• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    111   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    :scratch: The GP100 is a larger framed revolver than a model 19 (k-framed). The differences in frame between a gp100, a Smith L-frame and a Colt python are so close as to be moot.

Maybe you're really searching for something in the n-frame size chambered for 357. Perhaps a Smith Model 27 or 28?:dunno:

I must be mixed up on my Smith model #'s because it was bigger than the gp100 for sure. I'm not so great at this revolver stuff yet, it's a whole new world to me! Pretty sure the 686 felt bigger to me as well, maybe the gp100 I had just had smaller grips or something. I'm pretty sure the one Smith I was looking at was a 19 though. I will look at the gp100 he has in his case and see the difference. :ugh:

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    My first revolver was a blues steel S&W model 19. I later bought a nickle 19. I probably placed at least 15,000 rounds through the first without any problems.

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    smython_4inch_silver_wood_prop.jpg

That's what I thought. I saw the Python barrel and there on back was pure S&W.

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    I have read nothing but good things about the model 19! I plan on checking out the one my LGS has next week a lot closer. :yesway:

You can't go wrong. The older blue steel had a few problems with the blueing. The back strap had a tendency to pit somewhat. That's why I bought a nickle. You might try a 686. They are very similar in nature. I have one but it's a commerative pistol and has never been shot.

Take care and good luck.

IMakeGum

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Model 19-2, custom grips from Jim Badger:
    picture.php

I thought 19-2's are not manufactured anymore, but I could be wrong. Is the one at your LGS used? I love my 19-2 and would absolutely not part with it...and have already had an offer from someone to buy it.
    Someone else mentioned Rossi's and I have one of those, too. They really are great shooters and very affordable. I say start with the Smith, get a Rossi and all the while save up for a python!! :) FWIT.....

Also, for a 4" barrel, I also say go with a 686 (or 586 if you like blued). I have shot that and the trigger pull in DA is smooth and light (for a revolver). I think, personally, all smith revolver triggers are smooth and light compared to other models.
    I had to adjust the trigger on my Rossi to lighten it, but now it is smooth and easy, too. The Rossi's at my LGS have super heavy triggers. If you get one, be prepared to adjust the trigger pull....

upchurch67

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    I love my Model 19-3. I've had it for about 5 years now. 4" pinned barrel and recessed cylinder. For my CC gun, I go back and forth between it and my Kimber Custom Classic. It is very accurate. "Shootability" is outstanding.

IMakeGum- I really admire your 19-2. That is one sweet looking bit of hardware

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    I've had both, I still have the Python. Much smoother, much more accurite.

I had a guy I use to work with several years back He carried a 2" Python. He would shoot a perfect score with it each time. I don't think people can appreciate a revolver unless they have either the 19 or the Python. Both were dead on and reliable.

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    I had a guy I use to work with several years back He carried a 2" Python. He would shoot a perfect score with it each time. I don't think people can appreciate a revolver unless they have either the 19 or the Python. Both were dead on and reliable.

Yup, both the Python & Model 19 reputation's are well deserved IMHO, hard to go wrong with either one.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    111   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Man I love hearing these stories!! Makes me want one more no doubt, the 3 choices I've been presented with are the Smith model 19, 686, or Colt Python. I like all three, I would like a Python the most but odds aren't great. I'm not sure about the Model 19 newness, the piece I saw at my LGS looks just like the model 19's I see here and elsewhere on the webz, but I can't say for sure if it's. I might swing by the shop tomorrow and take a closer look. He has a couple 686's as well that I like the looks and feel of, not knocking them at all! I have shot a couple 686's over the years and they shoot great. I wish Colt still made the Python! At least I have good choices. :yesway:

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    S&W 19 is a very nice revolver. The Python is a little better still in my opinion, but not enough to warrant the vast difference in price.

Either gun will withstand a lifetime of significant use, or several lifetimes of occasional use.

FERLACH

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    Plainfield
    I have been involved in guns for over 45 years, Pythons are way overpriced right now. Nice Smith Wesson revolvers are in $500.00 -$700.00 range. Pythons are $1000.00 up. No way they are worth that.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    S&Ws ain't what they used to but with a Colt DA wheelgun finding someone nowdays who actually knows how to work on it is going to be very tough. They are finely tuned mechanisms assembled by men with the skills of a watchmaker who weren't paid based on how many units per hour they could crank out. These are from a time when we had craftsmen instead of assemblers. And as FERLACH pointed out they can suck down some serious money. They really are almost museum pieces today.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    111   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Thanks for the tips everyone, I don't seem to be able to round up a Python anyways so Smith it's. ;) Now to figure out which one I want! I need to hit my LGS and figure out what he has for sure, my buddy told me about a used model 19 he saw as well.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    111   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    The revolver I thought was a model 19 is actually a model 27. While there I spied a nice condition Colt official police revolver, nickel plated, 4" barrel, 38 special. I played with it and like it a lot, I think I am going to pick it up and hold off on the 357 mag for awhile. I'd probably just shoot 38's through it anyways. :):

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    I have handled and shot a lot of Colt DA revolvers and tuned and shot a lot of S&Ws. I would also pick a S&W over any Colt every time. Smooth as butter and no stacking and the end of the pull. And a single action pull that needs NO improvement.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom