Rock Chucker IV Failure Common Occurrence??

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HuntMeister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 21, 2010
    I was priming some cases the other day on my Rockchucker when all of a sudden everything got discomboobulated!
    Of course RCBS being the upstanding outfit they are has replacement parts on the way.
    Does this happen much?
    Is it something that can be prevented? My suspicion is that the priming arm stem backed out a turn or so but cannot be certain now.
    Luckily I have a back up bench top priming tool!

Stryker1025

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2013
    Brownsburg
    It is possible that the priming arm wasn't seating properly into the Ram as Your describing it backing out of the press a little bit. Vibrations from your ram action may cause this- you may be able to correct it with lock tight or other to ensure its not backing out regularly.

also consider that the brass you were priming may have had a misshap to the priming seat so when you raised the ram the priming cup wasn't aligned for that piece of brass and a jam (feels like) occurred stressing the priming arm and break. I use a Big Boss II press and at times seating the primer I have this happen and it's consistently been the Patti ulnar piece of brass. I pick up a lot of range brass and sort my caliber and MFG but this still happens from time to time.

Awesome job having a back up on hand, might ask RCBS for an extra set of spare parts as well.

HDSilvrStreak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Fishers
    I've reloaded thousands of rounds using a RockChucker. Of that, I maybe primed 20 or so using the press. I always use a hand priming tool. It's quicker and easier than trying to use the one with the press. I much prefer the hand tool to the press way.

DaKruiser

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    I've reloaded thousands of rounds using a RockChucker. Of that, I maybe primed 20 or so using the press. I always use a hand priming tool. It's quicker and easier than trying to use the one with the press. I much prefer the hand tool to the press way.

:+1: the RCBS hand priming tool is fast and easy to use, well worth the money.

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    144   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I definitely like the control and ability to feel the the seating pressure afforded by a hand priming tool. I have used the Lee and RCBS and other than the need for seperate shellholders on the Lee both are great.

Top Bottom