• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Took my RIA to Indy Trading Post today to try out the Chip McCormick and Wilson Combat mags. I was sure they would take care of my FTF issues. I was wrong. :( It still hates HP ammo, and was consistently jamming on the last round of the 8 round mags (both brands) with ball ammo. I was THIS close to seeing what Brian would give me in trade on a Ruger .357. I don't know what to try next. Those last rounds appeared to be hanging on the top of the barrel/chamber throat. I don't know if I should try polishing that like I did the feed ramp or what. Very disappointing! A buddy suggested that a lighter recoil spring might help, but to me that's counter-intuitive.

Any ideas from the 1911 folks? :dunno:

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Thanks! I'll do that tomorrow morning. I sure didn't expect to have this much trouble with a brand new gun, but I know it happens with the best of 'em.

I had trouble at first, too. I dealt with them three times...but they really strive to make you happy so you'll be a repeat customer and spread good reviews about them. I've been happy so far and I'm really picky. :D

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I had trouble at first, too. I dealt with them three times...but they really strive to make you happy so you'll be a repeat customer and spread good reviews about them. I've been happy so far and I'm really picky. :D
    I really do want to be happy with this gun. (But gosh, that GP100 was sure purty!) :):

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I'm not planning on trading in the RIA, but I did go back and get the GP 100.

IMG_1756.jpg

Told ya it was purty! :D

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    GP-100's ROCK! You WILL not be disappointed. Will handle ANY 357 magnum rounds you put through it. That cannot be said for some other brands.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    On its way...

Armscor sent me the shipping label and I just dropped off the pistol at Fedex. They said to expect a 3-4 week turnaround time, so now I wait. Hopefully it will be 100% when it comes back! :) I sent the stock mag, plus the Chip McCormick and Wilson mags and asked them to test the gun with all 3.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    That gun will always hate HP ammo. some mid-range 1911's hate HP ammo. They were originally designed for Ball round. The ramps and all the angles are specifically cut for ball. I do not run HP in any of my ramp frame 1911's. The ramp barrel Para's will run it and we use it in them. Hornaday critical defense works well for personal protection.
    The RIA is totally mil-spec and loose at that but they do work for the most part.
    I am sure it will run when you get it back.

PS...not saying I told ya so but, well, Na, carry on...............;)

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    That gun will always hate HP ammo. some mid-range 1911's hate HP ammo. They were originally designed for Ball round. The ramps and all the angles are specifically cut for ball. I do not run HP in any of my ramp frame 1911's.

My Rock MS runs it fine. They made sure of that before sending it back... so said the smith on the phone from the test range when they still had possession.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    That gun will always hate HP ammo. some mid-range 1911's hate HP ammo. They were originally designed for Ball round. The ramps and all the angles are specifically cut for ball. I do not run HP in any of my ramp frame 1911's. The ramp barrel Para's will run it and we use it in them. Hornaday critical defense works well for personal protection.
    The RIA is totally mil-spec and loose at that but they do work for the most part.

PS...not saying I told ya so but, well, Na, carry on...............;)
    Actually I could live with it if it didn't like HP. Ball ammo has worked in them for 100+ years, so... :)

And yeah, you did tell me so... :):

subtlesixer03

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 22, 2010
    I'm not planning on trading in the RIA, but I did go back and get the GP 100.

IMG_1756.jpg

Told ya it was purty! :D

I love my gp100 as well. I like those grips on it. Ill have to see if i can find them online some place. I have the old plainer style and a set of nice target ones I just dont use but are great feeling. They would be great for hunting just not carry or dresser duty.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I love my gp100 as well. I like those grips on it. Ill have to see if i can find them online some place. I have the old plainer style and a set of nice target ones I just dont use but are great feeling. They would be great for hunting just not carry or dresser duty.
    I'm not sure if these grips are available or not since it's a TALO edition. If not exactly the same, I would imagine there's something similar out there. They really are comfortable!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    My Rock MS runs it fine. They made sure of that before sending it back... so said the smith on the phone from the test range when they still had possession.

I am sure they made it right for you. I have done the ramps on a few of mine after watching it be done by those who know.

Top Bottom