• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • parson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    New Castle
    I acquired a S&W 686 awhile back that had a build up of black that looked similar to what your bore looks like.

It cleaned it up like new with lead away cloth and tremendous amount of "elbow grease".

Is there any chance that cast was shot through your rifle and this could be leading?

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Buy some Wipeout from Midway USA. Follow the directions. The stuff is amazing and no brush is required. I've converted quite a few non believers with it.

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    I have no idea what I am trying to clean out of this rifle. It shoots better then it did, the cleaning seems to be easier but I still get dirty patches out. I have no idea what was put down the barrel before I bought it. Everything I have put through it has been copper jacketed.

I have JB on the way so I will try that, if that does not work I will try the other siggestions.

As for going the wrong direction, I have no idea at this point I have never had a rifle with the buildup so stubborn.

As for the age of the thread, I get frustrated with this rifle and put it away and then when I get the energy I break it out and go to work on it. Plus I was out of of action for a hand injury for a couple months.

Without looking at my barrel log I think I have put about 180 rounds down the barrel and still can't get the groups consitent.

More later...

Thanks all..

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    OK, JB arrived and I finally had time to work on this rifle..

Followed recomendation from Brownells site and have seen the crap come out.

I bought some VFG Cleaner plugs and the arbor. Nice setup, and I am getting nasty black crap out of the barrel.

I kept an eye on the muzzle and saw the buildup slowly come out, but it is still bleeding black crap, I have even tried an alternate solvent that I was told to use which I had never thought about but its about the same results, dirty patches..

I am still working crap out. I am still frustrated..

Thanks for all the recomendations and opinions, I refuse to let this rifle win..

Top Bottom