Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Campbellsburg IN.
    rocks rock

hi
    I love my rock islands I have a pair
    couple thousand rounds later ,and I cant say anything bad .
    and for less then a grand I can have one foe each hand
    9be5742e-ef5b-4f3f-b81a-d13b7519095d_zps70611b1e.jpg

UnionPmedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    NW Indiana
    I own two Rock Island's; a full size GI and an officer's model. I carry the full size in the cooler months and the officer's model in the summer.

The full size shoots anything I put in it. The officer's model is a little finicky when it comes to JHP's, I just had to find the one that worked.

I would recommend RIA and protect my family with it.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    1 in 5 RIA's will have issues of some kind. Just from what I have heard from folks who sell them. If you get a good one it will be a great experience. If you do not, well, go figure.

Even mid-range to high end pieces can be flawed out of the box. I recently bought a NIB Springfield loaded/stainless and had issues with it. I found burrs on the frame slide from the machining process that were not removed. Slide locked up after 4 mags.
    A 6 pack, jewelers files and a Cup race...back on line.
    My point is, nothing is perfect.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I'm pretty sure they are both the same Philippines Armscor 1911, just imported by different companies with different roll marks. So yeah....

Citadel has a higher rejection rate for out of spec parts than Rock Island. They come from the same place, but Rock Island only rejects 3% of parts while Citadel rejects 32% of parts (or so I've been told by a 1911 gunsmith)

So yeah....

Could also look at the modern Para 1911s

seldon14

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    Citadel has a higher rejection rate for out of spec parts than Rock Island. They come from the same place, but Rock Island only rejects 3% of parts while Citadel rejects 32% of parts (or so I've been told by a 1911 gunsmith)

So yeah....

Could also look at the modern Para 1911s

That doesn't really add up.

RIA and Citadel don't do anything but import weapons. They are built by the same company, and almost certainly on the exact same machines pulling from the exact same parts piles, other than differencese between features on models, by the same employees. Do you really think the employees are going to do anything different? I highly doubt Armscor has a higher pay grade for people building Citadels.

Unless you meant Citadel rejects more units that are sent to them in country.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    That doesn't really add up.

RIA and Citadel don't do anything but import weapons. They are built by the same company, and almost certainly on the exact same machines pulling from the exact same parts piles, other than differencese between features on models, by the same employees. Do you really think the employees are going to do anything different? I highly doubt Armscor has a higher pay grade for people building Citadels.

Unless you meant Citadel rejects more units that are sent to them in country.

Just saying what a 1911 smith told me, and I believe him, either way, Citadel rejects more parts for being out of spec, or more complete firearms for not meeting their requirements.

BudS

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    Jeffersonville, IN
    I don't think you could go wrong with the RI. My EDC is a RIA Tactical CS 3.5". Right out of the box it operated flawlessly. After a trigger job and the standard ramp & feed, just made this piece smoother! I like it better than some of my more expensive 1911's!

dugsagun

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    portage
    Heh, practically every company or their parent company or thier subsidiary makes a version of the grand ol 1911. Pick yer fav company, and buy their version :)

jballs

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2013
    I've had a GI RIA for a couple of months now. Compared to my Kimber, it's seemingly as accurate, chews through different ammo types, and feels just as tight.
    I don't like sights on the GI model, but unfortunately they didn't have a tactical for sale when I bought it. I don't like the non-extended thumb safety either, but both of those are things that can be changed.

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    Rock Island is an excellent starting point for a first 1911. They're good firearms, plus with the affordable price point, you will be able to see whether you like the 1911 platform or not without having too much invested. You will also start to get an idea of what features you like and don't like on a 1911. I hate to call a new gun a practice gun, but the RI will also give you chance to practice taking down and reassembling a 1911. God forbid you put a scratch on it, you won't feel as bad as you would if it were a $1000+ gun.

Last edited:

David

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2011
    Rock Island is a division of Armscor not an importer. Citadel (among others) buys parts from Armscor to build guns out of. Armscor has a warranty facility in Pahrump Nevada and has recently opened an ammo manufacturing facility in Montana. They are making an effort to manufacture in this country.

cmamath13

Master
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    Greenwood
    Rock Island is a division of Armscor not an importer. Citadel (among others) buys parts from Armscor to build guns out of. Armscor has a warranty facility in Pahrump Nevada and has recently opened an ammo manufacturing facility in Montana. They are making an effort to manufacture in this country.
    Just to clarify, are you say Citadel is trying to manufacture in USA or RIA? Or both?

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Only Rock Island I've owned is the 22TCM/9mm 1911 but it has been flawless. If you can afford a Kimber I would go that direction but if not something like this would be my choice.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS, cursive]NRA Life member [/FONT][FONT=Comic Sans MS, cursive]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=Comic Sans MS, cursive]
    [/FONT][FONT=Comic Sans MS, cursive]Gunsite graduate[/FONT][FONT=Comic Sans MS, cursive] [/FONT][FONT=Comic Sans MS, cursive]Certified Glock armorer[/FONT]

Rock Island Arms 1911 TACTICAL .45 ACP 70 series : Semi Auto Pistols at GunBroker.com

David

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2011
    Just to clarify, are you say Citadel is trying to manufacture in USA or RIA? Or both?

I think Citadel is already in the US, but they don't manufacture anything, they assemble guns out of parts they buy from various vendors, although I am not 100% sure.

Martin Tuason (CEO of Armscor) recognizes the USA as one of the few gun friendly places in the world and is trying hard to cater to the US market. The Neveda service center has been here for a while, the Montana ammo plant is new and he aparantly has plans to move even more of their manufacturing from the Phillipines to the US. Between Rock Island and the assortment of other companies using their parts, Armscor is building more 1911s right now than anyone else out there.

Top Bottom