• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rugernut65

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Vermillion county
    Why is it that we can shoot varmits with "big" rifles and we cant use them on deer makes no sence o me. as far as that goes we can use pistols with "rifle" rounds as in 243 ,308 25-06 300wssm. why not a actual rifle ?:ar15:

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    Indiana is FLAT FLAT FLAT. The Indiana DNR wants DEAD DEER at SHORT RANGES. The longer the shot, the greater the chances of wounding the animal and leaving it to suffer - or flat out missing and causing property damage or at worst - killing somebody. If you're taking shots longer than 150 yards with a rifle caliber pistol like an Encore you're either a very experienced shooter or just plain stupid.

Is it onerous? Sure. Does it make sense to me? You betcha. If you can't kill a deer at 100 yds with a .44 mag rifle dumping 1000 lbs of energy into the animal - well, you've got other problems.

We've debated this ad nauseum. None of us really like it. Some of us see more reason and logic in it than others.

Welcome to Ingo.

rugernut65

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Vermillion county
    you must have never been to southern or west central indiana not much flatness here ,as far as that goes ive dropped deer at 150 to 200 yds with my encore(25-06) and striker pistols (300wssm, also with my 44mag rifle im a precison accuracy nut if i cant keep a 1.5in group at a 100yds im finding out why but that still dont explain why

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    The regulations are written for the least common denominator - not the precision shooter. I would not want to be on most of the public hunting land with bubba and billy bob firing 30-06's at anything brown and moving.

bigmedicine

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood
    The regulations are written for the least common denominator - not the precision shooter. I would not want to be on most of the public hunting land with bubba and billy bob firing 30-06's at anything brown and moving.

For what it is worth, your logic is sound and I agree with you. The concern, however, is that Billy and Bubby (or Billy Bubba??) can legally sling lead out of a contender in 30-06 and be perfectly legal. I don't know if that scares me more than either one with a semi-auto 12 gauge shooting sabots or a Ruger .44 carbine popping away like a crazy man. At the end of the day, all that matters is the fool behind the trigger! But... I definately wouldn't want to be out where I shoot with good old Billy Bubba popping away with a Remington 742 in 30-06. Good Lord, I might just have to give up hunting, because it would add even more danger to deer hunting.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South

Two years ago, that is what I got. I was kneeling and taking up the trigger on my Marlin 1894 (.44 Mag) on a nice doe at about 40 yards. A round goes off far too close and some yahoo that was walking up the road took a pot shot at her and missed completely. (And missed my big bright orange self by less than I would like.) She bolted. I hate not having non-public land to hunt on, but not being a serious hunter, I just haven't devoted the time or money for that. Clean kill or no kill, so on public land, I'm still at the no kill stage.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Although for most of us it makes no sense at all, the "least common denominator" argument is very valid. Anybody who's been in the hills of southern Indiana during turkey season or deer season will tell you about those "yankees" from "Indianapolis" . (Apparently, for some of my acquaintences in the Shoals area, there's Martin County, and "Indianapolis", and no place else. Had to explain that I lived about as far on the OTHER SIDE of Indy as Shoals was to the south and west till I just about gave up.)
    Never the less, it never fails on opening weekend of either season that you'll notice a bunch of noise coming from wherever they're staying. Then they'll drink too much and stay up too late, and miss out on Saturday morning. So, just to give their spiffy new shotguns a good workout, they'll shoot the bejeesus out of some poor defenseless stump, or whatever is handy. They'll repeat Friday nights misadventure on Saturday night, then pack up and head north with their hangovers on Sunday afternoon. Usually they'll leave their campsite or cabin area trashy. They have more money to buy new firearms than sense to use them safely, and I do understand why not all of the locals welcome us "hunters".

DocBoCook

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Clermont
    Least common denominator also applies to the flatlands of Northern IN, versus the hilly (End-Moraine) lands of southeast and southwest IN and the Karst landscapes of the Crawford Highlands of South Central IN. It isn't fair to us that hunt the southern areas. But on the good side it keeps people from traveling from the severe north to the south just to use HP rifles.

boman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 19, 2009
    indianapolis
    big rifles were to effective, Indiana had almost zero whitetail by 1960

pretty much right. Deer were reintroduced in the early 50's on Crane and when the DNR decided to have a hunting season they were afraid guys with rifles could/would wipe them out or keep the herd shot down enough so it couldn't expand.
    the rest is all an excuse and misconception.

Steve

yotebutcher90

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    West Lafayette
    how you last guys are talking about the deer population almost being wiped out by use of the rifle, i know that in numerous areas around the state where the deer are WAY too overpopulated, the dnr could do like they do with fall turkey hunts and say only certain counties could use such and such caliber rifles to help control the herd and reduce the number of deer and vehicle collisions and death from starvation and btv as well

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    the DNR can and will issue deer depradation permits in areas where it can be proven that the deer are causing crop damage. Not sure about vehicle collisions. Terms of the permit are .243 and larger centerfire rifle.

Top Bottom