• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Littlejoe

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Elrod Indiana
    Have a chance to buy a RIA 1911 .45 that i think is the GI model. I have one in 9mm and it is great to shoot, eat's everything i have put through it. But it is to heavy to CC for me. It would be nice to have a mate for it in.45 cal.... I can get it for $325 no box. just holster and one mag. I hear they have a life time warranty. Is this true? Anyone had to deal with them?

Thanks Guys
    Littlejoe

scatwater

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2011
    North East Indiana
    Search the threads on here. I ve seen this question come up a few times and Im a pretty new member here. You will find many people that own them like them very much. I dont own one yet. But it will be my first .45 1911.

Spyke05

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I have had alot of customers at the shop I work at buying the Rock Islands and they all seem very satisfied I have heard no complaints and the ones I have dealt with are very nice no nonsense weapons.

shavedforbattle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Evansville
    Do these guns go boom when you pull the trigger? Yes. Are they just about the ugliest 1911 of all time? Yes. I personally can't get past the look of this particular gun, but if you can, I'm sure it will be a good shooter.

oldshaky

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 13, 2011
    Greensburg
    My friend has one , its about plain jane as anything ive ever seen . It does shoot very good and all parts can be upgraded just like any other 1911

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    It's definitely a great 1911 for the money. It will not let you down. I'm certainly getting another one if I find a nice deal.

Let me know if you get it. I have three ACT-MAG magazines that I bought for the one I owned. I no longer have the gun and the mags won't work in my other 1911s. I'll give you a good deal on them.

modelflyer2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Eastern Indiana
    I have one (see my Avatar), and I love it. I have only shot ball ammo through it yet, but the ramps often need polished to feed hallowpoints, so I hear. My RIA has a satin stainless finish and ambidexterous safety. It's too light for my liking and easy to flip to safety-off when in condition 1. It is very accurate. Armscor (the owner of Rock Island Armory) is a Philipine company that acquired the factory and machines that Colt used to make the 1911 in the Philipines. So basically the company is pumping out Colt 1911s at a cheaper price. Perhaps the tolerances aren't the same, but the price is right. You may be able to get a new GI model RIA for darn near the same price. Check out new to see.

brandonq2

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 15, 2010
    Montgomery county
    I bought my Rock Island m1911a1 used about 6 years ago because I was specifically looking for a GI .45. As soon as I saw it I wanted it, and once I got it to the range I was pleasantly surprised. It's been my EDC for the last 5 years, and has eaten everything I've fed it from cheap fmj, quality hollow points, and more often lately my own reloads.

It ran just fine in stock form, but I have upgraded to a DSA stainless barrel, Wilson Combat full length guide rod, and switched to generic double diamond wood grip panels. As stated earlier, it's nothing fancy, but it works and is a hoot to shoot. In all honesty, no matter what else I end up with, I plan to hand this pistol down to my son when he's a little older (20mo now, haha.)

winstonsmith84

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2011
    Middletown
    I "intend" to buy a GI Rock Island in .45 this spring once our generous uncle gives me back my money. I'm a fan of simple plain military type handguns. I'll probably replace the grips with plastic GI ones.

The Rock Island GI one that I shot seemed fine. Sights are awful, but they are just GI sights. Nothing fancy. Went bang every time with ball, but like everyone else has said, did not feed HP's consistently.

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I have a RIA Tactical 2011 model and I love it. Shoots great.

Sure Id rather have a Kimber or nicer Springfield because they look so pretty but for the $$ the RIA are great. Id probably spend a little more and get the tactical if you can. Has more upgrades but the sights are already dovetailed in the front so replacing sights is far easier. Just my .02

ftwphilly

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I've heard any modifications not done by the factory will void any lifetime warranty. Thoughts? Then again why does a good 1911 need a warranty?

Lead Head

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    Northeast Indiana
    "Armscor (the owner of Rock Island Armory) is a Philipine company that acquired the factory and machines that Colt used to make the 1911 in the Philipines."

I've heard the same thing regarding Colt's old machining, etc. I guess the question is why don't they look like a Colt ?

An original service Colt appears small (for a 1911) and has very little in common (appearance wise) with Rock Island. If someone has some more info on the RI/Colt connection, please share.

Anyway, another INGO member from a different 1911 thread mentioned something like it might be worth saving some more greenbacks for something that meets all of your expectations, this way you won't have to replace parts, upgrade sights, etc. The cost of a good trigger job on a base model RI might encourage you to save up for something that is factory ready. Maybe a RI is good enough. Just sayin'. :)

The one thing I tell anyone asking about 1911's is to go put one in your hand. Also remember they gain weight when loaded which affects the balance too.

Concealment is a whole different thread.

Good luck !

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I've been happy with mine. I decided to put an extended thumb safety in and the C&S part I bought fit fine with just a bit of work with a stone. I wish they used standard sights, but other than that, I'm very happy with the one I have.

38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    I've got one that I paid around $350 for a couple years ago. I'd do it again. It's my first 1911 - just wanted to try out the 1911 style.

The sights are very simple but I think easy to use (GI style) and I don't find it hard at all to be accurate with.

$325 is a great price. Go for it.

Top Bottom