazTech was formed by the partnership of Rossi and Taurus"

This seemed to indicate to me that "Rossi" and "Puma" are brand names from the same manufacturer (Rossi), but Taurus seems to be a separate entity. Does anyone own 92 lever guns from 2 or 3 of these makers or have information to verify who is making what? I am just trying to avoid wasting time comparing identical rifles with different names stamped on them.

Jim

Farmerjon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2010
    NorthWest Indiana
    Jim, I own a Rossi pump 22 that is a copy of the old remington. I was told by a gunsmith that the Rossi had bought the dies and it was the same gun. Anyway, to answer your question from my experiences only, Taurus bought Rossi is what my gun dealer told me a while back. Who knows. Might be like H&R and the other manufacturer I can't recall right now. They said that building said one name at one end, another name at the other end.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    Rossi and Taurus are the same company. Rossi manufactured lever guns that were imported with the Puma name.

"new" Puma's are manufactured by Chiappa in Italy and imported by Legacy Sports International.

Serial Crusher

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Northwest Indiana
    I've seen all three come in the same LSI box. I don't know what that means, because they all say they're made in different places. I think I might have seen a Mossberg plinkster packaged in an LSI box as well :dunno: The newer Rossi revolvers I've seen do say they're made by Taurus. I can't remember if the rifles do, I'll have to take a closer look.

philagothon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    On the 7th step
    The new Pumas made by Chiappa have case hardened receivers. They are also easily identified by their price tag (roughly double a Rossi or Puma made be Rossi). They have a different safety setup as well and supposedly use better wood.

They also have a faster twist (at least in the 44 mag I was looking at). The standard twist on a 44 is something like 1:38, maybe 1:30. It is said that some of the slow twist rifles have a hard time stabilizing anything over 240 grains. Many people suggest a 1:18 twist for the 300+ grain rounds.

pricedo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Life Member NRA & GOA
    I think Rossi and Puma are the same but I'm not sure about Taurus. I had a Puma .44mag 92 and it was scary accurate. I've sold a few and I do regret selling that damm 92...

The Puma moniker for the popular Winchester M92 knock off lever action rifles I believe is owned by Legacy Sports International (LSI) and LSIs supplier of the M92 knockoff was Amadeo Rossi from Brazil for quite a while.

About the same time Taurus bought Rossi LSI for reasons that are unknown to me went to Chiappa in Italy to supply their Puma rifles.

Rossi can & still does manufacture a Win. M92 knockoff but they can't call it a Puma anymore since LSI owns the Puma name.

The "new" Chiappa Pumas are quite a bit more expensive than their Rossi predecessors.......almost double.

Any discussion/debate as to whether the substantially higher price of the Chiappa Puma is warranted in superior workmanship & quality I will leave to members who have had experience with both the Chiappa & Rossi guns.

I know that I would NOT pay what LSI is now asking for their Puma rifles.

I just purchased a Rossi Puma in .454 Casull & haven't range tested it yet.

I own several Amadeo Rossi firearms and have found them to be dependable & good shooters over many years.

Top Bottom