• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Raitekk

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   1
    Mar 9, 2013
    Northwest Indiana
    Is it ok to carry a loaded AR/AK or Shotgun in my car?
    Does is absolutely have to be in a case?
    Does it have to be hidden from plain sight?

I've tried reading the FAQ, but couldn't find anything specifically referring to this.
    I've also tried a lot of Google searches, but most of the stuff I find is relatively old or very vague in explanation.
    :dunno:

Also tried looking throughout this section to make sure someone didn't already ask this, but couldn't find anything.

tsm

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Allen county
    Of course, if you leave your car and the rifle or shotgun is in plain sight, you may want to consider the chance that someone may decide they'd like to "acquire" it while you're not around.

Raitekk

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   1
    Mar 9, 2013
    Northwest Indiana
    Of course, if you leave your car and the rifle or shotgun is in plain sight, you may want to consider the chance that someone may decide they'd like to "acquire" it while you're not around.
    Yep! I would never leave it in plain sight if I was not in the vehicle.

JMHO, but unless, you want it scratched, or you can secure it in some way, case it .....
    One of the many reasons that I always have it cased.

It was more of a curiosity question. It was brought up in a convo once and I never really knew the answer. Thanks for the answers everybody! +Rep

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Please do everyone a favor and NOT keep a round chambered. Many long guns are not immune to drops and bumps. Even with the safety on.

Plus, I always love it when people get loaded guns out of their cars at the range.

apbarnar

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2011
    So you can actually have a gun rack in the back window of your pickup truck? I thought that was just a joke.

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    So you can actually have a gun rack in the back window of your pickup truck? I thought that was just a joke.

You can literally strap it to your back and walk down the street with it loaded without any kind of permit. (my guess is you might need to be 18yo tho.. not sure)

Roscoe38

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    loaded gun

Please do everyone a favor and NOT keep a round chambered. Many long guns are not immune to drops and bumps. Even with the safety on.

Plus, I always love it when people get loaded guns out of their cars at the range.

My loaded gun is on my hip when I get out of my vehicle at the range. I suppose that's why I got my LTCH.

Makes no sense to me to have a weapon that is not loaded. Might as well revert to rocks.

sig-guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013

Used to be pretty common years ago.
    Matter of fact, I bought a truck serveral years ago that had such a rack.

I took it out and for some reason, I kept it... not sure why! :dunno:

Maybe it's time for a new home... lol

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Originally Posted by kludge

My loaded gun is on my hip when I get out of my vehicle at the range. I suppose that's why I got my LTCH.

Makes no sense to me to have a weapon that is not loaded. Might as well revert to rocks.

We're talking about LONG GUNS in this thread, not handguns in holsters.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Is it ok to carry a loaded AR/AK or Shotgun in my car? YES
    Does is absolutely have to be in a case? NO
    Does it have to be hidden from plain sight? NO

As of yet, there are no laws prohibiting it. Therefore it's legal.

In searching the Indiana Code, you'll not find words "making things legal". The law just makes things illegal and defines fines / penalties.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    111   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County

You sure can, I used to have one in my truck and always had a .22 rifle and 12 gauge in it. Used to have a lot more time for hunting in my younger days. :): I wouldn't leave them out in the open these days though, it was a lot different back then.

country85

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2013
    I still have a little chuckle when this subject comes up. I'm from South Carolina, and down there it's completely legal to carry a loaded long gun in your car(in fact the only rule for carrying a loaded handgun is that it be in a latching glove box). Down there it's common practice, when deer season is in, almost every other truck will have a gun rack with a rifle and/or bow hanging from it. As far as for up here in Indiana I've lived here for going on 4 years and I've yet to see a gun rack in a truck! I'm fixing to mount one in my truck for my 22 hornet, to take care of those yote's that I keep seeing when I pull into my drive way after work lol

dugsagun

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    portage
    I used to slap up a gun rack to toss my rifle on back in the day when i went to arkansas for deer season. Now it just lays on the center fold down seat when i hunt in ar.

Top Bottom