• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ncthorn

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Columbus, OH
    My dad is a 1985 grad in Civil Engineering from Rose. My GF's dad is Registrar at RHIT so Im around Rose people quite a bit. I got my acceptance from there a couple weeks ago but am still aiming for Washington Univ. in StL. or Notre Dame as my top two followed by Rose. I am hoping to do mechanical and go into a weapons program of some sort.

ncthorn

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Columbus, OH
    Dunno really... I kind of want to get out of town and even though Rose has a very nice campus, I was extremely impressed with the other two. I also have some good friends that have looked into both Wash. U and ND so obviously thats played a part. Dont get me wrong though, Rose is most definitely on my short list. I can certainly see myself at any of the three.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    When I was looking at engineering schools, Wash U was a 3-2 program. I.e. you did a pre-engineering program for 3 years, and then did 2 more at an ABET acredited school to complete the bachelor's degree. Not sure how it is up at ND.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    That is all the reason you need to go to Rose. For one, it's an Engineering School. Secondly, I can name quite a few guys that have graduated from Rose and gone into the weapons field.

Rose-Hulman offers the best undergraduate engineering, science, and math education available. Not just in Indiana, not just in the midwest, not just in the USA. It's the best. Some may argue the point, but they would be wrong.

And I'm referring to education, not "training." The primary skills you will take from Rose-Hulman will be criticial thinking and knowing how to teach yourself new things. Your communication skills, both written and oral, will be well ahead of almost all other programs because they will force you to develop them. No matter what is in your head, it's useless to the rest of the world if you can't communicate your ideas effectively.

If the educational opportunity is the primary concern, and financial resources (including scholarships, aid, etc.) allow it, Rose-Hulman should be the only choice.

rcuhljr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Carmel
    Speaking of professors and guns, do they still require Freshman to take the Military History and Military Science classes?

It was removed as a requirement my freshman year, so 2001 was the last of it.

I actually had Morin for a class before I realized ME wasn't for me and got my butt over to CS. Let me tell you that since you've had him he only looks more and more like a gnome.

Rose can be brutal, but it's worth it.

Gun club shoots were always awesome, people bring out a lot of their nice personal guns which if you ask nicely you can normally shoot, got to play with .50 cal rifles and deagles, a lot of nice AR15's, and some nice custom pistols.

cougar_guy04

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    Lookin' for Galt's Gulch
    I actually had Morin for a class before I realized ME wasn't for me and got my butt over to CS. Let me tell you that since you've had him he only looks more and more like a gnome.

Heh, my Freshman year was Morin's last . . . it was about a year too late IMO. I was pretty much self taught on Solid Edge. Most times, I'd do my classwork/homework for the week the night before, come in for a bit, then turn everything in and boogey back to bed (it was great being right across the street from most of my classes :D). Speaking for most the guys I was in class though, we pegged him for more of a Papa Smurf/Santa Clause (although he was nowhere near cheery enough for either of those characters).

That is all the reason you need to go to Rose. For one, it's an Engineering School. Secondly, I can name quite a few guys that have graduated from Rose and gone into the weapons field.
    :D I can vouch for this. Navsea-Crane is one of the biggest employers of Rose alums. There's also the other Navsea divisions (Indian Head is the one who's been recruiting with Crane recently). Knight Enterprises (makers of the M110 SASS) has also recruited there as recently as last year, hopefully they will continue to recruit at Rose in the future.

Rose-Hulman offers the best undergraduate engineering, science, and math education available. Not just in Indiana, not just in the midwest, not just in the USA. It's the best. Some may argue the point, but they would be wrong.

And I'm referring to education, not "training." The primary skills you will take from Rose-Hulman will be criticial thinking and knowing how to teach yourself new things. Your communication skills, both written and oral, will be well ahead of almost all other programs because they will force you to develop them. No matter what is in your head, it's useless to the rest of the world if you can't communicate your ideas effectively.

If the educational opportunity is the primary concern, and financial resources (including scholarships, aid, etc.) allow it, Rose-Hulman should be the only choice.
    This hardly gets said, but the Rhino's got a point. I'd be lying if I said it was puppies and sunshine getting through there but it was worth it in the end when Dr. J (no, not that Dr. J) handed me my diploma. Plus, for a school to place over 95% of it's graduates prior to or shortly after commencement says an awful lot for the quality of engineer/scientist Rose is putting out.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    They had 100% placement for many years until the early 1980s. When I got there in 1983, it was the beginning of the when you took whatever job was offered. The economy was at least as bad as it is now, probably worse, due to the Carter administration and its contemporaries in Congress. Another factor was they were telling all the high school kids around the country that there was some kind of shortage of engineers, when in fact there was a glut at the time for various reasons. Employment was grim in the mid 1980s. Salaries were low.

In fact, I have friends who have been working steadily since 1987. Their starting salaries were so low that they will never make as much as a typical Rose grad makes to START now. That's good news for current and prospective Rose students. The market will pay you commensurate with your value to the market now.

Top Bottom