• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tyrajam

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Fishers
    This is some interesting shrew talk, but it is not a shrew. It is a vole which is closely related moles. They occupy roughly the same niche as mice and are fodder for coyotes, foxes and owls.

I'll bet you dollars to donuts it is a shrew. It has the long, pointed snout of a shrew. Voles look more like mice and are bigger, sometimes its hard to tell from a pic, but it is a shrew. As far as filling the same niche, they voles will tear up your garden, while shrews will keep the little bugs at bay.

LegatoRedrivers

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2011
    Except that if it's the Northern Short Tailed Shrew, which inhabits this part of the country, it is venomous. :(
    Northern Short-tailed Shrew - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Err... How venomous? It did look a bit like the small one in the picture, and I think it nipped the dog on the nose.

That was several hours ago, though. The dog seems fine.

The shrew she got looks smaller than on that page, though.

Edit: read the wiki page. Considering Dogmeat's a 55 pound dog and the shrew couldn't have weighed more than an ounce, the dog should be fine.

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    Err... How venomous? It did look a bit like the small one in the picture, and I think it nipped the dog on the nose.

That was several hours ago, though. The dog seems fine.

The shrew she got looks smaller than on that page, though.

Edit: read the wiki page. Considering Dogmeat's a 55 pound dog and the shrew couldn't have weighed more than an ounce, the dog should be fine.
    A shrew's venom is introduced into a wound by channels in it's teeth.
    Kinda like a Gila Monster.
    They usually have to get a good bite and work the venom in while they "chew" on the victim.
    The venom is usually used on bugs, snails, or small rodents.
    I don't believe they can do any appreciable damage to a decent sized dog or a human larger than an infant.
    I still wouldn't play with one just to see what the effects would be. ;)

MRP2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Greenwood
    I experienced something similar.I had just gotten back from the Army where I served overseas in korea and I had brought back a Korean dog called a Jindo and we were at the edge of the woods where I had grown up in PA when I noticed my dog moving his front paws back and forth and then he reared his head back slightly and slammed his snout right into the ground and pulled a mole out of the ground. The mole immediately started screaming. It gave me a shock. I never heard anything that small scream like that before.

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    This is some interesting shrew talk, but it is not a shrew. It is a vole which is closely related moles. They occupy roughly the same niche as mice and are fodder for coyotes, foxes and owls.

Wrong. Look at a picture of a vole, they don't look like a shrew! Voles have short muzzles and look like very chubby mice.
    voles.jpg

shrew:
    Short%20Tailed%20Shrew.jpg

Random question. Do we have voles in IN?

Yes, we've got them.

Top Bottom