• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pheenix42

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Lafayette, IN
    Namely, how durable are they? And, if so desired, can you get a .22LR conversion kit for one? (I really liked my brother-in-law's Kimber that was set up that way..):popcorn:

PS: In the same shop, I saw a used Para Ordnance compact .45 on the shelf...anyone have experience with one of these?

slacker

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapols, IN
    I was in plainfield shooting supplies the other day and tried the trigger on a Para 1911. It has the "LDA" Light double action trigger and it sure was smooth all the way through. I really liked it, but it was on a compact gun and I am shopping for a full-size.

colt45er

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Avon, IN
    I personally I have never shot a RIA 1911, however I have heard only good things for them. I almost bought one a few months ago but ended buying a colt instead.

Fort Liberty Firearms in Avon usually has some for around $399. Not a bad price at all for a 1911.

pheenix42

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Lafayette, IN
    Pheenix, where are you doing your shopping??

Sir, I was killing some time in a local pawn shop close to where I live, and they had these in a display case. The Rock Island pistol was brand new, the Para was used but in very good condition.:) Same place also had a Rock Island pistol that looked identical to the .45, but it was chambered in .38 Super instead.

Last edited:

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    The RIA is the Glock of the 1911 world.

I just had my first failure to feed, and I'm still trying to explain it all the way. I did polish the feed ramp to a mirror afterward, and no more problems. (Ammo that hung up on the frame's feed ramp was an old style Hydra-Shok.)

Josh <><

Yamaha

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Summitville,IN
    I personally I have never shot a RIA 1911, however I have heard only good things for them. I almost bought one a few months ago but ended buying a colt instead.

Fort Liberty Firearms in Avon usually has some for around $399. Not a bad price at all for a 1911.

they have very good prices, I got my g33 from them at the 1500, may be going back to get the 454 casull.....lol

Meyertrees

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2008
    Borden, IN
    I have a Colt 22 conversion kit for the 1911 I will sell. It has been used but still in the original box. I also have one extra magazine for it. (2 total) $400 for all.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    I have a Colt 22 conversion kit for the 1911 I will sell. It has been used but still in the original box. I also have one extra magazine for it. (2 total) $400 for all.

Hello,

I don't mean to be rude, but the sources that I have (Kimber and Brownell's) advertise new ones for about that price.

Just an observation.

If you truly don't want it, you might put it up in the For Sale or Trade section of the site, when your post count gets to the point where it's allowed.

Josh <><

Meyertrees

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2008
    Borden, IN
    This is an original Colt. The ones at Brownells are made by Ciener. The Colt is different. They are the floating chamber type with a steel slide. Most other conversions (Marvel, Ciener, etc) have an aluminum slide and no floating chamber. I don't know about the Kimber.

The floating chamber increases the recoil so it can use the heavier slide. They are probably no better, they just have the Colt name! This is a nice unit in good condition.

Colt used to make a complete 22 pistol using the same unit. It was called the Colt Ace. It was a very nice pistol but they are rare today.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Back to the action:

I have had a Rock Island once, great gun. If only the guy I bought it from didnt think he was a gunsmith, it would have been stellar. What I can comment on is that I built a gun frame up (Armscor frame, so it is essentially the same thing, but also shows how much the other guy mangled the RIA) using the parts from the mangled RIA and it has worked wonderfully. I have been thinking of giving it to my father, but every time I run some loads after tuning/fitting, I really wonder if that will happen :D. He has a Ladysmith, he will be fine:D.

I know the cast vs. forged arguement comes up all the time in regards to longevity. All is disputed, but cast will have a lower round count, but to the average shooter, this is a non-issue. In fact, I prefer a cast over forged frame 1911 for a carry gun in that I am not going to run .460 Rowland through the thing (so a super strength forged frame isnt required), but also the cast has always seemed lighter to me. Lighter without Alloy (which may have lower round expectancy than cast steel).

My two cents...

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom