• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    In the process of buying a home and got the inspection report back. I'll try to explain the issue as accurately as I can, even though I have no technical knowledge of this at all. It appears that the shingles are in two layers on the roof, but the bottom layer was installed upside down. That is, the gritty part is facing down. The topmost layer is installed correctly. The inspector stated that because the gritty part isn't facing up on the bottom layer it may deteriorate more quickly than it's supposed to because the gritty material isn't able to do its job. Has anyone ever heard of this, and if so, how big of an issue is it?

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I am no expert, but houses new only have one layer of shingles. So if yours or the one you are looking at has 2 and the bottom layer is on wrong but the top is right I am not sure I would worry about it unless there are signs of damage like cupped shingles or water damage in the attic.

Just a question.... Did you look in the attic your self?
    Also if you have HGTV have you ever watched Holmes Inspections? or Holmes on homes? You can learn a lot from his shows. Never hurts to double check your inspectors work.

amboran

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2008
    Brownstown,IN
    Here's a thought....Maybe your inspector just looked at the bottom row along the gutters. I've seen some roofers use upside-down shingles for an extra layer on the first(bottom) row. But I agree with other poster-if top shingles are ok-not really something to worry about.(I still can't picture how an inspector could see enough to say the whole first layer of roofing is upside-down):dunno:

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Here's a thought....Maybe your inspector just looked at the bottom row along the gutters. I've seen some roofers use upside-down shingles for an extra layer on the first(bottom) row. But I agree with other poster-if top shingles are ok-not really something to worry about.(I still can't picture how an inspector could see enough to say the whole first layer of roofing is upside-down):dunno:

+1

The bottom row should be reversed with a correct layer on top of it.

draftsman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 5, 2012
    Greenfield
    If you havent purchased yet you could have them reduce the cost of the home or have them pay to tear off and reshingle. When the roof is reshingled it porbably will cost a bit extra to tear off 2 layers for added labor and disposal. Do you know how old the shingle job is?

draftsman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 5, 2012
    Greenfield

Starter strip sounds about right

paintman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    new castle indiana
    samething i thought as i was reading this. thats how i was taught to start. dont really see how he could pull any other row back far enough to see whats under it.

El Guero

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 18, 2011
    Nw Indiana
    You mention is a new house? New houses only suppose to have one layer of shingles, some cities allow up to 3 layers, as they wear out uo can place up to 3 layers then do a complete tear off. But the inspector may be wroung and just look the starter line that some times is inverted

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Thanks for the advice. It is an older house, and the roof appears to be in three distinct sections. One part is a rubber membrane, another part is single, and the last part is this double shingle. He pointed out the edge where the "upside down" shingle was at, I wonder why he didn't think it was just a starter strip as you've all mentioned. There was no damage that he noted though, so I feel better that it's not a big issue. Thanks!

SockMonkey

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I have a friend who's a contractor, and I asked him. Here is his reply:

• First, 2 layers is not a big deal.
      Some people, when starting the bottom row, will rotate a row upside down so the tab gaps don't line up. It shouldn't cause them to wear out any sooner. The only thing to worry about is the bottom of the tabs on the first row of shingles will not be very well glued down.
      I would suggest that they get some good rubber caulk(not silicone or acrylic) and gently lift the bottom row up and put a little caulk underneath. That should take care of it.
      I'd also suggest that when they're ready for a new roof down the road, to go with metal. It's cheaper, looks better, and lasts much longer.
    Hope that helps!

Whitsettd8

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Floyd Co
    I might has this totally bass akwards but I want to say they do it like that to utilize the tar strip and hold the shingle in place from wind catching it at the gutter. I worked for a contractor when I was 16 mainly just a gopher but I always remember the first row went on upside down.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I can't imagine an entire roof being shingled upside-down. I tend to agree its probably starter strips along the edges. You might google how to shingle a roof--to get an idea of the proper method for peace of mind.

Just a thought--(assuming you don't know a builder or roofer) check with a real building supply store and see if they might have a suggestion.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I can't imagine an entire roof being shingled upside-down. I tend to agree its probably starter strips along the edges. You might google how to shingle a roof--to get an idea of the proper method for peace of mind.

Just a thought--(assuming you don't know a builder or roofer) check with a real building supply store and see if they might have a suggestion.

ocsdor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    As far as I know, there are no licensing requirements in Indiana to be a house inspector. Therefore, anyone off the street could start his own house inspector business.

My house inspector missed lots of stuff, and even couldn't explain things I pointed out to him. Though the house buyers pay their salaries; it's pretty obvious in many cases that they "work" for the realtors. The good thing in my case is the $ 500 I paid him translated into $2,000 off the price of the house and a few repairs.

*Note: I do not believe in gov't licensing, but did want to make a point about experience.

Kaiser

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    lafayette area
    Starter strip sounds about right

I have roofed before the starter strip is not upside down but is backwards. The first row is about the only row he could look at. There is no way the roofing is upside down even an incompetent roofer would not do that. I would hire another inspector or have a contractor take a look.

Jaarthur

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2012
    Columbus, IN
    I have done roofing work in the past and when we would do tear offs it wasnt uncommon to find that. I know that we would use ice and water shielding then lay down a starter strip rather than a shingle. I mean I'm no expert by any means but you should be okay. I dont see why anyone would roof a whole house upside down, thatd be a huge waste of time and money.

I have also worked under an inspector and unfortunately they arent always the most attentive. I would point stuff out to him and he'd say "oh, yeah. You're right, good catch!"

rby1rby

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    Delphi
    I have done a lot of roofs ( i work construction) we turn the starter upside down(grit up) & dab some roof tar along the edge on to hold them down in the wind . But anymore we put on metal roofs(10 to 1 vs shingles). They last a lot longer & you can get the energy star tax break on certain colors.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I'm no doctor, but from what I've read, Shingles are bad. If you have "layers" of them - you need to get some treatment and quick. Your condition can't be good if some "Home Inspector" noticed them. Aren't they contagious?
    I think you can catch them from eating cornbread. :n00b:

I've dealt with Inspectors for years and have found that most of them - Suck.
    Only a small few will actually find "most" of the problems and potential problems.
    It's always amazing that some of these guys can take a single page of simple items and turn it into a 20 page report with what they claim are "Major", "Important" and "Scary" items. Homeowners and banks just love them and of course believe every word when most will nitpick at the norm and completely miss the obvious.

Depending on who is paying their bill, they can sway that report to read how they want. Obviously all home inspectors are not like this and are probably great at their job.
    Just be cautious.

Top Bottom