• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    I remember going on summer vacation with my family each year and driving across the deserts in Nevada and Arizona. Though radio stations were always few and far between out there, we could always find Paul Harvey on the radio. Every time I hear his voice it brings me right back to those wonderful, simple times in my life with my family.

Godspeed Paul.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    I will sadly miss Paul Harvey, truly a Great American :patriot:

Paul Harvey, a REAL Great American, RIP: Radio Legend Dead at 90; Good-Bye, Americans/Stand By for Heaven

By Debbie Schlussel

We hear some people on the radio, by implication, refer to themselves as a "Great American," when they call their anonymous listeners "Great Americans" as a compliment-fishing expedition.
    But, today, a REAL GREAT AMERICAN in radio died. Paul Harvey was 90 years old when he passed away. I just heard about it on a special ABC News breaking report, and it's not yet on the net as I write this. UPDATE: Read ABC News Radio's statement on Paul Harvey's death.
    Harvey was a true radio legend whose voice was heard on radio for well over a half-century. A syndicated fixture in American radio, Paul Harvey was an American patriot, an important and influential conservative, and a person who stood for American values and culture the way they used to be. Like his values, Paul Harvey's daily syndicated riffs on unusual stories in the news--stories of our escalating downward degradation and definition of deviance--were regularly listening for millions of Americans.

paulharvey.jpg

Stand By for Heaven: Paul Harvey, a REAL Great American in Radio, RIP

Post-9/11, Harvey came under fire from the Council on American-Islamic Relations for recognizing that the true national security problem America faces is not terrorism, but Islam. He correctly said that Islam "encourages killing" and noted the relationship between Islam and violence. Sadly, ABC Radio forced him to issue a statement saying that "Islam is a religion of peace," but you know he didn't believe it. (Robert Spencer wrote a good summary on this.) Harvey was always a conservative and always pro-American and pro-Israel . . . before conservatives embraced that.
    President Bush awarded Harvey the Presidential Medal of Freedom, and while it was well-deserved, it was long overdue for this great patriot and model American man.
    Harvey tried TV, but he couldn't make it in that field. Instead, he stuck with and continued to succeed in a medium whose obituary was, as Mark Twain would say, greatly exaggerated, and remained a tremendous influence on a significant, but shrinking, portion of the American public listening to newstalk radio.
    Though his approach seemed old fashioned to me, it was an "old-fashioned" style for which we are all nostalgic and which I grew to appreciate and like a lot--like your avuncular grandfather or great-grandfather looking at a world gone awry in amazement that it keeps getting worse. His values were conservative in a country ever growing more and more uncivilized and out of whack.
    He didn't have to wantonly call other people "Great Americans" to get confirmation that he was one, himself. Instead, he began his broadcasts by simply saying:
    Hello, Americans. This is Paul Harvey.
    More from his bio:
    Mr. Harvey moved to Hawaii in 1940 to cover the U.S. Navy as it began to concentrate its fleet in the Pacific. He was returning to the United States from that assignment when the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor. Paul Harvey enlisted into the Army Air Corps, where he served until 1944. After leaving the corps, Mr. Harvey moved to Chicago, where in June 1944, he began broadcasting from the ABC affiliate WENR-AM. He quickly became the most listened-to newscaster in Chicago.
    Paul Harvey reached audiences way beyond the windy city in 1951, when he began his coast-to-coast "News and Comment" on the ABC Radio Networks. On May 10, 1976, Mr. Harvey began another series of programs on the ABC Radio Networks entitled "The Rest of the Story", which delve into the forgotten or little known facts behind stories of famous people and events.
    Today, Paul Harvey "News and Comment" and "The Rest of the Story" can be heard every Monday through Saturday. Paul Harvey News is the largest one-man network in the world, consisting of over 1200 radio stations, 400 Armed Forces Network stations that broadcast around the world, and 300 newspapers.
    In my book and that of many Americans, his loss will not be replaced. He is one of the people who helped continue to make America great. He was a true gentleman, who always conducted himself with dignity and class.
    I, for one, will miss Paul Harvey's standard phrase that doesn't sound the same when it's done by his fill-ins . . .
    Stand By for News.
    Paul Harvey, a REAL Great American, Rest in Peace.
    And Now You Know the Rest of the Story. Good Day.

right winger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 31, 2008
    Hymera
    My first memories of hearing Paul Harvey was when I was about six.
    I would sit in the porch swing with my grandpa. I would get a puff or two from grandpas pipe. I can still smell the tobacco.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    We are not the same without him. The sound of his voice exuded character and integrity.

JByer323

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    Stand by for news!

I remember listening to him in the car with my parents. It's by far my earliest radio memory, probably 3-4? I've always enjoyed his stories, and the world is a little less bright with his passing.

Top Bottom