• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • baddog12773

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    HI! I was wondering if anyone could explain the pro's and cons of a rigid frame pack like an ALICE ruck sac over one with no frame? which is better for a bug out bag?thanks

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Depends on how heavy your load is. 80lbs in a ruck with no frame is going to hurt soon.

I like medium alices packs with no frame to be under 40lbs. But thats just me.

INRanger

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2009
    I like the ALICE pack with frame. It's comfortable with load over distance or as comfortable as anything with load can be. One piece of advice though ALICE pack are quite large and can hold allot of gear. Resist the temptation, just because you have all that room does not mean you have to use it. Extra room is a GOOD thing, you never know what you might pick up later. Remember, every once counts.

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    these posters are correct. using a frame allows for a heavier load. it also allows air circulation under the pack. it does, however, make the pack a bit harder to stuff in your vehicle. when i was humping a ruck, the frame was the first to go unless you had the radio. when it's all on your back, you learn pretty quickly what you do, or more importantly, what you do NOT need.

052.5GT

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Columbus
    i'll chime in with my extra information/opinion. I agree with everyone above, but most people agree that a BOB is a 72 hour bag/kit. I cannot imagine needing to carry enough stuff for 72 hours to necessitate needing a frame. My current BOB configuration is running about 35lbs and i use a Camelback Motherload for it. It has a nice beefy waist belt so you can get the weight off your shoulders. I would suggest it to anyone looking for a 3 day bag.

swatdoc

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Franklin
    The military have always been fans of the rigid frame approach. First with the Alice pack and later the Molle system. They have the advantage of being fairly stout and able to carry a fairly heavy load. I won't say comfort is their forte. The early Molle ruck frames were prone to breakage. The latest generation are supposedly better. However, I'm still a fan of the internal frame setup. Check out Kifaru's offerings. They are regarded among the best available.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Frames are really only needed if you are going to be carrying heavy awkward loads, or if you will be doing vertical work. If you are not going to be doing either then a frame is not really necessary.

Internal frames have proven to be more comfortable and slightly more durable than external frames. The biggest advantage to an external frame is they are a little easier to maintain and repair.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DJLouis
    Top Bottom