• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    This is a curiosity question, more than a need for help.

We often see different brands talk about warranty. In my immediate circle of friends and associates, I have known just two that had to return a rifle for clear cut warranty.

One was a new .308 Browning bolt action that the bolt was just plain made wrong. It would not function in the action without a lot of shaking and forcing. It took a few months, but they gave him a whole new rifle and paperwork showing the old one was no longer his.

Mine was an S&W 15-22 that spit the extractor out during normal firing. They fixed it pretty quickly.

I know Remington had a large recall for defective trigger safeties on the 700 center-fire rifles, but that was a mass recall, not a simple warranty of a defective firearm.

When I worked in the shop, we would send lower priced handguns back for warranty pretty often, but never rifles, even lower tier AR's.

How many have had to send a new rifle back for warranty because it was defective?

Last edited:

Mij

Permaplinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Sending one back today or tomorrow. Called last week to report the problem, received my return label yesterday. Was informed to ship via Fed-ex. NIB gun, purchased two weeks ago, and it’s also a bolt problem.

Reactions: Leo

Sphinx313

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 2, 2020
    Central
    Never for warranty, but definitely for out of box immediate replacement. When you pay thousands for a rifle and it shows up with tooling marks you'd expect from a $500 rifle it most definitely has to go back. I may have had 1-2 under/overgassed upper's, but I just fix those myself.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I returned a new Henry H001 .22lr for a bent magazine tube.
    I had to force the inner mag tube in to get it to seat.
    The first time I removed the mag tube I thought it was just really dry (no lube) and/ or dirty.
    Cleaning and lubing did nothing, so off it went.
    Henry replaced the outer mag tube without question or charge.

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    Recently sent my Henry H001M in for warranty work.

After putting about 200 rounds through it during my first range visit, I noticed that the magazine tube support slid freely in the dovetail slot. If this was a used rifle, I would have likely staked it myself, but since it was brand new, I tried the warranty route.

It was just over a week from the time I emailed Henry for a return authorization to the time I received my rifle back. Not sure if they simply used Loctite or similar product or replaced the part with new. For sure there were no new staking marks, and the part is now rock solid.

This is the only firearm that I've owned that's been sent back for warranty work.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I have a tendency to let others break in my guns, so I may buy used at a noticable discount.

This practice also seems to weed out the lemons. Along with usually sticking to high sales popular makes and models.

ISP 5353

Master
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 21, 2009
    Putnam County
    Had a new Remington 700 that the receiver was just not completed. The bolt lugs would not close and the safety fell off the Timney trigger! It must have been a Friday gun. The wholesaler was no help as they claimed they did not take returns and advised that I contact Remington.

Remington sent me a form email and said to send the rifle back for their evaluation. A phone call to Remington said they were backed up for 30-40 weeks. I spent the money to have a gunsmith do the work. It is a shame to have to spend a lot of extra money just to get a bolt action to actually close the action. I will never buy another 700 that I cannot handle first!!!!!

• Wow

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    I have a friend that owns a LGS. He had a low end rifle that wouldn't chamber a round. He called the company to report the problem and they told him they would not warrantee their product after it was taken out of the package.

• Wow

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Had a PSA (hold your groans) 9mm AR that would jam consistently on flat point bullets. There was absolutely no ramp. Just a flat face with a tiny 45* bevel that would guide RNs or JHPs into the chamber just fine.

I assumed it was a problem with the unique plated flat points I use, so I had AllenM fix it. He put the barrel on the lathe and put a GORGEOUS glass smooth bevel 360* around the barrel to act as a ramp.

That actually just changed how it jammed. Instead the bullets hit that smooth bevel and rocketed up to the top of the barrel and totally jammed at a higher angle. :lmfao:We were both convinced it would work. (I'm still pleased with his work regardless)

Sent it back to PSA expecting them to wag their finger at me and demand payment for a new barrel. Nope. they put a new barrel in, and cut an actual ramp this time. I suspect they knew the original rampless barrel got out accidentally.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Never needed it but I have had to call with a question about my LWRC and their CS team was great when I talked to them. The warranty is nice but I want to never have to use it, just like my Staccato, they have some of the best CS I have ever seen, but will never have to use.

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    Had a PSA (hold your groans) 9mm AR that would jam consistently on flat point bullets. There was absolutely no ramp. Just a flat face with a tiny 45* bevel that would guide RNs or JHPs into the chamber just fine.

I assumed it was a problem with the unique plated flat points I use, so I had AllenM fix it. He put the barrel on the lathe and put a GORGEOUS glass smooth bevel 360* around the barrel to act as a ramp.

That actually just changed how it jammed. Instead the bullets hit that smooth bevel and rocketed up to the top of the barrel and totally jammed at a higher angle. :lmfao:We were both convinced it would work. (I'm still pleased with his work regardless)

Sent it back to PSA expecting them to wag their finger at me and demand payment for a new barrel. Nope. they put a new barrel in, and cut an actual ramp this time. I suspect they knew the original rampless barrel got out accidentally.

Why do you use flat point bullets?

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Never needed it but I have had to call with a question about my LWRC and their CS team was great when I talked to them. The warranty is nice but I want to never have to use it, just like my Staccato, they have some of the best CS I have ever seen, but will never have to use.
    Yep LWRCI are good people.

Bleachey

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2019
    Petersburg
    This is a curiosity question, more than a need for help.

We often see different brands talk about warranty. In my immediate circle of friends and associates, I have known just two that had to return a rifle for clear cut warranty.

One was a new .308 Browning bolt action that the bolt was just plain made wrong. It would not function in the action without a lot of shaking and forcing. It took a few months, but they gave him a whole new rifle and paperwork showing the old one was no longer his.

Mine was an S&W 15-22 that spit the extractor out during normal firing. They fixed it pretty quickly.

I know Remington had a large recall for defective trigger safeties on the 700 center-fire rifles, but that was a mass recall, not a simple warranty of a defective firearm.

When I worked in the shop, we would send lower priced handguns back for warranty pretty often, but never rifles, even lower tier AR's.

How many have had to send a new rifle back for warranty because it was defective?
    I know of 2 warranty issues. My son had a Savage 308 Hog Hunter that we could not even get on paper with a good quality scope. We tried MOA rails, everything we could think of and it would just not come down low enough. Even had the scope exchanged, same issue. Contacted Savage, sent it back and it turns out it was a problem with how the barrel was made, they replaced it and sent it back no cost.

A friend had a problem with a Thompson Center Hawken trigger. Same thing, they fixed it with no questions.

Luckily those are the only 2 experiences I know of with warranty issues on firearms. I have purchased a couple I did not like, but not because of anything broken or not working properly.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    The Thompson Center reminded me of my dad's Renegade muzzleloader. It shot really well and had nice sights but looked "off". It was. The barrel was bent but the bore was straight! He sent it back and they sent him a new barrel. It shot OK but it had crappy sights on it.

Top Bottom