• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    I finally decided to step into the 1911 world. It will mainly be a range toy and something to tinker around on. I don't know much about 1911's, so I wanted to get a cheaper one just to get used to the style, then if I fall in love with them I will get a Springfield.

My local Rural King has this gun (https://us.armscor.com/products/tac-1911-fs-45acp)for $489 with wood grips. Is it a good deal? Also if I do get this gun, is it easily upgradeable or does it require brand specific parts? Like I said I am completely new to the 1911 world, and would like some advise.

randy68

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2012
    SW Indiana
    Hi Mark,
    I am from Dubois County also and I just ordered the 9mm version (51632) of that gun from Jeff's Bait Shop for $475 so $485 isn't too bad. The other local shops were a lot higher, but I forgot to check Rural King. Mine is supposed to be in tomorrow or friday and another guy I work with wants to check out mine when it gets here and then he might order one also.
    Later, Randy

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    Hi Mark,
    I am from Dubois County also and I just ordered the 9mm version (51632) of that gun from Jeff's Bait Shop for $475 so $485 isn't too bad. The other local shops were a lot higher, but I forgot to check Rural King. Mine is supposed to be in tomorrow or friday and another guy I work with wants to check out mine when it gets here and then he might order one also.
    Later, Randy

I may have to stop in and see what price they can get me then as long as it is a decent gun.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Over the last couple of years, RIA has been steadily improving their quality control and I believe they turn out a decent gun today. They turned out decent guns in the past, but there was a higher number of lemons that left the factory than seem to be found today. Every manufacturer can produce a lemon and I believe it comes from the tolerances they hold to. I think RIA has been improving that

My second 1911 was an RIA Compact and it's been a great gun. It is a standard 1911 in most ways and uses the same 1911 parts as others do. Right now, I have the almost complete fire control part setup from my Colt Delta Elite in my RIA. It's running an Ed Brown extended thumb safety too. Not only has it been a great gun to shoot, it's been fun to work on too.

jjohnson

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 1, 2011
    I had an RIA compact 1911 in .45 acp. I really liked the gun. It shot well and fed just about everything I put through it. It did not like the steel case stuff however. The only reason I got rid of it was to cut down on my calibers. I like .40 caliber more than .45. Hope this helps.

Vamptepes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2013
    Eagledale
    There sights are about the only problem. Novak style cut but not Novak size. The newer ones they were supposed to go to true Novak cut. Don't know if they have yet or not.
    Tldr; the sights are a pain to change depending.

gmcman355

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2011
    If you would like to shoot a RIA before buying I may be able to help out. I work in jasper and live just a little north of there. if you are interested let me know

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    If you would like to shoot a RIA before buying I may be able to help out. I work in jasper and live just a little north of there. if you are interested let me know

Thanks for the offer, but mine will probably be in before I can get some free time to shoot. I am always looking for more range buddies though.

FireBirdDS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    I'm curious myself how the RIAs run. After holding one and comparing it to one or two SA Operators I've held in hand, the RIA feels "rough around the edges" almost. Didn't get a chance to shoot it, though I wonder if it would feel somewhat snappier than an SA Operator model. It might be reliable as an AK, but also as rough riding as an AK I wonder, if anyone can attest to (?)

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Finish on RIA's are a little rough/thin. I don't think either of mine (9mm & 45) are snappy.
    Your "rough around the edges" did remind me of one more thing, on the tactical models, the ambi safety does have some sharp corners.
    I'm not to concerned about it though, I planned on refinishing mine from the start. Mine are older ones with the big billboard RIA on the center of the slide.

pdg45acp

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Kokomo
    I bought one at Rural King Thursday night.

1f095880-f33a-4fd9-9dd9-ee1d9a315c73.jpg

After one day of shooting here's what I know about it.

Accuracy is outstanding, it's every bit as accurate as my early 90s Kimber.

The mag they give you with the gun isn't all that great and doesn't drop free but it works.

I've had zero feed problems with Chip McCormick Power Mags in the gun.

I hate the ambi safety but I always hate ambi safetys.

The rear sight has holes for dots to be painted in. Why didn't they just go ahead and put white paint in them?

If you want to put differnt grips on it you have to get grips cut for Rock Island ambi safteys, there are companies that actually make them.

It feels a little rough, not like a early model Kimber or a Colt.

The price is excellent for the gun you get.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    If the RIA has rear sights in prep for painting, use the night glow paint offered by the gun parts companies. I like neon green, orange, red, something to focus on the front sight, and it does make a difference on a standard shooting target. I have seen guys use "white out", but it scrapes off, and I have used fingernail polish, same issue. I have been rocking a RIA for a few years without disappointment. Decent guns, priced to sell-shoot, and if you care to change anything, most Colt parts slide in without major rework. My Gov't is basically a Series 70 model, so internals are easy to work on.
    Good luck on yours.

bjenkins

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jul 4, 2014
    jeffersonville
    I'm curious myself how the RIAs run. After holding one and comparing it to one or two SA Operators I've held in hand, the RIA feels "rough around the edges" almost. Didn't get a chance to shoot it, though I wonder if it would feel somewhat snappier than an SA Operator model. It might be reliable as an AK, but also as rough riding as an AK I wonder, if anyone can attest to (?)
    I have the TAC II 45 and the SA Operator very similar shooting guns and the TAC II you cant beat for the money but you can tell a difference in quality. Both have a home in my safe.

Top Bottom