ROCK ISLAND ARMORY 1911 (owner satisfaction poll)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Have you or someone you know PERSONALLY been happy or unhappy with a RIA 1911?

• Total voters

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Never owned one...shot more than a few. Seen a bunch with issues. More than not they had problems. Some were mag related as with most entry level 1911's but some were failure of parts.
    Just not a reliable gun in my opinion. For what my opinion is actually worth.....it wont get you a cup of coffee at the corner joint but a dollar will....................:)

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I own one of the first ones made and it had issues of not going full battery with certain rounds...
    Armscor took it, re-barreled it, polished the feed ramp, tuned it, and called me on my cell from their test fire range while they were in the middle of doing stuff to it, to ask me pertinent questions. They wanted to make sure it fed exactly what I was shooting.
    It was their goal to make me a happy camper. I still have it and would own another.
    +1 RIA.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    What about a category for those who have never owned one and don't know anyone that has owned one... I want to give my opinion as well :-)

PMPORTER

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Bought the GI Model when they came out and for the money it has been a great gun. Has spent many a day at the range and many more riding in the door panel. I would and do trust my RIA with my life. Its not pretty like some of the more expensive brands, but it goes bang every time and is pretty accurate IMO. So if you are looking for an inexpensive 1911 to get in the game RIA is a safe bet.

FERLACH

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    Plainfield
    I own a basic RI 1911, works perfect with everything I have fed it. I put a Kimber 22 conversion kit on it, and it works perfect with that also. I am very pleased with mine.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I have an RIA Compact and it has been a great gun. It's held it's own with Kimbers, Colts, a Springfield, a Sig and a Remington. I did replace the recoil spring early on to go a bit heavier (22# if I recall) and the wolff springs do have a very short lifespan at around 450 rounds but that's my only gripe. I don't think the factory spring had that short of a replacement interval, but if I bought the same single spring for a Colt sub compact, it would have the same restriction.

When I carry mine, it's with Wilson Combat mags. At first, I had a couple of mag issues which went away with the WC mags. I don't hold that against RIA though for two reasons. The ACT mag is shipped with now seems to work fine and I had no more mag issues with the RIA than I did with my Kimbers and Sig 1911s. The only factory mags that seem to like their own gun are the ones that came with my Colt DE and my Remington. All other mags seem to have needed a bit of break in to function well.

Last edited:

walt o

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Hammond
    I personally own 5 RIA guns tactical full size, plain compact . mid size all in 45 cal, , compact tactical 9 mm and a full size STI spartan 9mm. I am satisfied with all, also have colts& Springfield, a kimber .notice 1 kimber thats enough .for what they cost the quality is not there to brag about. I have yet to put a set of grips on a kimber for a customers and not have e grip screw bushing come out with the screw .All manufactures make mistakes that is why they have customer service departments and some gun owners are ANAL also.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I own one of the first ones made and it had issues of not going full battery with certain rounds...
    Armscor took it, re-barreled it, polished the feed ramp, tuned it, and called me on my cell from their test fire range while they were in the middle of doing stuff to it, to ask me pertinent questions. They wanted to make sure it fed exactly what I was shooting.
    It was their goal to make me a happy camper. I still have it and would own another.
    +1 RIA.

They have excellent customer service.

The Monkey has spoken, this thread can be closed now.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    A friend of mine just called me about his RIA. Hammer is falling on the pin when he cycles a round into battery off a fresh Mag. Sometimes runs 3 to 5 rds off at a time. Told him I could fix that for him but get the card out as "Good" parts aint cheap. I also told him if it runs full auto with out feed issues he has a good one....:)
    This gun has in excess of 2K out the pipe. It has ran well enough for him after he bought and tuned some good Mags for it. I polished the ramps and set the mag depth in it or it was just a paper weight.
    Now we get to put some Wilson or Brown parts in it.

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    A friend of mine just called me about his RIA. Hammer is falling on the pin when he cycles a round into battery off a fresh Mag. Sometimes runs 3 to 5 rds off at a time. Told him I could fix that for him but get the card out as "Good" parts aint cheap. I also told him if it runs full auto with out feed issues he has a good one....:)
    This gun has in excess of 2K out the pipe. It has ran well enough for him after he bought and tuned some good Mags for it. I polished the ramps and set the mag depth in it or it was just a paper weight.
    Now we get to put some Wilson or Brown parts in it.

Full auto 1911's are cool. :)

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom