• ...and so much more!
  • T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    267   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    No, I've only used it with the rear anchor allowing the rear to be bolted to the stock as in most Bolt actions.

I think this is where I screwed up. I hadn't cleaned the barrel breach face and bolt face as thoroughly as I thought. I'm guessing there was a couple of thousands build up and the increase in headspace might better explain the inconsistency I was observing...or at least that's my best guess.
    So you're going back for another range trip tomorrow then, right?

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    So you're going back for another range trip tomorrow then, right?

I'm thinking Saturday or Sunday if the weather cooperates and I get myself moving early.

Maybe 88, wtb or someone else will lock me into going to make sure I get motivated.:D

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I'm thinking Saturday or Sunday if the weather cooperates and I get myself moving early.

Maybe 88, wtb or someone else will lock me into going to make sure I get motivated.:D

How does Sunday sound? I think I could make that easier than Saturday, but let me know what works for you :yesway:

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    No, I've only used it with the rear anchor allowing the rear to be bolted to the stock as in most Bolt actions.

I think this is where I screwed up. I hadn't cleaned the barrel breach face and bolt face as thoroughly as I thought. I'm guessing there was a couple of thousands build up and the increase in headspace might better explain the inconsistency I was observing...or at least that's my best guess.

Just curious about the difference, ours doesn’t have the rear anchor and it’s locked up pretty tight.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Well, spent about 45 minutes at the range this morning and my groups stank. Out of 8 groups at 50 yards, I had 2 groups around .53" and my best this morning was .46". I bit discouraging, but I'll keep trying. Tested Federal Gold Medal Target, Wolf Match Target, Lapua Midas + and Lapua Center-x. The Center-x gave me my best group this morning. It started to get a little breezier, so I called it a day knowing I was going again on Sunday.

Sunday will work. PM sent.

:thumbsup:

CZ Top

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 5, 2017
    Vigo Co.
    Me reading this whole thread- :koolaid:

Something about all the pics of those little tiny groups at distance got me hooked. Couple of weeks ago a good pal put me on his very sweet rifle and spent a good chunk of time getting me going on the basics. I loved it. Went home and ordered a CZ 457 Varmint. Vortex Venom HST scope. They finally arrived. Mounted scope and sped to the range. Same pal spent most of yesterday afternoon working me through my second lesson, which I didn't want to end. Zeroed pretty good at 110, hitting well from 50-165. Range goes to 250-ish, I'll get there when I'm ready, or too eager more likely. No pics yet, but they will come. Had an encouraging 4 shot group on target bull at 110, which I'm calling beginners luck, a fine gun and great teacher, all of which I'm grateful for. Used Lapua Center X so far and will try several others to find what it likes, then rezero and off to the races. This is a whole new thing for me, a steel shooting pistol guy, but I am all in, as they say. Yeah!

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    After work this evening, I adjusted the eye relief on the scope on the 10/22 to a better location. I’m guessing that my zero is way off again now but half the fun is in getting things just right.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    267   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    First range trip this afternoon was a washout because of the rain. Made another trip to a different range in the evening and got some incredible results from the MP15-22 Sport with the upgraded handguard and Wiebad shooting bags. The bags are big and heavy, but perfect for me and had the most stability I think I've ever had aside from using a sled.

Best group at 50yds was a 0.430"

Backed that up with the following:

My previous best was 0.963", so either the handguard made all the difference or the shooting bags, regardless I'm stoked.

attachment.php

attachment.php

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    After work this evening, I adjusted the eye relief on the scope on the 10/22 to a better location. I’m guessing that my zero is way off again now but half the fun is in getting things just right.

It will probably be closer to zero than you think.

I know what you mean about getting things just right. After weeks of having my a cheek riser taped on, I finally drilled the stock and screwed it on today.

...Best group at 50yds was a 0.430"

Backed that up with the following:

And now you know it was worth changing. Sweet!

Steel and wood

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2016
    Tipton
    Me reading this whole thread- :koolaid:

Something about all the pics of those little tiny groups at distance got me hooked. Couple of weeks ago a good pal put me on his very sweet rifle and spent a good chunk of time getting me going on the basics. I loved it. Went home and ordered a CZ 457 Varmint. Vortex Venom HST scope. They finally arrived. Mounted scope and sped to the range. Same pal spent most of yesterday afternoon working me through my second lesson, which I didn't want to end. Zeroed pretty good at 110, hitting well from 50-165. Range goes to 250-ish, I'll get there when I'm ready, or too eager more likely. No pics yet, but they will come. Had an encouraging 4 shot group on target bull at 110, which I'm calling beginners luck, a fine gun and great teacher, all of which I'm grateful for. Used Lapua Center X so far and will try several others to find what it likes, then rezero and off to the races. This is a whole new thing for me, a steel shooting pistol guy, but I am all in, as they say. Yeah!

I read this thread first every time I get on. I have looked at the CZ 457 several time and don’t buy thinking it will pass. But boy the group seem to have so much fun chasing the small groups. I to am the guy that loves to compete in all the pistols sports. Maybe I could handle to more addiction.:runaway:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Although I only pulled off the 0.430" group once, I'm satisfied with a fair amount of groups under 0.700". Satisfied enough that I no longer see a 10/22 build in the future now.

.4 is .4, doesn't matter how ya get there IMHO :)
    I slapped together a 10/22 that does it.
    Didn't take much.
    Might take a bit more to shrink it.
    Not worth the $ IMHO.

Am not a bench rest guy.
    Just shoot critters.
    So aint gonna replicate bench groups afield........there is no gain.

There certainly can be "good enough".
    For me, .5 or less at 50 yards does it.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Just saying that offhand I won't be able to tell the diff between a gun that shoots .5 or .4 benched at 50 yards LOL

Pineys, sometimes you miss the 1st shot (they tend to not hold still, plus leaves suck).
    And sometimes there are multiple targets.

So I want a rig that holds together for about 5 shots.
    10 shot strings..........naaaaaah.

So when I test, yup..........it's for 5 shots.
    My 10/22 target rig does just fine, cold 1st to soon enough 5th.

It has the accuracy I wanted, but in a heavier that anticipated package (and wrong grip angle too).

I'll drag out the CZ 455 and burn some through, when it hits 200 shots, clean and test.
    Still pretty much brand new.

Must admit, a semi auto is pretty nice on pineys.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Got a woods loaded with pineys.
    Also loaded w skeeters and deer flies.
    Horrible.
    I dunno how folks handle hunting the early squirrel season.
    Hot and buggy.
    Gave that up a long time ago.

Pineys..........can take any time but still used to observe the squirrel season out of being polite.

Now I don't even bowhunt deer early...........too hot buggy and green.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I cannot tell you how much pleasure I get from reading of the experiences of all, using different rifles and scopes and ammo!
    Very, very informative & educational.
    I cannot help but notice how the CZ 455/457 keeps coming up, along with the Ruger as a starting point, and for some, after Volquartsen or Kidd barrels, along with triggers and more, an end point.
    When I started looking at .22LR rifles, it was recommended to me by a member here, 3 rifles to limit myself to (knowing my propensity to go down "rabbit holes"), and this thread certainly bears that out in application.
    The range pics are totally awesome, bordering on inspirational. :thumbsup:
    The observation that they could be better is mind-blowing to me. :facepalm:

Top Bottom