• ...and so much more!
  • Tradesylver

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2024
    Brown County
    I did a quick search of the phrase "Right of Passage" and it was mentioned once in another INGO post.

I recall about 50 or so years ago for Christmas that under that Christmas Tree all wrapped up pretty was a brand new Marlin 39. It was an acknowledgement that my folks thought I was a mature enough and had proven myself capable in handling a firearm safely, only to be followed up with a Ruger Bearcat. There were other rights of passage too like my first jackknife and my dad handing me the keys to his 1970 Triumph Bonneville and my mother allowing me to take her car on my first solo run. It wasn't unusual in the Ag school I went to to find a gun in the back window of a pickup truck. Even the shop teacher had a 22 in his office that was used to dispatch a steer or cow in the shop; part of our ag training was butchering. We'd have that beef quartered in the cooler before 8 am. I'm willing to bet that many of you in the same age group had similar experiences growing up. Come to think of it no one ever had a problem with a bunch of kids heading to the local dump with BB and pellet guns to shoot rats. Even back in the 60s I had to attend a NRA Hunter's Safety course and I still have that original sew on badge. Growing up in the 60s was great, us kids were chased out of the house and told not to come back to dinner time or we'd miss dinner and it was up to us to keep ourselves entertained. I have to wonder if there any rights of passage for boys and young men today? Why there was even a Right of Passage in boot camp. Do you have a story that you'd like to share? Enough ramblings...

Life is a Right of Passage.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    I did a quick search of the phrase "Right of Passage" and it was mentioned once in another INGO post.

I recall about 50 or so years ago for Christmas that under that Christmas Tree all wrapped up pretty was a brand new Marlin 39. It was an acknowledgement that my folks thought I was a mature enough and had proven myself capable in handling a firearm safely, only to be followed up with a Ruger Bearcat. There were other rights of passage too like my first jackknife and my dad handing me the keys to his 1970 Triumph Bonneville and my mother allowing me to take her car on my first solo run. It wasn't unusual in the Ag school I went to to find a gun in the back window of a pickup truck. Even the shop teacher had a 22 in his office that was used to dispatch a steer or cow in the shop; part of our ag training was butchering. We'd have that beef quartered in the cooler before 8 am. I'm willing to bet that many of you in the same age group had similar experiences growing up. Come to think of it no one ever had a problem with a bunch of kids heading to the local dump with BB and pellet guns to shoot rats. Even back in the 60s I had to attend a NRA Hunter's Safety course and I still have that original sew on badge. Growing up in the 60s was great, us kids were chased out of the house and told not to come back to dinner time or we'd miss dinner and it was up to us to keep ourselves entertained. I have to wonder if there any rights of passage for boys and young men today? Why there was even a Right of Passage in boot camp. Do you have a story that you'd like to share? Enough ramblings...

Great stuff.

Similar thoughts here...

Brian Ski

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    Sounds like you are a little older than me. Mostly thinking of respect. I spent a summer with my Uncles family when I was about 10. Rifles hanging in a bunch of trucks in the area. Truck doors unlocked. I could see back then if a rifle was needed probably not a problem to grab one out of someones truck. (to solve a quick problem) As a kid you were told not to mess with firearms. If you were interested an elder would take you out and teach you.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central

Had many similar experiences.

Riding along with grandpa on a corn picker in the field that now is my sister’s subdivision. Got thrown by a gelding in that same field when I was 15. Stopping on a road and pulling out a marlin 60 to shoot a fox that had been mangled by a vehicle and had no hind quarter but still trying desperately to get off the road where now multi million dollar homes are.

Life was hard but so good back then…

Tradesylver

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2024
    Brown County
    Had many similar experiences.

Riding along with grandpa on a corn picker in the field that now is my sister’s subdivision. Got thrown by a gelding in that same field when I was 15. Stopping on a road and pulling out a marlin 60 to shoot a fox that had been mangled by a vehicle and had no hind quarter but still trying desperately to get off the road where now multi million dollar homes are.

Life was hard but so good back then…
    The places I hunted as a kid have all be sold off and turned into subdivision. My big brag now is that I live in a rotary free county. LOL

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    My Right of Passage occurred last year. I've always been a pretty healthy person. In 67 years I had mumps when I was about 6, and maybe I've had a cold twice in my life. Last summer I really went downhill fast. Over the course a few months, I went from walking my dogs 4 miles a day, to getting out of breath to walk across the house to the bathroom. A trip to the doctor uncovered a severely torn mitral valve. In early August 2023, a heart surgeon presented me with options. 1.) Open heart surgery to repair the valve. 2.) Open heart surgery to replace the valve. 3.) Go home and sit in a chair until I die. On 8/10/23, I had open heart surgery to repair the valve. About a week ago, I was able to take the kids on a 4-mile walk again. I now realize that I am actually getting old(er), and am quite mortal.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    My Right of Passage occurred last year. I've always been a pretty healthy person. In 67 years I had mumps when I was about 6, and maybe I've had a cold twice in my life. Last summer I really went downhill fast. Over the course a few months, I went from walking my dogs 4 miles a day, to getting out of breath to walk across the house to the bathroom. A trip to the doctor uncovered a severely torn mitral valve. In early August 2023, a heart surgeon presented me with options. 1.) Open heart surgery to repair the valve. 2.) Open heart surgery to replace the valve. 3.) Go home and sit in a chair until I die. On 8/10/23, I had open heart surgery to repair the valve. About a week ago, I was able to take the kids on a 4-mile walk again. I now realize that I am actually getting old(er), and am quite mortal.
    Glad to hear this Bassat!

Brian Ski

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    My Mother just had a valve replaced in January. Hers was done at St Vincent in Carmel. Great place. Glad your turned out well. Amazed what they can do.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    My most recent right of passage- finally being on a team that won a tournament. It’s taken a LONG time. Our band in high school did well in competition and parades, but that was long ago.

Volleyball tournament this past spring.
    0A745F75-8314-4CB9-9A0F-D5697352B955.jpeg

Top Bottom