• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • If you are a happy owner of a RIA 1911 did you replace any parts to be so?

• Total voters

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    Hey, your one of the FEW that keep going on and on about a pistol that many people seem to have NO issue with. At some point you have to think that maybe YOUR the problem.

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    I inherited one. It is in the safe now because I have other guns I like to shoot more but I have fired several hundred rounds. It is not as "pretty" as some others on the market but I will say this. It is accurate at 25 to 50 feet, Has never failed to run and hasn't broken. A statistical sample of one isn't much to go on and I haven't really stressed it but it seems like a product worth the price they charge.

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    I've had 2 RIA's. Both GI's. One in .45 and the other in 9mm. Both shot great. Very accurate and reliable. Finish sucked though!

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Had one (GI Mil spec) and only issue was the pivot link on barrel got egg shaped and would make slide not return in battery. Swapped out, took 2 minutes, done deal. Only shot about 3000 rds no issue. Sold to get something else.
    Replaced it last Friday. Same style GI-mil spec. Missed my old one.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I own 2 RIA's . I voted not having to replace parts but i did have to call Ria and have them send a new slide stop for my .45. The slide was locking back with 1 round left in the mag.

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    Although I picked "didn't change any parts", there is a caveat.
    I completely disassembled the gun, polished the trigger bar and stoned the hammer and sear.
    Trigger is much better now. :rockwoot:

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Hey, your one of the FEW that keep going on and on about a pistol that many people seem to have NO issue with. At some point you have to think that maybe YOUR the problem.

"FEW" is a relative #. Compare the RIA #s for how many had to replace parts, send them back, and had to "Parts Drawer" them and that # is too high to consider them a quality gun. They're ok to knock some holes in paper. They're a 1911 after all. Fun to shoot. For the price they're good for that. Like most inexpensive guns it's a cost effective toy.
    IF you're trying to say they don't have issues with quality control and parts quality, then you're kidding yourself.

Wesley929

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    NW INDY
    My RIA 1911 was the first pistol I ever bought.
    I've owned it for 9 years and fired at least 5k or 6k rounds through it. All FMJ.
    I've had a handfull of fail to feeds when it gets dirty but I really like it for what i paid for it brand new.
    I don't think I could ever get rid of it. I've got so little investment in it, enjoy shooting it, and it was the first gun I ever purchased new.

LostLake

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 7, 2013
    West Side
    Had a few stove pipe's running the first 50 rounds through it. No issues after with maybe 1000 rounds through it.

Buffed the feed ramp a little. Had planned on doing more but never got around to it.

Edit -

Oh, and I changed the grips. Rest of gun is still factory. I'll part swap in the future.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    The only part I replaced on mine was the thumb safety but that had nothing to do with quality and everything to do with my preference for an extended thumb safety. I've had no issues with my RIA compact, but I've never pushed it overly hard either. I think I have 900 to 1000 rounds through it now.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    "FEW" is a relative #. Compare the RIA #s for how many had to replace parts, send them back, and had to "Parts Drawer" them and that # is too high to consider them a quality gun. They're ok to knock some holes in paper. They're a 1911 after all. Fun to shoot. For the price they're good for that. Like most inexpensive guns it's a cost effective toy.
    IF you're trying to say they don't have issues with quality control and parts quality, then you're kidding yourself.

This kind of sums up my thoughts also. I've never had an issue with mine, but I have not pushed it hard at all. It gets a couple of hundred rounds a year run through it in 25 to 50 round increments with a cleaning and lube after every range trip. It's been a fun gun to play around with by refinishing and re-gripping it. I used it to teach myself how to fit a thumb safety and am about to strip the latest finish and redo it yet again. If I were to ever rely on it for daily carry, I think I'd put some money into better internals, but that's not a real knock against RIA. I did the same thing to my Colt Delta Elite and that cost twice what I paid for the RIA. I don't imagine doing that though, since I have other 1911s for daily carry.

Top Bottom