• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jaredjosh

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2009
    Indy
    I was planning on taking the kids roller skating this weekend. Since it has been years since I myself have been and good ol Melody Skateland is no longer around. I haven't a clue as to what rink I can take them too in the Indy area that would provide a clean and safe environment for the kids to have fun. Supervised by me of course. So if any of you know of any places that you could suggest it would be appreciated.

Thanks and be well, Jaredjosh

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    Melody closed? Holy crap I loved that rink.

Too bad you are Indy area. my parents own the skating rink in Logansport, I would have got you the INGO discount!

-MColford

jetmechG550

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Been to Rock and Rollers in Avon several times with my daughter for various events from Girl Scouts and b'da parties. Clean and safe, plus it's just down the street from Liberty Firearms so you can make a pit stop before or after.

voodoo304

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 27, 2011
    SW Indy
    MColford- I was born and raised in Logan and spent many hours at that rink! Lots of great memories there! Tell your parents thank you!

As for one in Indy, southern plaza has one also there is one on Bluff Rd by Banta Rd. Both great rinks and family friendly. Have fun!

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    If it's not too far for you, on the north end of Franklin on U.S.31 Franklin skate club ( I think). Great place the kids, they serve food, snacks, etc.

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    MColford- I was born and raised in Logan and spent many hours at that rink! Lots of great memories there! Tell your parents thank you!

As for one in Indy, southern plaza has one also there is one on Bluff Rd by Banta Rd. Both great rinks and family friendly. Have fun!

Absolutely! Thanks for your business!

Hogwylde

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    Moved to Tucson, AZ
    "Melody closed? Holy crap I loved that rink."

Melody BURNT about 15 years ago.
    Rock and Rollers in Avon has some kind of "plastic" floor that feels weird and has a small dip in it that runs from one side to the other. They also only play current crap that the kids listen to. I asked them to play some real skating music (70's disco..Double Dutch Bus, Disco Duck, etc) and they had no clue.
    Franklin and Southern Plaza both have real wooden floors.

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    "Melody closed? Holy crap I loved that rink."

Melody BURNT about 15 years ago.
    Rock and Rollers in Avon has some kind of "plastic" floor that feels weird and has a small dip in it that runs from one side to the other. They also only play current crap that the kids listen to. I asked them to play some real skating music (70's disco..Double Dutch Bus, Disco Duck, etc) and they had no clue.
    Franklin and Southern Plaza both have real wooden floors.

And nowhere did I say I had been there recently. As a teen I would go all over to rinks in Indiana with my uncle, but as life got ahold of me, that part of life ended when cars and girls came into the picture.

-MColford

irishhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Mooresville
    Uh its winter time my man , take them ice skating pam am has open skate daily and weekends . NO crappy music either LOL

+1 for Avon rink your kids will love it , take ipod cause music sucks

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Bump.

Our church had a youth outing at Southland today. Decent facility, friendly staff, fair entry/rental prices. ($7/$3 peak, as low as $2/$3 for off peak) Oh, and $4 rental for "walkers" to help teach kids to skate.

Minor complaints:
    Floor has some issues. There is a large section on the far side (3'w x 20'l) that is roped off due to water damage. There are also several buckets out on the floor to presumably catch other leaks that you have to dodge.
    I hear that the concession prices are stupid high. We didnt try to buy anything because we were only there 2 hours and not over a meal time, but others have mentioned that in online reviews.

But it does appear to be a safe place. No attitudes, no punks, and everyone was friendly or at least courteous. Kids LOVED it, and even though I havent been on skates in 15-20 years, I was back skating well at the end of the 2 hours. Looking to replace my roller blades because the kids want to go again. Mrs Monkey said that it could be a daddy activity. She tried and gave up. She has balance issues and isnt good hiking on uneven surfaces. So skating is definitely not her thing. Annoying thing is I only threw the blades away in the last 2 years. They lived in the minibarn until the wife insisted I throw them away because we wouldnt be skating anytime soon. :xmad:

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Im a fan of the Franklin skate club, nice clean place with friendly staff.

Wheels of wonder was nice before the change of ownership. It's been more than a year since I've been there so maybe it's improved

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I have several skating rinks in mind that were great fun and perfectly safe....alas, all of them require the use of a time machine to get to.

Top Bottom