Road trip coming next week, can I carry?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • X piller X

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    Indy
    I'm planning a road trip to Pittsburgh next week. I've been carrying for about 2 years, and this is the first time I'm road tripping and would like to take the firearm with me. I'm completely lost as to where to research if they honor my license, and how I can legally carry within the state of Pennsylvania, and how I can travel through Ohio. Any guidance is appreciated.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Yes you can carry in PA since they honor Indiana's LTCH.

Ohio and West Virginia do now as well, but you must inform if stopped by police in Ohio. No duty to do so in PA.

Handgunlaw.us

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Just got back from driving through six states. Before leaving I went to http://www.handgunlaw.us/ and read up on each state making a chart for the following criteria that might vary from Indiana.

STATEMust Inform Officer by Law: YES/NO?
    Permits Honored: Do they honor an Indiana permit?
    Places Off-Limits: Any places off limit besides the typical Schools, Courthouses, etc.
    Rest Areas: Permitted to carry in roadside rest stops?
    No Gun Signs - Force of Law: What consequences does signage carry?
    Open Carry: Permitted or do I need to be extra careful about concealment and printing?
    Applebees/Bar: What are the rules about bars and restaurants like Applebees.

If any states do not honor my IN permit I would review the rules for transportation.

In addition I made sure I was well concealed as I traveled so that if I missed a rule my chances of being caught were minimized. Glad I was carrying this week as my destination took me within five miles of a mass shooting. You just never know when you might need your weapon.

X piller X

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    Indy
    So i looked at the handgun laws, and if I'm reading this right, in Ohio, I have to leave my firearm out of reach of me and passengers while in the vehicle?

X piller X

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    Indy
    Read it thinking three separate and distinct sets of rules.

1 Rules for those licensed to carry (you).
    2 Rules for RV carry (your house on wheels).
    3 Rules for those without a license transporting their weapon across state lines.

I just read it as rv/car? But I think I understand, vehicle carry applies to carrying on myself.

Thanks everyone for the help. There will be 2 safer motorists on the roads next week

Top Bottom