• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • westfork

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    Ellettsville
    Anybody ever kayak on rivers in Indiana? We are planning a little trip on the White River and are looking for input on overnight camping on this trip. In the past we have kayaked only on lakes surrounded by public land where this wasn't an issue (Deam Wilderness, etc).

Laws regarding the use of sandbars and such for overnighters are somewhat vague... Any input?

Slab

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    fort wayne
    I have kayaked a bit on the St Marys, but nothing camping wise. Good luck with the info.
    I'm going to subscribe to this thread and watch for responses. I'm searching for another boat right now.

westfork

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    Ellettsville
    we got lots of miles under our belts last summer on lakes and want to do something new this year, thus the river trip.

our main question is specifically about sandbars, as we know there are several along our route. do they belong to the river... or are the owned by someone. gray area. hmm...

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    My understanding, from reading up on this approximately 3-4 years ago, is that islands and sandbars are part of the river, and cannot be claimed as private property by the adjacent landowners. I am sorry that I cannot provide a source, as I don't remember where I got it. I'd say your best bet would be to call a regional DNR office.

Also, IIRC, there was some bit about how "beach" couldn't be claimed as private property either and was claimed as part of the river. At the time I ignored this because I thought it would be too difficult to determine what was "beach" or "shore" or "some guy's property." I suppose there may be some thing about 10 feet past the edge of the water, or whatever, but I didn't think it was worth the risk of offending a property owner who thinks they have rights up to the edge of the water. We have property along the river and I know I wouldn't have been happy to wake up and find a tent in my front yard, at least without the people asking first.

When I was planning my trip I decided I would either stay on an island, or, if forced to the land due to weather or circumstance, I'd find an area that looked welcoming and go make friends with the farmer or land owner. I was planning to use the Tippecanoe River, which is pretty rural along most of it's length, the neighbors along the White River may be less hospitable.

Good luck.

westfork

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    Ellettsville
    well, so far i am still of the opinion that a sandbar or island within the normal boundaries of the river which would be covered during flood conditions qualifies as public land available for use in non-destructive recreation.

this link has some good info and cases supporting that idea. i am comfortable with the notion of camping on a sandbar; i am also comfortable with moving on down the way if an adjoining property owner wants to cause a stink about it.

i'd be interesting if there were any ingo'ers who work for the dnr or similar authorities could chime in on this discussion.

thanks to all for your input so far!

quiggly

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Noblesville
    Where at on the White do you plan on going and for how far?

I have done all of the sections from Anderson to 96th street.

It is my understanding that unless it is a "Major Waterway" the area inside of the river is held by the landowners.

I am interested in a multi-day myself but getting thru Indy is the key. Not sure if you can make it all the way thru in a day or not.

There are lots of secluded places you can put down for the night. The other problem is water. I am just not into drinking from the White unless I was really really really desperate. There are some campgrounds along the way you could also stay at.

longbarrel

Expert
    Rating - 91.7%
    22   2   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Anybody ever kayak on rivers in Indiana? We are planning a little trip on the White River and are looking for input on overnight camping on this trip. In the past we have kayaked only on lakes surrounded by public land where this wasn't an issue (Deam Wilderness, etc).

Laws regarding the use of sandbars and such for overnighters are somewhat vague... Any input?
    I go down Blue River and Sugar Creek several times a year. I know that is NE of you, but there are some nice places to stop and even camp. As far as sandbar camping,,I think as long as you are not being a jackass you shouldn't have any problems. Don't know the rules for sure, but can't see anyone being hurt, put out, or upset. Was also a part of a put in in Indy and ended up on the White River in Lawerencport. Three days.

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    It is my understanding that unless it is a "Major Waterway" the area inside of the river is held by the landowners.

Thats what the DNR has stated to us while fishing. We posed the ? and they said especially if the landowner owns both sides of the creek/ river then he has rights to the river bottom (didnt say owns, but has a right to claim trespassing) ... not the water way but the land. They said we could float thru but dont get out of the boat and touch the ground.

We have a real issue with one of millionaires down here concerning a creek, he thinks that even the fish are his property!!! Its a waterway that has public access and he comes out when you float past his property.

spainy79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Sullivan
    Some good info in this thread. Always wondered about this myself.

We have a real issue with one of millionaires down here concerning a creek, he thinks that even the fish are his property!!! Its a waterway that has public access and he comes out when you float past his property.

I'm reminded of the car chase in The Naked Gun..."Gently, extend your arm...extend your middle finger".:D

Slab

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    fort wayne
    West Fork, you live pretty far from me, but i would be interested in going with a group if anyone wants to set something up.

westfork

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    Ellettsville
    we are in greene county - about a half hour sw of bloomington. we'll be traveling a stretch of the west fork of the white river near here. looks like a trip in the order of about 30 miles give or take.

i'd invite everyone along since there's safety in numbers but since this is unforged territory i think we ought to go this one alone. we have some ideas on camping spots but they depend a lot on river levels and timing of the aerial photos we are looking at.

though some sort of big lakeside ingo rendezvous at lake monroe might be fun sometime this summer... seems to be a lot of members from the area, and even those from far out would enjoy the hoosier nat'l forest, too, i'm sure.

Ashkelon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    changes by the minute
    check out the big blue from shelbyville to edinburgh. Was on it yesterday in my canoe. Somewhat swollen and fast but man it was fast fast fast. Look out for dead fall and some portage involved but did I mention how fast it was. If free sometime in the next week check it out before it drops too much to be fun.

quiggly

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Noblesville
    All you need to know. Except what streams and rivers are designated as scenic or recreational. Seems they have to maintain a list of them somewhere.

Basically this says that you may use the water flowing through but have no use of the bank or bottom of a recreational stream in exception of an emergency.

Indiana Code 14-29-6

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Didnt read everything but just wanted to throw this out there.... a few shifts ago we had someone kayaking on a river up north... not sure the name but it had a trail running accross it... anyways the water was slightly high and a kayaker went over the damn and almost died.... just a heads up if you do come across the things even if the water is only dropping 6 inches they are still VERY dangerous

Top Bottom