• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    It sounds like there's at least a handful of Rose-Hulman (and maybe even a few Rose-Poly) grads on the boards. Thought it would be cool to see who all was here. Current student's welcome too!

I thought we could share some basic info, like major / year of graduation, Greek affiliation (yes, GDI counts if you weren't Greek :) ), Resisdence hall, any campus activities, who you work for now, and if you have any other degrees before or after RHIT. Last, but not least, you're favorite prof(s).

So, I'll start:

BS - ME 2001
    FIJI
    Speed (3rd floor)
    4 yr. Varsity Football
    Cummins, Inc.
    MBA- IU Kelley School of Business - May 2010.

Tough to pick just one for favorite professor, so here's a couple: Don Decker (I.C. Engines, Thermal Design), Dick Stamper (Several upperclass ME classes), Patsy Brackin (Several ME classes over the 4 years), Sam Hulbert (Bio-Med Classes)

rmcrob

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2008
    Plainfield
    BS Chemistry 1975
    GDI and I Eta Thi
    Speed Hall, Deming Hall, Blumberg Hall
    Eli Lilly and Company
    Partial work towards MS Theology

Last edited:

imprimis5

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    Plainfield, IN
    Do I count if I decided it wasn't for me after two and a half years?

CS (Class of '05, if I'd stuck it through)
    GDI, but I lived across the hall from the APO office my sophomore year
    Speed 3, New Res 0, Skinner Middle Top :-P
    SGA, Chess Club, InterVarsity
    Starbucks (remember, I didn't stay)
    Mutchler (CS), House (Humanities)

notasccrmom

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2008
    south 'til you smell
    ok ok, so maybe I know a little bit about the place...

B.S.M.E. 2009
    GDI
    I also have lived on Speed 3... (I'm noticing a trend)
    I'm slightly involved in the gun club :whistle: and I DJ for WMHD.
    Stienstra, Sanders, Ferro, and Adams come to mind.

I'm still entertaining all job offers... :naughty:

rmcrob

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2008
    Plainfield
    Favorite profs: Gary Sherman, for sure. Dennis Lewis. And you young guys will get a kick out of this: Herman Moench. Moench Hall was called The Main Building in my day.

cougar_guy04

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    Lookin' for Galt's Gulch
    You know, the "other" engineering school in Indiana on the Wabash River...:):
    No, it's not the "other" engineering school . . . it's THE engineering school. :D

BSME '08
    Not affiliated . . . unless you count the gun club
    BSB, New Res, A-Res
    Rose Bands and an occasional trip out to Don's place. :)
    I get paid to build Machine Guns/Rail Systems in FL
    No other degrees yet, but who knows what the future will hold.

rmcrob

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2008
    Plainfield
    Since I'm not an engineer, I think I can get by with this:

How many Purdue engineering students does it take to change a light bulb?
    It only takes one and you get three credit hours for it.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    It's a reunion! Where the hell were you guys at homecoming this year? I made it to the last 5 minutes of the game after shooting a steel match and going to lunch afterward. :)
    • BSME class of 1987
    • I graduated with the second highest GPA among the MEs, which availed me pretty much ... nothing. But I also won a National Science Foundation Fellowship, which did not suck.
    • I was rejected by all fraternities in which I showed interest (yes, even Triangle). On bid monday, I had an envelope in my mailbox that said, "You have received 0 bids." But I was friends with a bunch of the Fijis later, so they let me come to the parties on Saturday nights.
    • I never lived on campus. I moved to Terre Haute my freshman year, then I moved to Seelyville for the rest.
    • I was in the mechanical engineering MS/PhD program at Univ. of California at Berkeley starting in 1987, focusing on combustion (fluid dynamics, thermodynamics, and heat transfer). I left in 1989 with an MS, but no PhD. I don't regret leaving there, but I do regret not having a PhD.
    • In the early 90s I considered going to med school, so I did some post-baccalaureate studies at Wabash College. I did necessary year of biology and organic chemistry, but due to the scheduling of organic there, I did some other stuff to occupy my brain. I completed a year of Physical Chemistry, a semester of Analytical Chemistry, and a medicinal organic chem half-semester short course. I was in the middle of Inorganic Chem when I had to leave school due to a back injury.
    • My sole "engineering" experience was as an environmental engineer and Superfund project manager for US EPA Region IX (San Francisco office with sites all in the Los Angeles area). The most valuable thing I took from that experience was learning how corrupt,inefficient, wasteful, useless, and sometimes evil Federal agencies and their employees can be (and are).
    • I am currently an adjunct instructor at Ivy Tech. I teach Physics I, Physics II, Physical Science, and some math when necessary.
    • I had a lot of great professors. I'll name a few of my favorites (in no particular order), but if I omit any, it's because of my faulty memory and not due to any disrespect or lack of influence on my lifee: Robert "Stinky Bob" Steinhauser, "Lazy" Wayne Sanders, William Ovens, all from mech eng; Herb Bailey from math; Dennis Lewis from chem; Thad Smith from H&S; can't remember any others offhand.
    Some of my favorite memories are of how Stinky Bob would "encourage" us to perform an energy balance when solving thermo-related problems. "Fer Chri**sakes, guys! Ya gotta do the g**damn energy balance first!" with unlit stogie in hand. I also learned how to say "bullsh**!" properly from Herb Bailey when he told us a story about how he was wrongly accused of academic dishonesty while in grad school (which had to have been in the 1800s). And of course, the classic take of when Prof. Sanders arrived late to advanced thermo due to a doctor's appointment . . . good times.

This wasn't asked, but I only had two professors that left a completely negative impression on me. One was a newly hired guy who tried to teach vibrations. He was a Japanese national who could speak English (barely), but we learned during the quarter that he couldn't understand English, which is something he was able to conceal during his interview process. That's understandable, because he was able to predict what questions he might be asked and prepare for them. He was dismissed after that first quarter because of our collective evaluations at least in part. A law suit ensued, but I do not know the outcome.

The other was from the humanties and social sciences department. He was one of the biggest a**holes I'd encountered in my life to that point (and in the top 100 since then). And he had an incredibly annoying, nasal voice. He helped me develop some nice loathing and scorn of the subject matter because I'll always associate it with him. Kind of like kids who hate math because they had a crappy teacher early in school. Ironically, I think he's actually chairman of the dept. now, but I'm not sure.

Last edited:

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    That is one of the many things I can applaud Rose for: Listening to students and getting professors who, for the most part, have industry experience from consulting, etc. I hear many horror stories about the profs who require teaching assistants to translate at some State schools.

Top Bottom