• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    So I am a LTCH holder. I keep a shotgun in my trunk with a fully load tube and one in the chamber ready to rock and roll. If I loan my car out to a friend who does not have an LTCH but can legally buy could he getting into trouble for have it in my car?

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    So I am a LTCH holder. I keep a shotgun in my trunk with a fully load tube and one in the chamber ready to rock and roll. If I loan my car out to a friend who does not have an LTCH but can legally buy could he getting into trouble for have it in my car?

I don't know of any law making this illegal and in the absence of a law making it illegal it must be legal. Except for schools and other restricted places.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN

He nor you would be in any trouble unless he decides to park his car at a school.

But, beware if that shotgun is a pistol gripped one...

LANShark42

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Evansville
    Ok. I think I talked myself in circles. I understand the law:
    With LTCH - handgun ok in car, loaded or unloaded.
    Without LTCH - hangun not ok, UNLESS unloaded and away from driver and ammo - trunk, etc. (THIS was my initial point.)

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    That's just a pistol grip not a pistol grip with a stock?

Yes.

As for the OP, as long as you are legally allowed to own a firearm (over 18, not a felon, etc.) you can legally carry a long gun in your vehicle, on your person, loaded/unloaded, chambered/unchambered it does not matter. Obviously, legal GFZ's are out.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    CENTRAL
    Last year at a steel match one of the other shooters realized I was just stupid because I wouldn't agree that it was illegal to have a loaded rifle in your vehicle in Indiana. Then someone else supported him with, "We found the law, but we don't remember where."

I'm just silly.

rhino out!
    Those are my favorite arguments! They usually end up with the other person deciding they're right anyways. :)

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Last year at a steel match one of the other shooters realized I was just stupid because I wouldn't agree that it was illegal to have a loaded rifle in your vehicle in Indiana. Then someone else supported him with, "We found the law, but we don't remember where."

I'm just silly.

rhino out!

That's pretty much synonymous with "heard it at a gun shop."

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    Driving around with a rifle is technicly illegal if you cross within 1000 feet of a school...

Under the Federal Gun Free School Zone Act of 1994 in order to be within 1000 ft of a school while in possession of a firearm, you must be licenced by the state the zone is in to carry the firearm when in the zone. This presents a problem for residents and travellers in states like Indiana which only licences handguns. Under the letter of the Federal law, it is illegal to enter a school zone with a long gun in Indiana, LTCH or not, unless it is unloaded and locked in a case as required by the FGFSZAo1994.

That said the chances of being caught up in this is slim unless you break any other major law that attracts the attention of the Feds, but the law says what it says.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Driving with a loaded rifle is technicly illegal if within 1000 feet of a school...

Under the Federal Gun Free School Zone Act of 1994 in order to be within 1000 ft of a school while in possession of a firearm, you must be licenced by the state the zone is in to carry the firearm when in the zone. This presents a problem for residents and travellers in states like Indiana which only licences handguns. Under the letter of the Federal law, it is illegal to enter a school zone with a long gun in Indiana, LTCH or not, unless it is unloaded and locked in a case as required by the FGFSZAo1994.

That said the chances of being caught up in this is slim unless you break any other major law that attracts the attention of the Feds, but the law says what it says.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Driving around with a rifle is technicly illegal if you cross within 1000 feet of a school...

I am breaking the law sitting here at home then because I am within a 1000 feet of a school

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI

So if SB229 gets signed won't that be void? http://iga.in.gov/static-documents/2/0/e/b/20eb6386/SB0229.03.COMH.CCH001.pdf

Last edited:

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    SB229 will have no effect on the ZONE as it only applys to school parking lots, grounds, and properties in use by a school.

...and even still, you are still not "licenced" to have the long.gun so you would be in violation.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom