• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CoyoteCreekGuns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    New Palestine, IN
    Over the past few weeks I have come to the realization that I too am cross dominant (right handed and left eye dominant) This has never bothered me while shooting shotguns, rifles or bow (all of which I am with right eye only), however I have come to the realization that this was because they're all scoped which means that I have adjusted for the difference on the scope itself.

With that being said, I have recently started shooting with my right eye closed (rotating my head slightly to the right allowing my left eye to align to the target) and I shoot much more consistently.

As a side note, when I started to realize this, I also remembered that I used to put left handed in golf although I did everything else right handed.... again left eye dominance.

In the end, just make sure you practice practice practice....

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    You can do what my right handed, left eye dominate wife should do, and learn to shoot left handed, or do what she does, which is close her left eye.

She says it feels weird to shoot left handed, and is too hard to learn. Unfortunately for her, it is important to be able to use a defensive arm equally well with either hand, and she will have that ability by the end of summer :D

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    I can shoot with either hand, but I find I have better hand control with my right. Easier to draw and maintain control with my dominant hand.

In a Chapman (Modern Weaver Stance, I guess it's also called) there's no effort involved. My left hand draws into my grip, and my left eye is lined up along the sites.. easy cheezy!

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    As others have said I am right handed left eye dominant I have a natural shooting stance with my left foot\side more forward, which brings my right hand back a little and face a little sideways so my left eye is closer, hard to explain but it sure works! I am glad I am like this...

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Forgive me, but I really don't understand this problem. I'm right-handed and left eye dominant, but I just close my left eye to shoot. Actually, if I want, I can close my left eye, get a sight picture, then open my left eye.

What I don't understand, is why don't people with cross eye dominance just close the dominant eye? Or are you guys saying that people have trouble closing that eye? Or is shooting a handgun with both eyes open that important to accuracy? Or is closing the dominant eye bad for accuracy? I really don't understand this problem, someone please explain it to me. I've known I was cross dominant for many years, but I never knew it was a problem until I start reading handgun books.

I would not call what you describe a problem. Both eyes open is not about accuracy but rather field of vision, and most important in a defensive use of the handgun. Competition it is less important to have the field of vision but it does matter as much.

If I keep both eyes open there are three to four sets of sights out there and I cannot do it. A little tape or close an eye and I can shoot with either hand or either eye.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Unless you're competing, toss out any talk of changing your "stance", as you won't have any particular stance when you are shooting to defend yourself. Hopefully your feet will be moving.

As several have already suggested, simply have your friend turn his head slightly to the right, and sight down the slide with his left eye.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    A long time ago, about the time when dinosours were around, the Firearms Instructer at the Indiana Law Academy taught us to be able to shoot with both hands,reload our S&W 357 mags w/ speed loaders, and loose rounds if needed. We could do an" officer injured" and draw with a left hand from a right hand duty holster, and transition to rem 870 12ga from service revolver. Left or right: eyes or hands, as long as you could hit what you aimed for. Our lifes were to be at risk, training to do a job, so we actually practiced with unloaded weapons till my arms hurt. Not as fast as I used to be, but haven't forgot how!. Like bicycle riding, you never forget. Note:Left eye dominant,right hand service weapon, left hand shotgun or Rifle. Tilt the head and keep both eyes open.

marv

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Gatchel, IN
    I shot that way for a while till I got the cataracht in my right eye fixed. SIL asked how you do that? Told him you live long enough you'll learn how.

Top Bottom