• nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    jnZLshy.jpg

The ModStock arrived today. Current weight, without a mag or an optic is 3lbs 9.1oz. Goal is 4lbs or less with an optic but before factory magazines or ammo. Should make weight without an issue, though holding it I’m thinking the red dot made need a riser. I may end up with something like the Romeo5 instead.

Looks awesome!

But if your concerned about weight, why not a carbon fiber barrell?

Also, PSA has the Sig Romeo 5 on sale for $119. Only had mine for a couple months, but very happy with it.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Looks awesome!

But if your concerned about weight, why not a carbon fiber barrell?

Also, PSA has the Sig Romeo 5 on sale for $119. Only had mine for a couple months, but very happy with it.

Two reasons, I already had this assembly (It’s actually what started this project) and I haven’t found a carbon barrel that is lighter yet. Currently it’s a TacSol X-ring assembly, 38oz for the assembled receiver, barrel and trigger pack. TacSol lists the assembled receiver at 16oz and the barrel at 15oz. The TacSol SB-X barrel is 13.5oz, but that’s the lightest I’ve found.

I’ve had some crazy ideas for the long run. SBR and a 6” lightweight Charger barrel would drop about 10oz. Looking into some less expensive options to push the limits for my own enjoyment.

I enjoyed the Romeo5 on my MPX, can’t really say anything bad about it. I’m still leaning towards the micro reflex sights, a bit more minimalistic like the rifle.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I picked the sight last night, arrived today. Not 100% what I wanted, but a screaming deal made it a solid choice. Sightmark Ultra Shot M-Spec. Weight is the compromise, listed at 8oz. But the window is huge and the reticle is quick and easy to pick up.

Overall weight is coming in a 4lbs 0.6oz, without a magazine. Missed it by that much. Lol

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I want that first number to be a 3. Gonna take a bit of thinking on this one to find the best way.

TacSol SBX barrel would do get it there, trade off is noise. Can solves that.
    Taking off the front grip gets it there, trade off is it’s the front grip.
    Pistol grip is already 1.5oz, could probably skeletonize it. It’s a basic Hogue grip.
    May be able to lose some weight with a smaller stock pad.
    Plastic trigger group might be lighter than the aluminum TacSol one.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    The ultralight 10/22 is a blast. It’s probably the most fun I’ve had with a 10/22 variant. It’s by no means a precision build, but it’s great at ringing steel out to 200 yards.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Couple of pics from my time out at Hoosier Hills with Annie:

FiGfLPth.jpg

A7QKTgxh.jpg

I'm still trying to figure out exactly how to measure the groups. One YouTuber said that he measured edge to edge and then subtracted the measurement of the bullet he shot to compare to. T-DOGG says that he's always heard to measure edge to edge and subtract .22, which is the average diameter of a .22 round. A lot of people, like OzzieReviews and 22Plinkster on YT measure center to center. So my best group was #3 from the top target, which center to center was .24-.25", or .22" edge to edge minus .22. Measuring one of the standalone holes I shot measured right at .20, so that would make it around .24". Either way I think I did either right at or a touch below a quarter inch group at 50 yards on a fairly breezy day, so I'm happy. Surprisingly that was with Federal Gold Match Target. Another surprise was that I did a similar group with CCI SV. This gun simply amazes me!

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    jnZLshy.jpg

The ModStock arrived today. Current weight, without a mag or an optic is 3lbs 9.1oz. Goal is 4lbs or less with an optic but before factory magazines or ammo. Should make weight without an issue, though holding it I’m thinking the red dot made need a riser. I may end up with something like the Romeo5 instead.

I got to shoot this gun today and it is a sweet shooter. I'm still going to call it the cane gun because that's what it reminds me of.

...So my best group was #3 from the top target, which center to center was .24-.25", or .22" edge to edge minus .22. Measuring one of the standalone holes I shot measured right at .20, so that would make it around .24". Either way I think I did either right at or a touch below a quarter inch group at 50 yards on a fairly breezy day, so I'm happy. Surprisingly that was with Federal Gold Match Target. Another surprise was that I did a similar group with CCI SV. This gun simply amazes me!

Great shooting wtb.

Sorry that I advised you to take the I-65 parking lot down to the range.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Thanks for posting the range pics wtburnette: :wow:

Thank you sir, I appreciate it. You can tell the consistency wasn't great, as it was a bit breezy and gusty at times. Still, I had quite a few under half an inch and two under or just at a quarter of an inch, so I'll take it :cool:

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    Couple of pics from my time out at Hoosier Hills with Annie:

FiGfLPth.jpg

A7QKTgxh.jpg

I'm still trying to figure out exactly how to measure the groups. One YouTuber said that he measured edge to edge and then subtracted the measurement of the bullet he shot to compare to. T-DOGG says that he's always heard to measure edge to edge and subtract .22, which is the average diameter of a .22 round. A lot of people, like OzzieReviews and 22Plinkster on YT measure center to center. So my best group was #3 from the top target, which center to center was .24-.25", or .22" edge to edge minus .22. Measuring one of the standalone holes I shot measured right at .20, so that would make it around .24". Either way I think I did either right at or a touch below a quarter inch group at 50 yards on a fairly breezy day, so I'm happy. Surprisingly that was with Federal Gold Match Target. Another surprise was that I did a similar group with CCI SV. This gun simply amazes me!

Measuring groups I usually find the two that are farthest apart and measure outside of one of these to the inside of the other one. No math involved.:):

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Tarzan, Annie, and the Turbo crew all in the same day ..... what a great time for all of you ! :yesway:

It was a very good time. The only downside is I pulled back to far trying to sight in my AR-15 and shot the end of the bag on my rest and tore it all up. That's what happens when you're a noob like me with a rifle... :):

Top Bottom