• ...and so much more!
  • Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    How about Pendleton? It's a nice, small, quiet town. Nothing could ever happen there.

Well, they closed down the Dairy Queen, so there's no place for the escapees to go, so... nobody tries to escape from the reformatory anymore... right?

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Since man was kicked out of the Garden, the Whole World is a dangerous place.:oldwise:

Can we not have a discussion about real-world events without fantasy being brought up?

Many people, even many devout Christians, consider the story of the Garden of Eden a metaphor for the entry of evil into the world.

It seems a little extreme to me for you to take it as a reference to a literal, word for word interpretation of the book of Genesis.

Still, I suppose you are entitled to be offended, if you so choose.

Fair warning: I do, occasionally, quote words and phrases that are in the Bible. If that bothers you, you may want to avoid my posts.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Many people, even many devout Christians, consider the story of the Garden of Eden a metaphor for the entry of evil into the world.

It seems a little extreme to me for you to take it as a reference to a literal, word for word interpretation of the book of Genesis.

Still, I suppose you are entitled to be offended, if you so choose.

Fair warning: I do, occasionally, quote words and phrases that are in the Bible. If that bothers you, you may want to avoid my posts.

For a site that doesn't allow discussing religious topics there is a lot of that going around. You may have good points so I'll take your posts on a case-by-case basis and ignore the parts I don't agree with.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    If the reference to the Garden of Eden is taken as "religious" instead of a figure of speech, then must we not also disallow such things as "I don't know him from Adam" and "...not since Methuselah was a boy?"

Also, is not taking it as religious and labeling it "fantasy" a "discussion" (i.e. a denigration) of religion?

Perhaps your skin was a little thin today.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    If the reference to the Garden of Eden is taken as "religious" instead of a figure of speech, then must we not also disallow such things as "I don't know him from Adam" and "...not since Methuselah was a boy?"

Also, is not taking it as religious and labeling it "fantasy" a "discussion" (i.e. a denigration) of religion?

How can he be denigrating religion if he was referring to your "figure of speech"? You can't have it both ways, using a figure of speech is OK, but keep the religious talk off of INGO.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    If I say, "I tried that a million times," I am using a figure of speech.
    If I am accused of lying, the accuser is denying it is a figure of speech and claiming I made a statement of fact.

A figure of speech would be accepted as such. By labeling my comment "fantasy," Frank_N_Stein converted my statement into a religious comment and attacked it as a religious comment.
    Hence, Frank made it religious and began a religious discussion.

At least, it seems to me that he took what could easily be seen as a metaphor and found a way to complain.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN

I don't use those terms either.

A figure of speech would be accepted as such. By labeling my comment "fantasy," Frank_N_Stein converted my statement into a religious comment and attacked it as a religious comment.
    Hence, Frank made it religious and began a religious discussion.

At least, it seems to me that he took what could easily be seen as a metaphor and found a way to complain.

You posted a reference to the "Garden." Just because you didn't type "of Eden" doesn't mean it doesn't have a religious connotation. I would have a hard time believing that the majority of members that saw your reference didn't realize what you were referring to. You posted a religious comment (in violation of INGO rules) and got called on it.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    OK, I re-read the rules:

Religious and racially based threads of any nature are not allowed on INGunOwners.com.
    All Indiana Gun Owners should feel comfortable on this forum no matter their race, religion or color. Everyone is welcome here on INGO and should feel comfortable being associated with this site.

I apologize that my reference to the garden made you feel uncomfortable.

I did not understand that the rule prohibits any mention of anything that occurs in any religious text, doctrine, or tradition.
    Apparently, I was wrong.

I would have thought the rule that prohibits mentioning religion would also prohibit calling it fantasy.
    Guess I was wrong about that, too.

(sigh)

Last edited:

mlzoiss

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2012
    Carmel, IN
    I thought this thread was about a break in in Carmel. Any updates? Yes, I am changing it back to the original topic.

Uh...Yeah after the last two pages I had to re-read the title of the thread to remember the comment I was going to leave. If someone is going to complain about a one-sentence religious reference could you try to maybe keep your argument to less than 10 extra posts!?!:dunno: Or start a new thread and take your rant there...or not via INGO rules. When your offense offends others in return, maybe you should just learn to keep your mouth shut.

SO, we live in the neighborhood right next door and my husband saw police everywhere looking for the suspect. And people want to know why we have guns? Yes, even necessary in Carmel. Of course, we do not yet have it loaded and ready to go since we just finished a remodel.

But my friend in Irvington says her neighborhood was up in arms, because of the multitude of police and swat teams in Carmel for one suspect, and they can't even get anyone to seriously investigate multiple rapes in their neighborhood that occurred early in the morning.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    But my friend in Irvington says her neighborhood was up in arms, because of the multitude of police and swat teams in Carmel for one suspect, and they can't even get anyone to seriously investigate multiple rapes in their neighborhood that occurred early in the morning.

Your friend is talking without thinking.

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008

Your friend in Irvington needs to understand that the number of crimes per capita in Irvington far exceeds that of Carmel. Can't blame IMPD for violent crime in East Side anymore than you can blame the US military for violent crime in Afghanistan.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008

Those folks want "urban living," then they want suburban style government services. Sorry, but if one wants to live where a decent sized % of the population is on welfare and/or lower income, then understand there will be limited funds to fund LE agencies like you see up in the HC. Plus, lower income usually goes hand-in-hand with criminal activity. So living urban means more crime and usually scaled back government services in the municipality.

Top Bottom