• ...and so much more!
  • Dockem

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    W Indyanner
    RIP Neil Armstrong

A very quiet and unassuming man. His accomplishment did not go to his head.

I remember watching the event on TV that summer night. Like so many people, after the landing, we all went outside and stared up at the moon in awe.
    What a lot of people didn't know was that due to an overshoot of the original landing zone, he took over in manual mode and landed the Eagle with about 20 seconds of fuel left. Hence the comment from Houston that there were a lot of techs about to turn blue from holding their breath when word came of the landing.

He was a Purdue engineer, the engineering schools there are named after him. A bronze statue is outside the entrance to the main engineering buildings showing a young man sitting there with an armful of books as a tribute to him. He would want to be remembered that way. He remained fiercely private after the accomplishment, never taking advantage of his fame.

His son also went to Purdue while I was there (brush with greatness?).

Rest in Peace, Neil. A race well run.

http://www.people.com/people/mobile/article/0,,20624417,00.html

neil-armstrong-nasa-portrait.jpg

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I watched in amazement. I was 18 yrs old and that is a memory that will always be with me.
    I have been to the cape, I have seen the Saturn in the display building and I hold those brave men as hero's.
    Nothing I can say will top some of the great statements already posted.

God speed.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I remember very clearly, two days after my sixth birthday, watching a fuzzy black & white TV picture of a man that became one of my few childhood heros step foot on a far away world that I could go out the back door and look at in amazement.

An American Hero indeed.

:patriot:
    I can't say for sure if I remember the very first moon landing, I would have been 5, but I do remember watching one of them on TV, and then looking at the moon that night and just being in complete awe! I think that was a great time to be a kid, and that sense of wonder and amazement is sadly missing in kids today, it would seem.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom