• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino400

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Delaware County
    I recently bought myself a rifled barrel for my Mossberg 500 20ga this Barrel<---Clicky I am looking for suggestions on what type of sabots to shoot through it. I know I need to try different brands and decide for myself but I am looking to narrow the list to loads that have worked well for others.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Friends use them and love them, I use Federal Barnes Expanders. Brenneke are my old favorties and I use them as well.

Add in Remingtons Buck hammer and Lightfield's line of slugs and you have 5 brands that are all proven 1 shot killers and can be found in local stores.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    I would get some Remington core-loct (bad quality control though) hornady SST, Hastings, Winchester supreme, and federal barns expander. Take them to the range and see what you and you gun can compromise on. Find the round that makes you confident in the field, the rest will fall into play.

Field King

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    Hard to find now but "REMINGTON BUCKHAMMERS" are the best I ever used thru a rifled barrel, they have an in flight stabilzers, that is slightly different than the sabot but very accurate!

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    I would get some Remington core-loct (bad quality control though) hornady SST, Hastings, Winchester supreme, and federal barns expander. Take them to the range and see what you and you gun can compromise on. Find the round that makes you confident in the field, the rest will fall into play.

I'd agree here! I used the hornaday SST in my old Moss 500 with the ported rifled barrel and it did pretty good. But there may be something better out there.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Buy a box of each and see how they group through your gun at 50 yards. Practice with the ones your gun likes best. I did that for years until pistol caliber rifles became legal, that and cast bullets reduced the cost of practice a great deal.:)

rhino400

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Delaware County
    I tried several different loads. My gun really seemed to like the Hornady SST slugs. I was getting 2 inch groups at 50 yards. That is the longest distance I have at my house to shoot. So next time I go to the range I am going to shoot a few at 100 yards.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom