• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Clearly the Smith or Ruger revolers will have better finish and quality than an EAA Windicator, but I just bought one from Gander on sale for $249 and for the money its a heck of a gun imo. Its probably close to half the price of a S&W, not a bad value. They have a lifetime warranty as well.

Ryno

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Shelbyville, IN
    I have and have shot all kinds. Have my eye on a Rossi .357. Maybe Santa will see this. Like was said earlier, if you like the Taurus, I'd get it. I believe their reputation has greatly improved over the last several years.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Taurus...I had a 850 once...but it kept jamming during cylinder rotation. After getting it 'repaired' twice...I traded it.

I picked up a Ruger GP100 a few weeks ago...a 4", stainless, FIXED-sight version. Wow...it's perfect (in my book)! Looks like it had been a safe-queen b/c there is a minimal mark on the cylinder, but no marks what-so-ever on the grips...and the gun was built in 1995. I've had a Ruger GP100 4" previously, but with the adjustable sights and larger grip...and it was just a bit too big for comfort. This smaller-gripped, fixed sight version...perfect for me.

I've had Smith's, Taurus's, Colt's, Kahr's, Ruger's, etc...and out of all of them...the Rugers have been the most dependable, the most accurate...and the heaviest built revolver.

You can't go wrong with a GP100!

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    My first .357 was a Taurus and it still works like a champ. My EDC is a Taurus semi. If you like the way the Taurus feels, I say go for it. They're troopers and work quite well. I've never regretted buying mine at all and I've never had an issue with any of my Taurus firearms. Can't go wrong with a lifetime warranty, either. Not that you're likely to need it in a revolver.

fastwally

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Peru
    I use my 4" S&W M 29 as my trail gun, especially when I'm out west. It's probably the most accurate handgun I own.

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    I have or had all manufacturers mentioned and I carry from time to time the little Ruger SP 101 for comfort and power. I would give the nod to the Smith's first, ruger next and a Taurus if the trigger felt good by accident straight out of the box. The Taurus is a well made gun but has a tendency to have a horrendous trigger pull and with that coil spring behind the hammer it's quite hard to fix. The Smith's have the best triggers because of the design of their lock work. The Ruger's for some reason even though they have the hammer coil spring design can be tuned to be pleasurable to shoot. I like the Dan Wesson's too but you won't find any new ones of those...

I did experience some locking up of the cylinder with the SP101 and certain brands of brass where the case rims would seat back into the sharp edges of the blast shield but all was fixed once I had the blast shields sharp edges smoothed out. Now it shoots everything I put in it. I do carry the Smith 686 6 inch out away from the city and have been known to have my Dan Wesson 357 Max if out in the real sticks, nothing speaks with authority like a full house 357 mag... Welcome to the revolver cult... whichever way you go...

darinb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Scott county,indiana
    The taurus 66 is a good gun. I carried one at work for a while. I have had great luck with Taurus products. I am now carrying a Taurus SS85UL. I have handled the EAA but not shot one. It seemed like a well built gun. If you buy a used revolver then make sure and check it out good. Timing is everything.

xdmstu

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Lower NE Indy
    I use my 4" S&W M 29 as my trail gun, especially when I'm out west. It's probably the most accurate handgun I own.

How's the kick on that? Or is the cost of each bullet the bigger kick? :D

Man, I started digging a bit more back into Smith & Wesson: 686p (7 round) so nice.

I would love to find a good used, S&W 620 with 4" barrel. It is also a 7rnd but has the shorter, semi-lug. I really like that look. They have some at Budsguns.com ($670), but I was hoping to spend less for this firearm.

Decisions. Time to step up the hunt.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    In .357 ---
    A GP100 will run around $550-$600, you might find used for ~$100 less.
    The SP101 will run $450-$480, $50-$100 less for used.
    The Security Six will go anywhere from $275 to >$400, condition is important; I haven't seen any $250 guns in a while.
    Colt Trooper - $350 and up
    Smith Model 19, about the same as Colt.

fastwally

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Peru
    How's the kick on that? Or is the cost of each bullet the bigger kick? :D

I have Hogue grips on it and the kick isn't bad with stock 240 gr, but when I step up to the 300 gr full load XTP's it gets a little wilder. You can always use 44 special ammo to reduce the cost of plinking.

target64

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    West Side
    I own two of the four inch Taurus 66' and one in 6 inch. I like their price point but better yet the way they feel in my grip.Taurus ,Ruger,Smith and Wesson are all good revolvers so my suggestion is get the one that feels best in "YOUR" hands:twocents:

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    I can't believe it but I just saw almost what I had previously described as the "perfect" trail gun. It was a stainless steel J Frame Smith and Wesson M60 5 shot .357 with a 5" barrel. I know I said 4" but an extra inch didn't look too bad and the frame felt a little lighter than the Ruger and with the right hogue grip, you had a place for all fingers.

It appears I'm going to have to make room for a new arrival.

Anelson

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    Indiana
    kdmstu -- I do not have enough posts to reply to your pm so I guess I'll type it all back out on here haha. I made it out to the range today and have to say I was quite impressed with this pistol its very ballanced and shoots great. With the porting it is very manageable even with the 357mag. I just remembered why I always moved away from the wheel guns. I just dont care for the sa/da and reloading every 7rds. I actually posted it up for sale on the "other" forum. All in all its a great gun but its just not really my thing lol.
    Anelson

railbug

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    Noblesville
    I have the EAA 357 can't beat it for the money $250 new, the only problem is finding a holster and maybe a fast loader. I guess maybe you get what you pay for in the lesser named guns.

Top Bottom