• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • yenningcomity

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    I picked up a bunch of reloading equipment. The po took care of it, but I noticed that the rockchucker is not all original. The handle seems aftermarket. It is not black and does not have a ball handle. Instead it is stainless steal with a blue plastic pistol style grip. It is also missing the priming arm and primer catcher.

I have not tried calling rcbs, but I was wondering if anyone has a source for the handle? The priming arm and catcher seem easier enough to find. Has anyone any experience with using one without the ball handle? Better? Worse?

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    The handle is not a particularly important piece of a press, so long as it's sturdy and comfortable. Try it out and if it works for you, use it. If not, RCBS will almost certainly replace it at little or no cost. They have an excellent reputation for customer service.

As for the priming arm, most folks use a separate tool for priming cases and that's what I'd recommend for you. The reason a lot of used Rockchuckers don't have the priming arm is people take them off and toss them or lose them. I removed it from my press. The catcher is another story. It's pretty useful at keeping the mess to a minimum. Again, RCBS will likely send you one for little or nothing.

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Thanks for the info. I have an rcbs hand priming tool, but I still want to try doing it on my press at some point.

Using the priming arm on the press is super slow and changing small-to-large or vice versa is also super slow. I have had a Rock Chucker since the late 1970s, and I doubt I have primed even 20 cases with the press.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    The handle on my RC is SS also, it has a plastic grip like you'd find on a bicycle handle bar. It still works great, I think the ball would be more comfortable but this still works ok.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Thanks for the info. I have an rcbs hand priming tool, but I still want to try doing it on my press at some point.

Might want to rethink that. Like already said, it's super slow and also I found too easy to crush/deform the primer... You simply won't get as good as feel as you will with a separate hand held.

Now, if you get a priming arm free, go ahead and try it and form your own opinion. I would not spend anything on one though.

1$Chuck

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Columbus
    I've got 5 rock chuckers of various ages. Some have the bicycle type grips that are like a translucent sparkley material, some have a green smooth slip on type rubber grip and some have the ball. Doesn't matter to me, they all work.

I have primed with the press before, but I much prefer to use a lee hand priming tool. Much easier and faster

yenningcomity

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    +1 for RCBS I emailed and asked if I can order the parts. I got an email back saying they will send all of it for free.

09136 Hex Nut 5/8"-18
    09122 Ball Handle Assembly (Includes Keys 11 & 13)
    09114 Primer Catcher
    09550 Universal Primer Arm
    09099 Setscrew, 10-32 x 1/4 Flat Point (2)

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    +1 for RCBS I emailed and asked if I can order the parts. I got an email back saying they will send all of it for free.

09136 Hex Nut 5/8"-18
    09122 Ball Handle Assembly (Includes Keys 11 & 13)
    09114 Primer Catcher
    09550 Universal Primer Arm
    09099 Setscrew, 10-32 x 1/4 Flat Point (2)

W00T! Yet another reason why folks like reloading; the industry tends to have very good CS, as a whole.

Top Bottom