• ...and so much more!
  • jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Maybe this has been asked and answered in all of these pages, but:

Why are you union guys so upset over this? Why are you so sure everyone is going to leave the union and the whole thing will collapse? Why are you so sure that so many of your colleagues want out of the system? It seems like the guys here that are against this bill are union guys, are you not representative of the average union workers? I see the talk of great pay and great benefits, so wouldn't everyone want to keep that going rather than desert and watch it collapse? If you guys are just the average union member, why are you so convinced that you're in the minority when it comes to supporting the union?

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    Be carefull What you ask for because *********,You might just get it .. matter of fact ,you will get right to work . I remember when I use to make 5.25 @ hr

And I remember making $3.35 an hour :dunno:

If you're dependent upon the collective (whether it be government, union, or both) for the amount you earn, you've not invested enough in yourself.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Be carefull What you ask for because *********,You might just get it .. matter of fact ,you will get right to work . I remember when I use to make 5.25 @ hr

I was taught that the world doesn't owe me a livin'.

If market forces say my marketable skills are worth $5.25 to an employer, why should they be extorted/threatened to pay me more than I'm worth?

It's up to ME to improve my marketable skills to get the wages I want.

Last edited:

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO

Why are you union guys so upset over this? Why are you so sure everyone is going to leave the union and the whole thing will collapse? Why are you so sure that so many of your colleagues want out of the system? It seems like the guys here that are against this bill are union guys, are you not representative of the average union workers? I see the talk of great pay and great benefits, so wouldn't everyone want to keep that going rather than desert and watch it collapse? If you guys are just the average union member, why are you so convinced that you're in the minority when it comes to supporting the union?

Without the laws that use force to ensure union power, they would fall apart.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana

The handouts from their union reps told them that unions will die and wages will go to next to nothing. Those that make big bucks of the union dues are very concerned (looks like much more than the politicians that get some of the union money). The handouts from the union reps probably didn't include information about the 22 RTW states showing better job growth than those states that aren't RTW. Pay might not be what the union workers demand but there are jobs being created.

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    Seems both sides can come up with economic numbers to support their claims. For me it has always been an issue of freedom...

While I agree with you in that it is an issue of freedom--freedom to work without having to pay someone else to dictate the how's, when's, and wherefore's of one's job--I would argue that I haven't seen a single opponent--on INGO or Facebook--where the anti's have cited statistics (with the calculations and explanation of how they came to their conclusion) that support their claim against RTW.

In addition, there have been at least a couple of citations here on INGO on the pro side of this argument where factual data has been presented (with calculations and explanations on how they arrived at their conclusion) that RTW isn't the wage/benefit Armageddon prophesied by union supporters.

I have yet to see an intelligent, factual response refuting the data presented in said citations. When presented with the facts, they ignore them and keep on spouting union rhetoric, unsubstantiated claims, and the wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Have a nice day! :)

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I remember working for my Grandpa for $2 an hour in the 80's before age 10 on his hog farm. Is there a statute of limitations on labor laws? Can I send the goon squads in to wisk him away?

The fact is that that $2 an hour job (hindsight, I probably wasn't worth a plug nickle at that age) made me into the hard working and dedicated man I am today. Thank you, Grandpa!

RMOR

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Anderson
    While I agree with you in that it is an issue of freedom--freedom to work without having to pay someone else to dictate the how's, when's, and wherefore's of one's job--I would argue that I haven't seen a single opponent--on INGO or Facebook--where the anti's have cited statistics (with the calculations and explanation of how they came to their conclusion) that support their claim against RTW.

In addition, there have been at least a couple of citations here on INGO on the pro side of this argument where factual data has been presented (with calculations and explanations on how they arrived at their conclusion) that RTW isn't the wage/benefit Armageddon prophesied by union supporters.

I have yet to see an intelligent, factual response refuting the data presented in said citations. When presented with the facts, they ignore them and keep on spouting union rhetoric, unsubstantiated claims, and the wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Have a nice day! :)

Point taken and I agree with you. That was more of a tongue in cheek comment, on my part, than anything else. I agree "union rhetoric", and I would add propaganda, is what keeps the anti side rolling, not actual facts. I should not jest on such important matters! :n00b:

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I still don't see how this will change anything.

RTW doesn't override Taft or Wagner.

Taft-Hartley doesn't override Wagner, but it's an INCREMENTAL step in the right direction.

The REAL answer is, what we're paid should be driven by the market, NOT by tactics that would be considered EXTORTION in any other setting.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    And I remember making $3.35 an hour :dunno:

HaHa me too... that was after I spent my first year at $3 and the minimum wage law applied to farm workers.

Better than flipping burgers though, and McD wouldn't hire 14 year olds.

I was one of the few who got paid by the hour... many strawberry pickers got paid by the pound.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Of note, the bill that passed the House was HB 1001 and the Senate passed SB 269. The bills have some differences, so those will either have to be worked out in committee or one or the other house will have to accept the other's version.

Look for more posturing and complaining, right up until Mitch signs it... then look for a rehash next year.

Blessings,
    Bill

Top Bottom