• ...and so much more!
  • JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    Im listening.

Drug possession for personal use, unintentional firearm violations.

Turns out there arent as many as I thought that truly dont involve or harm other people, but there are many more that are "non-violent", but your argument would apply for that, its part of the punishment. Fair enough.

gtrlspl

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    South Bend
    Drug possession for personal use, unintentional firearm violations.

Turns out there arent as many as I thought that truly dont involve or harm other people, but there are many more that are "non-violent", but your argument would apply for that, its part of the punishment. Fair enough.

The problem is if you follow the criminal records of these "non-violent" felons you will find that those "non-violent" felonies seem to only lead to more and more violent felonies until they finally kill someone. I don't think that felons should be allowed to own guns. Not that is matters because they are just going to get them off the street somewhere anyway. I've had several felons at work tell me about the guns they are going to get when they get out.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    The problem is if you follow the criminal records of these "non-violent" felons you will find that those "non-violent" felonies seem to only lead to more and more violent felonies until they finally kill someone. I don't think that felons should be allowed to own guns. Not that is matters because they are just going to get them off the street somewhere anyway. I've had several felons at work tell me about the guns they are going to get when they get out.

What are you even talking about? At first I thought you were joking. What about the whole host of white collar crimes? There are MANY "non-violent" felonies where the criminal has no intention of physically harming anyone, and probably never will. Do you honestly believe the Bernie Madoffs of the world are just building their way up to murder? Not to be harsh, I just think your experiences have blurred your vision. Yes, felons can still get guns illegally. Yes, felons are more likely to commit more felonies. No, a true non-violent felon will not necessarily, or even likely with any certainty, commit a violent felony.

Cru

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    According to the ISP: Home a felon can possess a Cap and ball musket... so i guess he could protect his home.

"I have a felony record, can I possess a cap and ball musket?
    Yes, unless your felony conviction is for a crime listed under IC 35-47-4-5."

gtrlspl

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    South Bend
    What are you even talking about? At first I thought you were joking. What about the whole host of white collar crimes? There are MANY "non-violent" felonies where the criminal has no intention of physically harming anyone, and probably never will. Do you honestly believe the Bernie Madoffs of the world are just building their way up to murder? Not to be harsh, I just think your experiences have blurred your vision. Yes, felons can still get guns illegally. Yes, felons are more likely to commit more felonies. No, a true non-violent felon will not necessarily, or even likely with any certainty, commit a violent felony.

No, I don't think people like Bernie Madoffs are building up to murder, but one should be realistic when talking about non-violent felonies. For example, robbery is considered a non-violent felony, do you think someone who robs another person should be allowed to own a gun? I agree that maybe my views have been swayed by my experiences, but when I read offenders letters saying that they are "gonna have to get back to their hustle" when they back on the streets, the last thing I want is for that person to have a gun. The robbery then becomes armed robbery, and what if the person doesn't comply with their demands and the offender decides to make it a murder. Sure, maybe that won't happen, but it does everyday. Stalking can be considered a non-violent felony, should we allow them to have guns? I personally think that unless we are going to decide on a case by case basis whether or not a felon should be allowed to own guns, then we should just continue to say all felons cannot own guns. These people were not forced to commit these crimes and they now must deal with the consequences.

blackoak

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Im listening.
    A guy that plea bargains and does plead guilty to a lessor charge and sentence(probation) but the crime committed is punishable for a year or more in prison. He's not a felon, but will lose his RTKBA

The man that gets into an argument with his wife and they beat the hell out of each other that is convicted of domestic violence will loose the RTKBA

A war veteran that has problems adjusting to civilian life, or anybody that may suffer from mental depression that seeks council from a mental health clinic could very well loose the RTBA

None of these instances these people are convicted felons, but since Mr Brady and Mr Clinton and a organization that people think fight for their RTKBA made a compromise , laws were passed that made the only weapon legal for them to possess and own is a black powder gun.

Last edited:

blackoak

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    The felon law is flawed, but not grossly flawed. Leave and let be.
    In the United States of America, in reality you do not have to be a convicted felon to lose your right to keep and bear arms. The US constitution is being abused. Whats so hard to understand and comprehend the statement " The Right To Keep And Bear Arms Shall Not Be Infringed Upon"????? When a person is incarcerated they loose these rights. When all debts to society has been paid, they should regain them.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom