• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • irishhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Mooresville
    I am in the market for a .44 mag for this coming deer season. Anyone have a Rossi model R92?

I have shot the Marlin, My Dads is a straight shooter , I have heard of jamming problems with them but his has not shown any signs of it..

Thanks for the response

dieselman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2009
    Bloomington
    i had a rossi. it was the older interarms model and it was a complete piece of crap. kicked harder than my .300 win and functioned like a mosin.

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Made in Brazil vs Made in USA
    Cheap tacked on safety vs one that was part of the original design
    Hard to mount a scope vs extremly easy
    ill fit and mass produced vs ill fit and mass produced but slightly tighter
    thin baby-like forend vs one that actually fits a mans hand
    top eject vs side eject
    metal buttpad vs rubber
    no sling swivels vs sling swivels

To me its a no brainer.

Buy the Rossi.

paperboy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Pulaski County
    I'd definitely say the Marlin. They are already drilled for scope mounting and are built like tanks. I have read they don't shoot heavy loads well but all I've ever used is 240 Gr. WWB JSP. I have taken deer out to 95 yards with mine and none have ever gone farther than 20 yards with a huge blood trail and have always got complete pass thrus. I won't deer hunt with any other ammo in 44.

crocket

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    i have had winchester,marlin,rossi..in that order my money is on the rossi..the win. was a model 94 ae with a 16 inch round barr.shot great felt like a toy.........the marlin the very first time i shot it the firing pin fell out the back of the gun. took it back to dicks sporting goods an got my money back. went an bought the rossi 92 and it is a great gun 20 inch. octagon barr. case harden reciever. it loves hornady 225 gr. leverloution ammo.p.s all rossi haters you name it........ time and place i will show this thing will out shoot your daddys winchester

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    111   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I have the Rossi in 45LC and love it! It's top eject and I wouldn't want to try and mount a scope on it but the iron sights work very well for me out to 100 yards or so. I did have a Marlin 1894 in 44 mag and traded it. It was nice but I wanted a 45. Good luck, I am sure either will knock a deer over great. :yesway:

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Whatever you do, DO NOT GO WITH THE MARLIN!

You see, when you have a Marlin, you have superb peice of weaponry. Highly accurate, highly reliable, perfectly sized for use in woods, easy to mount a scope on (if you go that way with levers). They are also very easy on the eyes.

BUT, you buy one and everything starts going downhill from there. For example, if you get one if 44, soon you will consume your days searching for one in 357. Then, after procuring the second rifle, you will, without doubt, begin salivating for a 39a. You will think with three of them your disease will be cured- IT WON'T! Soon you'll see nice stainless 45-70---do you need a 45-70 for anything? NO, but that doesn't matter see- it's a Marlin.

Then one day, having the disease fully taken hold, you'll go to a gunshop and see a Rossi on the rack and quietly whisper to yourself, "I can't believe I considered one of those!"

So, please, take my warning to heart.

I am SBCMAN, and I'm a Marlinholic.

HuntMeister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 21, 2010
    If I was looking to buy a levergun I would go with the Marlin...oh wait a minute, I already did. :)
    Love my 1894 44mag, great deer rifle.

pricedo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Life Member NRA & GOA
    Made in Brazil vs Made in USA
    Cheap tacked on safety vs one that was part of the original design
    Hard to mount a scope vs extremly easy
    ill fit and mass produced vs ill fit and mass produced but slightly tighter
    thin baby-like forend vs one that actually fits a mans hand
    top eject vs side eject
    metal buttpad vs rubber
    no sling swivels vs sling swivels

To me its a no brainer.

Buy the Rossi.

Given a choice between a pre-Remington Marlin 336C like the one I owned in .35 Remington and a pre-childish safety Rossi Puma 92 I would be hard pressed to make a choice.

They are both quality guns.

I always had a preference of 92s that were close to John Brownings original design specs.

That would preclude the Braztech R92 model with the idiotic, unsightly & unnecessary lawyer safety on top of the receiver.

I would buy NEITHER of the post-Remington Marlin nor the post-childish safety Braztech R92.

I have 3 pre-childish safety Amadeo Rossi SA Puma 92s in .357 Mag, .44 Mag & .454 Casull & am very happy with them.

YoungBlood21

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 24, 2011
    Greenfield
    Whatever you do, DO NOT GO WITH THE MARLIN!

You see, when you have a Marlin, you have superb peice of weaponry. Highly accurate, highly reliable, perfectly sized for use in woods, easy to mount a scope on (if you go that way with levers). They are also very easy on the eyes.

BUT, you buy one and everything starts going downhill from there. For example, if you get one if 44, soon you will consume your days searching for one in 357. Then, after procuring the second rifle, you will, without doubt, begin salivating for a 39a. You will think with three of them your disease will be cured- IT WON'T! Soon you'll see nice stainless 45-70---do you need a 45-70 for anything? NO, but that doesn't matter see- it's a Marlin.

Then one day, having the disease fully taken hold, you'll go to a gunshop and see a Rossi on the rack and quietly whisper to yourself, "I can't believe I considered one of those!"

So, please, take my warning to heart.

I am SBCMAN, and I'm a Marlinholic.

I have a Marlin 1894 in .44mag and love it. I am wondering though what is the 39a that you speak of SBCman? I don't believe I have ever seen one of those. Never mind I looked it up and now want one you are right about the disease I also want a 336 not sure if I want it in 30/30 or .35 Rem though. I don't mean to hijack the thread but which would be better in your guys opinions if you have any experience with either caliber?

Last edited:

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    My brother has a Marlin in .44mag, and its a very nice rifle. No problems of anykind, took his first deer with it this year. If I was in the market for a rifle like this I would go with a Marlin after shooting his.

billyboyr6

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    greenfield
    Why has no one mentioned Henry lever guns? IMHO they have some of the coolest options available on lever guns. They look good and function just as well.

Top Bottom