• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BobDaniels

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Boone Co
    +1 for the homeonwner defending himself and property.
    -1 for the other BG on the run. Hope the homeonwer keeps himself armed until the second guy is caught.

Lessons to learn:
    1. Always keep the doors locked, even during the day. (my other half gives me a hard time about this because "we live out in the sticks":rolleyes: )
    2. Never open the door for an unknown.
    3. Keep the HD gun handy

I used to live just outside downtown Indy, seemed like everyday there was a knock at the door. Oddly enough, I was not expecting visitors for most of those knocks. I would always speak to them through the door and look through the blinds in an obvious manner, the end result was the knocker slinking off my porch, holding up their pants with one hand.

If someone insists on making a phone call, I ask for the number and make the call for them. For some reason, it always ends in me being called an a-hole and them slinking off my porch with no phone call being made. Guess they didn't need to make that phone call after all!

That said, I hope I never have to be put in the position to pull the trigger.

Trevorreplys

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2009
    Wow criminals are sure getting gutsy. I know I wouldn't walk in to a random house to steal from it when I know the people are home. Any details if the criminals had firearms? I mean at least if they had those it would make a little more sense just to waltz on in there.

jackadew

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Washington Co.
    Yes the deceased was from Salem...the BecksMill Rd. area.

I am new to the forum and look forward to checking out the site.

The failed home invasion was just 1/2 mile down the road from my home. So the term "hitting close to home" is ringing loud.

Trevorreplys

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2009
    Yes the deceased was from Salem...the BecksMill Rd. area.

I am new to the forum and look forward to checking out the site.

The failed home invasion was just 1/2 mile down the road from my home. So the term "hitting close to home" is ringing loud.

Yikes 1/2 Mile guess its time to load up a few extra mags hah. Welcome to INGO. :ingo:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    So the dude was from Salem... One would expect that he knew "how" the local populace were...

Guess no one ever accused criminals of being smart, eh?

jackadew

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Washington Co.
    Thanks for the welcome! Yea 1/2 mile is a little to close for comfort. I have only lived here for a short time and haven't meet the gentleman that had to protect his home. I plan on introducing myself in a couple weeks. Maybe something good can come from this, and we can organize a neihborhood watch group.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    These guys should have known since they lived in Salem that the whole town is for the most part armed to the teeth

This happened in Salem? Salem, Indiana (not Massachusetts)?

There must be a lot of better choices than home invasion in Washington County. I've been through much of the southern counties, especially along the river. I've never seen such a concentration of armed individuals.

LCSOSgt11

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    LaPorte, IN
    Other than the possible PTSD the homeowner may have or is having, let's put a positive spin so to speak on this incident:

1. No "innocents" were harmed.
    2. No taxpayer incarceration costs incurred.
    3. No taxpayer trial costs incurred.
    4. No LTWS defense attorney's costs incurred.

As horrible as taking a life may be, we all need to realize at one point in time that society could live without some of these criminals, and if nature won't take the course, maybe sometimes the Darwinian Theory needs a kick start.

I fervently hope that the homeowner comes out OK and suffers no ill effects from this incident.

Be alert. It may be worth your life.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Thanks for the welcome! Yea 1/2 mile is a little to close for comfort. I have only lived here for a short time and haven't meet the gentleman that had to protect his home. I plan on introducing myself in a couple weeks. Maybe something good can come from this, and we can organize a neihborhood watch group.

UH, Dude; Word of advice.. ... . . . . .Call ahead!:laugh:

Hank in Indiana

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2009
    South Central In
    My son in law lives within sight of the house. The unofficial report that I heard is that the first intruder did not have a mask, the second did. They asked for the money and they were given his wallet. They then asked for the REAL money. The home owner came back with a gun and killed the first guy and the second ran out. The second is rumored to be a nephew of the victim. That was why he wore the mask, and had knowledge of hidden money. So far I have no knowledge that this info is true at this time.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    I used to live just outside downtown Indy, seemed like everyday there was a knock at the door. Oddly enough, I was not expecting visitors for most of those knocks. I would always speak to them through the door and look through the blinds in an obvious manner, the end result was the knocker slinking off my porch, holding up their pants with one hand.

If someone insists on making a phone call, I ask for the number and make the call for them. For some reason, it always ends in me being called an a-hole and them slinking off my porch with no phone call being made. Guess they didn't need to make that phone call after all!

If this happens, call the cops. They may or may not do anything, but at least request a squad car drive through the area. Offer to give a statement, as it can help to at least identify the person if they are seen a few streets over.

BobDaniels

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Boone Co
    If this happens, call the cops. They may or may not do anything, but at least request a squad car drive through the area. Offer to give a statement, as it can help to at least identify the person if they are seen a few streets over.

I gave up calling the police when lived in that house. It seems having your house broke into a few times is not a good reason to call the police as the response time was over an hour each time (3 hours one time!) with absolutely no follow-up. I left a dozen messages for the detective assigned to my case and never had my calls returned.

I fixed the problem by moving the heck out of Indy and got lucky by finding a decent renter for that house.

/end thread jack

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    My son in law lives within sight of the house. The unofficial report that I heard is that the first intruder did not have a mask, the second did. They asked for the money and they were given his wallet. They then asked for the REAL money. The home owner came back with a gun and killed the first guy and the second ran out. The second is rumored to be a nephew of the victim. That was why he wore the mask, and had knowledge of hidden money. So far I have no knowledge that this info is true at this time.

THAT sounds more like a Salem news report! Everyone's related and there were plenty of assumptions to go around. (like hidden money...) Gotta love Washington County! If the above is true - I bet the guy is glad he didn't wind up killing his nephew. Or maybe not... :D

What a STUPID crime to try to pull off! And dang sure not worth your life. Get 'em out of the gene pool...

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom