• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GPD177

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Greenwood
    Hey guys I just wanted to pick your brains concerning Rock River accuracy. I am looking at the Predator Pursuit and/or the Varmint uppers. I am building a semi auto "sniper" type rifle and was thinking about using one of these uppers or building one using an aftermarket barrel/parts/Vltor modular upper receiver. This wont be a range or hunting gun, I wil actuall be using it on calls out at work. I have a nice Remington 700 for most call outs, but there have been times pop up that a AR platform, I think, would have been better option. Anyway let me know what you think please. Thanks.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I only have a Rock River DCM "Service Rifle". It seems accurate out to 600 yards. The company claims 3/4 moa. It has a 1:8 twist barrel and likes 75 gr and 77 gr BTHP bullets. The heavier bullets seem to carry better at longer distances with less affect by the wind. Any bullet heavier than a 77 grain is too long for the magazine and has to be loaded singly.
    If it were me, and I'd be shooting at targets over 100 yards, I'd stick with the bolt gun for a sniper rifle and probably in .308. I understand that most police snipers make shots less than 100 yards. If that is the case, the RR may be suitable for that.

boman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 19, 2009
    indianapolis
    My son just received a varmint a4 upper from RRA last month--20 in beadblasted--hogue black free float. lower is Stag with RRA two-stage trigger. scope is Leupold Mark AR.

He shot privi m193 with so so results 2moa--but with the right ammo it shoots sub minute of angle(in the .7's)---in this case a handload with a 55gr. vmax. I believe from my experience one could equal this result with premium factory ammo if you don't reload.

Steve

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    RRA

I have a 1:12 twist 24" stainless RRA varminter. Using 50 & 55 gr VMax and HPs it will shoot 1 MOPD (minute of prairie dog) at 250+. The gun is very accurate. The variable is the trigger puller! :D

SamW

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2009
    W. Lafayette
    Will they allow you to use a .223 in place of (making an assumption here) a .308 bolt gun with better barrier penetration?

jrh84

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 9, 2009
    Columbus
    I picked up a 18" Varmint back in May. I knew what I was getting into with the heavy barrel, but if you've never handled one or know that you might be carrying it quite a bit, you might consider a lighter profile like the predator pursuit or the coyote. It's definately a front-heavy rifle. Accuracy-wise, I have seen the claimed 3/4 MOA, but not with cheap ammo. I can get the $40/100 Federal bulk pack .223 from Wal-Mart to about 1.25" at 100 yards, and the reman Black Hills 55 gr. Soft Points to group anywhere from .75-1". I can't wait to try some of the 77 gr. Hornadays through it when I can find/afford some. I will say that I tried a box of the Remington 45 gr. HPs through it, and the groups opened up quite a bit. Too fast for the 1:8 twist if I had to guess.
    I'd really like to see a thorough accuracy test between the varmint, predator, coyote, and NM rifles from RRA. All models claim 3/4 MOA (and I believe it), but I'd like to see what they can REALLY do compared to each other.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    build your own and go with a higher quality barrel... the barrel is the cornerstone of ar accuracy.... question though... why was the sniper in "sniper" rifle in quotations when that will be the actual use?

GPD177

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Greenwood
    The reason for having it in quotes was to designate its role, like entry for example. What got me thinking this might be the way to go is that I was on a callout on a domestic situation where the male had battered female and son and then barricaded himself inside, with weapons. I layed out in a beanfield about 70 meters from the back door of the house for about 4 hours starting at 10 pm or so. I was concerned if he would come charging out of the back door armed. Hitting a moving target after being all zeroed in on a bedroom window, trying to swing the heavy .308 around, may have been a lil problematic. I though that I might be better served at that close a range with a AR platform that would be a little more "pointable" if it came to that.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    The reason for having it in quotes was to designate its role, like entry for example. What got me thinking this might be the way to go is that I was on a callout on a domestic situation where the male had battered female and son and then barricaded himself inside, with weapons. I layed out in a beanfield about 70 meters from the back door of the house for about 4 hours starting at 10 pm or so. I was concerned if he would come charging out of the back door armed. Hitting a moving target after being all zeroed in on a bedroom window, trying to swing the heavy .308 around, may have been a lil problematic. I though that I might be better served at that close a range with a AR platform that would be a little more "pointable" if it came to that.

they why not get a quick detach system for your lightweight AR... the quality quick disconnects can return your zero to withing 1/4 of an inch evertime, which inside of 100 yards, that wouldnt hardly matter in the least. that and a bipod attachment for your current ar.... just a thought.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    If you are knowingly going to be taking a rifle and possibly having to use it for a barracaded bad guy, I'd be looking at the 308 instead of the 223 first off. Too many GI's have been complaining about the 223/5.56 for finishing power and that continues today.

I would suggest you look at a DPMS 308 and even though it's heavy, you can configure it any way you'd like. You could special order a 308B with 18" heavy barrel A3 upper, upgraded trigger and a collapsable stock and you'd be good to go. I used to have a bare bones 308B that was incredibly accurate. That may be something to consider in the case your bad guy ever has friends with him.

If you have your heart set on a RRA heavy barrel, may i suggest this one: RRA Varmint A4 18inch Bead Blast SS Bull : Semi-auto at GunBroker.com

It's an 18" bead blast barrel, 6-pos stock, NM trigger with a bigger trigger guard. I'd buy this in a second if I had the extra $$ right now.

Apokalypsi

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Speedway
    If you are knowingly going to be taking a rifle and possibly having to use it for a barracaded bad guy, I'd be looking at the 308 instead of the 223 first off. Too many GI's have been complaining about the 223/5.56 for finishing power and that continues today.
    My thoughts exactly. Switch platforms, not calibers. Keep the .308 for penetration reasons and use it in an AR platform. There are quite a few companies who make ARs in .308. I personally don't have any experience with them, but I hear some good things. DPMS and RRA are great from word of mouth.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Hey guys I just wanted to pick your brains concerning Rock River accuracy. I am looking at the Predator Pursuit and/or the Varmint uppers. I am building a semi auto "sniper" type rifle and was thinking about using one of these uppers or building one using an aftermarket barrel/parts/Vltor modular upper receiver. This wont be a range or hunting gun, I wil actuall be using it on calls out at work. I have a nice Remington 700 for most call outs, but there have been times pop up that a AR platform, I think, would have been better option. Anyway let me know what you think please. Thanks.

From the original post, it looks like this Officer has a 308 option and thinks that a 223 AR15 will be ideal for some situations. He is not alone in this belief.

OP, if needed I can get you in contact with Big Daddy on the FWPD to build you what you want. Or just to discuss what you want to do. SgtChromedome on this forum is another one..

Regards

thomjb

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 31, 2009
    Southern IN
    I have a Predator Pursuit Upper and it is very accurate with the right ammo. Will do less than one inch at 100 meters with the right ammo and me doing my part.

Top Bottom