• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Hopefully I can hit my target, especially considering all the **** poor firearms training I get at IMPD. Hope no innocent bystanders, dogs, or cars are anywhere near the direction I am pointing my rifle.

On a serious note, I look forward to qualification days. How else can I get paid to shoot someone else's gun and ammo?

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Gotta be honest: I work the range on the weekends and see the piles of used targets in the dumpster. Some folks are good, not so much with others. But one thing is true: I would trust the rifle folks: Theirs are usually good. The handgun targets generally stink for the distances they have set.

I really think they cripple you IMPD guys with the heavy connectors. :( I think the marksmanship would generally go up while maintaining safety numbers if they threw that little metal piece of crap out and kept the gun in it's intended form... :twocents:

Best of luck, you will outshine others! :)

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Good luck.

Will you get a cool bdge or pin to wear for a high score?

No cool badge or pin. We don't go by points any more, just how many holes in the target. For pistol quals we sometimes have a "top gun" competition with the prize being part of a target with your name, date, and "Top Gun" written on it. I'll try to take a picture of mine to show you how high speed it is.

Gotta be honest: I work the range on the weekends and see the piles of used targets in the dumpster. Some folks are good, not so much with others. But one thing is true: I would trust the rifle folks: Theirs are usually good. The handgun targets generally stink for the distances they have set.

I really think they cripple you IMPD guys with the heavy connectors. :( I think the marksmanship would generally go up while maintaining safety numbers if they threw that little metal piece of crap out and kept the gun in it's intended form... :twocents:

I was detailed to the range for 2 weeks last year and I could not believe the number of officers from IMPD, Park Rangers, and Butler University PD that can't shoot worth a crap. Qualification is the name of the game though, and as long as you meet the minimum standard you get to keep carrying your gun.

Are you talking about the connectors in the Glocks? I personally have never had a problem with them. Most of the marksmanship problems I have seen are due to jerking the trigger or not focusing on the front sight. Not sure how much the heavy connector has to do with it.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Join the Army....:ar15:

What is the course of fire for the rifle qualifications?

Hindsight being 20/20, I should have joined up after high school instead of going to college.

Rifle qualifications are 30 rounds, 50 yard line to the 5 yard line. Standing, kneeling, and prone positons. Last 6 rounds of the course are head shots. Small target, about 24 inches high by 18 inches wide. You have to score 28/30 to pass. The course is timed, but it isn't difficult to pass. Today we did a lot of malfunction drills, shooting on the move, unconventional shooting positions, and force-on-force using Simunitions. I had a lot of fun and the weather was perfect.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    Hopefully I can hit my target, especially considering all the **** poor firearms training I get at IMPD. Hope no innocent bystanders, dogs, or cars are anywhere near the direction I am pointing my rifle.
    quote]
    Set down the donut while you're firing the weapon, that always helps!

And have a great day!

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Now it is my turn for my rifle in-service. I love going out to the range. However, I wished they would have scheduled this for my "Friday" instead of my "Thursday. I will get out of the range at 2300hrs, get to bed by midnight, get up at 0430 to go to work...I don't like that feeling. Makes for a lousy day of work the next day.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Now it is my turn for my rifle in-service. I love going out to the range. However, I wished they would have scheduled this for my "Friday" instead of my "Thursday. I will get out of the range at 2300hrs, get to bed by midnight, get up at 0430 to go to work...I don't like that feeling. Makes for a lousy day of work the next day.

That's what you get for going to day shift. Sissy!

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove

C'mon man, I thought you said you wouldn't tell anyone about my targets!?!

:cool:

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Hey that was a good day of shooting. Lots of shooting from difficult positions and from under a car, my optics makes shooting from those odd positions/sngles much easier. LOVE the simunition stuff. Whenever I do that, I find myslef point-shooting my rifle/handgun at these close distances. It seems intuitive and I hit my targets without really knowing it, all without getting hit myslef. It is a confidence builder.

Top Bottom