• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dom1104

Shooter
    Mar 23, 2010
    Oh yeah I remember you, dude your wife is a keeper. I wish mine would come shoot with me. Jealousy.....:thatshot: <--- hilarious icon.

I think maybe if I build her a rifle... she MAY come out to shoot. May.

I guess its a win either way, if she doesnt, I get a a spare 10/22. :)

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Oh yeah I remember you, dude your wife is a keeper. I wish mine would come shoot with me. Jealousy.....:thatshot: <--- hilarious icon.

I think maybe if I build her a rifle... she MAY come out to shoot. May.

I guess its a win either way, if she doesnt, I get a a spare 10/22. :)

That IS a win either way... That second rifle makes a great loaner when you're instructing.
    <foghornleghorn>tha- ah say, that's a hint,son</foghornleghorn>

:D

Blessings,
    Bill

dom1104

Shooter
    Mar 23, 2010
    I agree Bill. Not to mention friendly competition is better with similar rifles.

RU1022RBCIII.jpg

Just picked up one of these french walnut stocks on a overstock, should make a nice sporter / appleseed rifle with some tech-sights or a micro red dot.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    To be honest, I wasn't all that proud of myself when I made rifleman.

I shoot thousands of rounds per month (stopped counting how many thousands of rounds). It took me two targets when one should have sufficed.

So I was less irritated with myself.

... and Bill was getting irritated with me for being irritated with myself. Esp after I broke out the target rifle/squirrel sniper and started plunking them in with that. I was frustrated that I couldn't get one hole all the time.

I think Bill almost thumped me.

For me, the highlight was the camaraderie. Helping coach a newbie was awesome; it's sort of what I do with handguns, and then the older gent to my left hand an awesome Scout M1A. First time I've been jealous of a gun.

I was going to the one in April, but I had to work and funds are tight.

Josh

Clay

Grandmaster
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    well I crashed the thread so I might as well put my info up.

I made rifleman at the April 2009 Appleseed @ Riley. I didn't remember my scores, so I had to go dig out my AQT sheets from then. Yes, I saved them! I was pretty proud of myself, so Ive kept them. ;) I made Rifleman with a 219, then followed it up with a 225.

Im still proud to call myself a Rifleman, and can't wait to get back to Riley in July. :)

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    To be honest, I wasn't all that proud of myself when I made rifleman.

I shoot thousands of rounds per month (stopped counting how many thousands of rounds). It took me two targets when one should have sufficed.

So I was less irritated with myself.

... and Bill was getting irritated with me for being irritated with myself. Esp after I broke out the target rifle/squirrel sniper and started plunking them in with that. I was frustrated that I couldn't get one hole all the time.

I think Bill almost thumped me.

For me, the highlight was the camaraderie. Helping coach a newbie was awesome; it's sort of what I do with handguns, and then the older gent to my left hand an awesome Scout M1A. First time I've been jealous of a gun.

I was going to the one in April, but I had to work and funds are tight.

Josh

I did almost thump you. Almost. ;) See... our COF is not easy. It's not supposed to be easy. If it was, anyone could do it without our program, and the achievement would be meaningless. It is very rare for someone to come out and shoot to Rifleman standards on their first Appleseed. It is almost unheard of to have someone do so on their first target of the day. Some manage it on their first AQT, but da*n few.

With that in mind, you were expecting to shoot one-hole groups and perfect scores. Perfection is the enemy of "good enough", Josh, and what frustrates me is to see someone challenging (and frustrating) himself to an unrealistic (and unnecessary) standard. You shot very well. A Rifleman patch is not given, it is earned, and you earned it. Build toward that perfect 250, sure, but know that those who come shoot with us, even without earning that patch, are already shooting better than the great majority (someone told me 85%, but I can't corroborate that) of this country.
    Keep in mind what a Rifleman score is by Army standards as well, since it's their target we use to measure marksmanship: That score translates to "Expert". Thousands of rounds certainly helps, but without feedback, it's just throwing lead downrange. That's what "Talking targets" is for: feedback.

Push yourself. Challenge yourself. Don't, in the process, beat yourself up for a lack of perfection until you can both walk across the nearest lake without knowing where the rocks are or it being frozen and while you're walking, get all the fish drunk. ;)

:twocents:

Blessings,
    Bill

dom1104

Shooter
    Mar 23, 2010
    If my targets say things I dont like. I shoot em again. Till they start talkin the way I like to be talked to.

Mudcat

Sharpshooter
    Dec 5, 2009
    Warrick county
    I attended my first Appleseed in I think 6/08 at Red Brush. I was so disappointed in my shooting abilities and I had tons of military experience and been shooting all my life.
    I went home and told my wife about it not necessarily the shooting part but the history. I then ordered Freds guide and started to dry fire practice. I took my whole family back to Red Brush in Nov 08. I scored a 217 on the second AQT on sunday and promptly took an orange hat. My son then put up a 219 on the next AQT at his first Appleseed. My daughter scored her first Rifleman score at the next Appleseed we did in April 09 with a 212 she was 13. Then last nov at Riley the same my wife shot a 210 and got the water treatment. So yes I have a whole house full of Riflemen and Riflewomen. We are also all instructors well I am and they are Instructors in training. My mother who is 65 and has had a knee replacement will be trying for her Rifleman patch again this weekend at Cloverdale. We shot on mothers day and she shot a 207 with a 90 on the bottom row.
    I cannot tell you how the program has changed mine and my families direction. I know it sounds corny but trust me it has and for the better.

Top Bottom