• ...and so much more!
  • Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    As I recall Rand Paul released a suggested budget that balanced in just a year. That is the kind of thinking we need. These plans to make cuts in 5-10 years are fairy tales that the politicians have told one time too many.

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    As I recall Rand Paul released a suggested budget that balanced in just a year. That is the kind of thinking we need. These plans to make cuts in 5-10 years are fairy tales that the politicians have told one time too many.

+1

Congress needs to step up and do its job. It alone sets the budget and allocates funds. I hold out no hope until after the elections, and even then very very slim hope.

nawainwright

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    New Hampshire
    I was going to add my 2 cents, but it seems well covered. Clearly I'm not the only person who realizes that cutting the tail off a runaway bull isn't going to stop it from charging.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    As a matter of fact, two candidates have mentioned cutting out $1 trillion. Ron Paul. And Gary Johnson has proposed cutting $1.6 trillion. Talking about anything less than trillions is not even beginning to address the current problems and shows nothing more than a lack of understanding of the issue and rank cowardice. At least two men have the balls to address it. The others haven't got anything.

Ok, So I was unaware that they had said they could get that done. That would be better, obviously. Do you think that Congress will let them cut that much? I agree, Rambone, negotiations will ensue and undoubtedly lower the number regardless. While I agree with these guys that we don't need as much governement as we have, I find it unlikely that they will be able to actually get support to eliminate the programs.

Honestly, I don't see anyone senators or congressmen from a "hurricane" state agreeing to discontinue FEMA for example. Do you think this is realisitic? (Yes, I agree that it would be good, but realistic?

While I agree that it would be best to cut it all I still think 500 billion would be a good start. I think in 2013,we will all be hoping for even a small portion of that REGARDLESS of who ends up in the oval office. We'll see. I hope to be proven incorect.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Honestly, I don't see anyone senators or congressmen from a "hurricane" state agreeing to discontinue FEMA for example. Do you think this is realisitic? (Yes, I agree that it would be good, but realistic?
    If they've seen FEMA in action, then they probably know how useless it is. :):

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County

Fairy tales. That is really the perfect way to describe this crap, and it's wearing thin.

"Oh, let's space it out over the next decade, that way we can keep promising to cut things and never have to actually do it!"

We need real cuts and we need them now.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    Has ANYONE said they can take a trillion out of it? Seriously, lets get out of our perfect world caps and back into our real life hats. If he can't or won't do it thats one thing, if he does do $500 billions that has to be considered a win, I think.

The perfect world would be a plan to reduce debt to $0 by the end of 8 years.

A good start would be suggesting enough cuts to balance the budget in 4.

This proposal barely buys us a little time under the debt ceiling.

I think the concern among those who are not impressed is not that the idea isn't perfect, it is that, financially speaking, it won't make enough of a difference in time to prevent anything.

I think one of the reasons most people who like RP do so is not because we think he is perfect or that his solutions necessarily are, but that he is the only one who seems to understand just how big the economic **** sandwich in front of us is and he at least gives striking hard enough to make a dent lip service.

Could he be full of it? Maybe, but none of the others are even willing to recognize the enormity of the issue publicly.

For those concerned with his foreign policy stance, how effective will our defense be when checks can't be drawn from the U.S. Treasury?

By the way, RP offered a proposal for a TRILLION in SPENDING CUTS in just ONE YEAR back in mid-October ago.

This would still leave a budget deficit.

Not a perfect world, but a step in the right direction.

Top Bottom