• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 762Mike

Marksman
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Jan 10, 2011
    I thought about the rack the slide comment. To a normal non-enthusiast person, racking the slide or cocking a shotgun, chambering a round in an AK... those visual acts and sound keys are meant to intimidate. Maybe that's why you didn't have a bigger rush? Figure, if someone sees you and wants to take you out, they aren't going to roll up with an empty chamber? I don't know how I'd feel or handle it, but I'm pretty sure my adrenaline would be rushing.

Thanks for sharing.

grimor

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    Elkhart
    I thought about the rack the slide comment. To a normal non-enthusiast person, racking the slide or cocking a shotgun, chambering a round in an AK... those visual acts and sound keys are meant to intimidate. Maybe that's why you didn't have a bigger rush? Figure, if someone sees you and wants to take you out, they aren't going to roll up with an empty chamber? I don't know how I'd feel or handle it, but I'm pretty sure my adrenaline would be rushing.

Thanks for sharing.
    Some people don't know any better and would rack the slide even if they had one chambered.

SW.Ecks

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    LaPorte
    I don't know why I forgot to add these details in the OP, but IMO they're some of the most important:

Firstly, my cousin and I both noticed what kind of handgun it was right of way: Glock, unknown caliber, but it was a fullsize

Second, the officers and the detective on the case were all very professional, and very helpful. Hats off to the East Chicago PD.

Third, I did indeed have my SW1911 in Condition 1 (is that right, one in the chamber, hammer cocked and safety on? I get my numbers mixed up lol).

Fourth, after the incident, I was glad they didn't know I had my gun because they definatly had the drop on us and looking back I know they'd have taken her too. I was wearing coveralls, thankfully. I sacrificed the ability to easily draw for concealabilty, but in this case if I could go back I would carry the same way again. But now that they know I'm carrying I haven't been wearing my coveralls, so that I can be prepared if something happens there again before we finish our job.

Thanks to everyone for all your comments so far, I'll be sure to take in as much information and consider every opinion and pass this thread on to anyone else I know who works in bad neighborhoods like this so they can learn from it as well.

Last edited:

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Make sure your grandfather (or who ever lives in the house) is extremely careful in the upcoming few weeks and months.

Retaliation is huge among the gangs, including EC. Not to mention wanting to break into the house when it's empty for a gun. They aren't the sharpest and act on impulse... them making a second trip back to you proves that.

+1 to you, you did what you felt was best and came out unscathed.

SW.Ecks

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    LaPorte
    Prometheus, it's a job that we're doing for my grandpa's business, I see your point though. He was only there because he was waiting for the boiler to be delivered and was giving the driver directions. We're keeping our heads on a swivel though, we figured they might be gang related and I know how primitive they think when it comes to something like this. Personally, if someone shot at me, especially three .45 ACP's, I would steer very clear of them. Unfortunately I'm sure we all know that isn't the case with gang members.

[EDIT]: IndianaResident, it's funny you mention that because my cousin and I were joking that I should trade my 1911 for an AR15, I know I'd have hit them with that ;) I normally OC, but my jacket covers all but the last half inch or so on my 1911, so it's still pretty noticeable.

SirRealism

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Fourth, after the incident, I was glad they didn't know I had my gun because they definatly had the drop on us and looking back I know they'd have taken her too. I was wearing coveralls, thankfully. I sacrificed the ability to easily draw for concealabilty, but in this case if I could go back I would carry the same way again. But now that they know I'm carrying I haven't been wearing my coveralls, so that I can be prepared if something happens there again before we finish our job.

I can't speak for the bad guys, but if I were in their shoes, I wouldn't have messed with you if I had seen the 1911. I'd rather go a block over and pick on someone unarmed. But, not all criminals are that smart. Gang mentality is very different from your average robber.

Again, I'm glad you and yours are safe.

SW.Ecks

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    LaPorte
    I'd have to agree with you, SirRealism, I'd steer clear of a 1911 any day lol. They probably would have thought "damn look at that gat, grab that sh*t"

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    SW.Ecks, I am glad to hear that you and your family are doing well and didn't get hurt in the altercation. You used your firearm in a defensive manner, which is the reason we carry them. Sounds like you are a very responsible gun owner. I say that because I probably would have fired until I saw spray. But you fired with the intent to hit, but only fired three rounds. :+1: The best part of this story is, 1) you had your pistol on you; 2) you deployed it after the threat was returning; and 3) you didn't have to "rack" the slide. Great job and blessing to you and your family.

What he said. Well done.

I concur that it would be wise to ask the mods to delete this and destroy the records. Too many ACLU types out there who could make your life miserable with the details you have shared.

I will make it a point to practice more. Marksmanship skill does not come not without training.

firemedic140

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Harlan, IN
    First of all...WHAT...that's silly.

Secondly, OP said he figured that out after the incident, see post #8.

Go spend some time in court. The BG can easily sue for mental distress or what ever he chooses. It's happened before where internet postings have come into a court case. I have no doubt that what he did was right. If you notice many members are saying get that info out of here. Maybe there's a good reason. Silly is you thinking it can't happen. Look at the lawsuits where the criminal was injured and won substantial amounts of money even though they were committing a crime.

Johnny C

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Solsberry , In
    OP, I see you are from LaPorte (I suppose LaPorte Indiana)

Didnt the coppers razz you about packing in Chicago?... I thought there was a NO CARRY thing in Chicago, plus you are from Indiana, so I suspect your permit is also?

What gives?

ihateiraq

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Upinya
    This. I'd love to hear how accurate everyone was the last time they shot at someone.
    deadly accurate.

OP, I see you are from LaPorte (I suppose LaPorte Indiana)

Didnt the coppers razz you about packing in Chicago?... I thought there was a NO CARRY thing in Chicago, plus you are from Indiana, so I suspect your permit is also?

What gives?
    east chi is in indiana.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Dunno. I probably would have killed 'em.

Watch for retaliation, if it's not been said yet.

What was the distance when they turned around? I can't imagine sights shooting that far off unless they were a good distance away.

Josh

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    There is no such thing as deleting anything once it's placed on an internet forum. OP, I would suggest you not discuss this matter by answering some of the very detailed questions being asked of you. If you feel that I'm infringing on your rights, please know I don't say this as a mod or wanna-be lawyer, but just as a concerned person who doesn't want to see this transcript taken out of context and doing harm to you and your family. :twocents:

Top Bottom