• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Both RIA and Taurus are not as good quality as Springfield, Ruger, S&W, Sig etc. So it depends on what you are buying the gun for. RIA's are reliable and durable basic guns. They will eat any ammo and use any magazine. I have 3 now and have owned others. You can not go wrong with a RIA. The Taurus 1911 on the other hand is hit and miss. I have shot really nice Taurus 1911's and some that were crap. Quality on Taurus is a crap shoot. Spin the wheel and take your chances. That is my opinion on those two manufacturers, you got my opinion for free take it for what its worth.

hps

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Well, that is your opinion.......Not mine. They do get shot in but everything can be made better.
    Modified 1911's are OK if the work was done correctly. That is the key.

Failure as in catastrophic or just worn the hell out??
    I just re-built one that was in fact worn out. Stock gun and ran till it was just done. Yes, they do wear out.

As to my comment.....yes, they have picked up their game but I will not own one regardless. They are OK if that is all you expect from a 1911. Folks own and love them. I have 2 on the bench right now.

I guess worn the hell out,, would worn out be a 1911 that just doesn't operate, as in not shootable? non functioning?
    My least favorite 1911 is a modified Colt and I'm positive it wasnt WORNOUT when modified. I guess bullseye accurate and just shooting accurate is 2 different things. I understand this is what you do, its all good!! Maybe later as my 1911 addiction develops I'll be where ur at.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I guess worn the hell out,, would worn out be a 1911 that just doesn't operate, as in not shootable? non functioning?
    My least favorite 1911 is a modified Colt and I'm positive it wasnt WORNOUT when modified. I guess bullseye accurate and just shooting accurate is 2 different things. I understand this is what you do, its all good!! Maybe later as my 1911 addiction develops I'll be where ur at.

Oh no worries my friend. we all have our likes/dislikes etc. As I said, depends on what was done and who did it.

One day you need to pack up and meet me at the range.......:)

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    Personally, I think both would be a good choice. Lots of people slam Taurus, but I own two, and both of them are top notched running guns.

hps

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Oh no worries my friend. we all have our likes/dislikes etc. As I said, depends on what was done and who did it.

One day you need to pack up and meet me at the range.......:)
    You ever shoot FNS? Good opportunity to run those lebbins. It can be HOT as heck OR slammin Cold!! Bowling pins and Texas are fun also. I'm just not a paper puncher, after 25 rds of paper im done!

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Figured it wouldn't last long. I need one like I need a hole in the head and I was tempted.

IKR? I had the same thought as soon as I saw the posting. CM did a trigger job on my SA Loaded and it was fantastic. Figured a gun he went over completely would have to be awesome, just don't have the $$ right now. Whoever picked it up is going to have a very nice gun for sure :)

nascarfantoo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Western IN
    Never owned a Taurus, but 3 RIAs have been in my safe. All have been reliable and good shooters. Fit and finish on my most recent has been very good with very smooth and tight action. Only item I have changed are sights (prefer fiber) and grips.

davedolli

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    106   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Clinton IN
    Taurus all the way. I have a couple Pt1911s and they shoot great. I have never had any issues what so ever with either of them. I am not a fan of RIA. I owned one for a short period of time with major feeding issues, so I dumped it.

Dave

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    You ever shoot FNS? Good opportunity to run those lebbins. It can be HOT as heck OR slammin Cold!! Bowling pins and Texas are fun also. I'm just not a paper puncher, after 25 rds of paper im done!

We shoot the steel in the bays at MCF&G. Paper can get a bit boring if it is not for a definite purpose.
    We put sporting clays out at various distances and that is fun. Active targets are always the best.
    Never seem to have the time or energy to make FNS but I want to.

db1959

Resident Dumbass I
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    In a garage
    We shoot the steel in the bays at MCF&G. Paper can get a bit boring if it is not for a definite purpose.
    We put sporting clays out at various distances and that is fun. Active targets are always the best.
    Would that jagee? :D

hps

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Well you need to plan a shoot! Bowling pins are alot less stressful according to an older fella i introduce to the game. I shoot the steel in the bays also, after 50 rds i'm bored with it also UNLESS I have a shooter that is new to the reactive target game.

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    I normally would give the nod to Taurus, but after handling several recent 1911's are putting out I'd give them the nod. Rock Island has upped there game with the half dozen or so that I've handled.

Rollerman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 1, 2012
    Goshen
    I have both a RIA Tactical that I bought new & a Taurus 1911 that I bought used (no idea of actual round count).
    They both work or run equally well.
    Accuracy is acceptable for the price range & my eyes.
    I've never had a jam & they both go bang when you pull the trigger.
    The RIA mags are kinda cheap, I don't care for the plastic mainspring housing or matte finish....but it's an affordable 1911 that works.
    The Taurus bluing isn't the best, I don't care for the Taurus lock....looks out of place on a 1911, mine came with Chip McCormick mags, so I assume the original Taurus mags were similar quality to the RIA & pitched?
    Both are nice affordable 1911's for a 1st or a good beater/truck gun if you don't want to beat up on a "safe queen" Colt, Kimber, Springer.
    If I had to pick between the two I'd go with the Rock Island.

Top Bottom