Revolver For Wife. Hammer or Hammerless?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • partyboy6686

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    Indianapolis
    So my wife is wanting a small frame snubby 38sp revolver. With the rise in crime she has came to her senses and wants to apply for a LTCH and start carrying. So I am going to take her gun shopping this weekend and hopefully buy something. I want her to see how the gun feels in her hand and make sure she likes it. But should I get one with a hammer so she can shoot it easier at the range in single action with the hammer cocked or go for a hammerless model and train her to learn how to shoot double action mode?

possum_128

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area
    That my friend, is up to her, not you or the members here. Let her choose the type of carry, be it a revolver with/without a hammer or some type of semi. After all, it will be her gun to defend her life with.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Single action would be more fun for her at the range. However, hammerless would be more convenient and easy for her to CC because the hammer wouldn't get caught on things in a purse/etc. I would say it depends how much she would shoot at the range, how she would carry, and more importantly, how she feels about the two options.

partyboy6686

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    Indianapolis
    That my friend, is up to her, not you or the members here. Let her choose the type of carry, be it a revolver with/without a hammer or some type of semi. After all, it will be her gun to defend her life with.

She doesn't want a semi auto. She has been to the range with me and doesn't like the spent casing flying out of the gun.

Single action would be more fun for her at the range. However, hammerless would be more convenient and easy for her to CC because the hammer wouldn't get caught on things in a purse/etc. I would say it depends how much she would shoot at the range, how she would carry, and more importantly, how she feels about the two options.

Yea the hammer getting caught on something is a concern of mine.

S&W 642 would be a good choice if it fits her well.

The 642 is for sure one of the revolvers I would like her to look at.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    One thing to consider... if you get a revolver with a hammer for single-action shooting, make sure there's plenty of practice in double action as well, especially follow-up shots. Any defensive engagement is going to be double action exclusively, and that takes some practice to handle well, especially if all you're used to is the light, short single action trigger.

swmp9jrm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2008
    NCO
    Smartest thing is to let her try a bunch to see what suits her best. That said, here's my experience: my wife likes my Ruger LCR .38+P for weight and trigger pull. Unfortunately, she doesn't like the recoil. So I bought her an LCR in .22 magnum - double action, same size but slightly heavier than my LCR. She liked it till the first range trip, and found out what the trigger pull was like on the rimfire version - 16 pounds! Sooo, bought her a Taurus 941 (.22 magnum) that is SA/DA and has a hammer. In single action, trigger pull is only 4 pounds, and it made it much easier to shoot for her. Still 16 pounds in double action, but at least she now has something manageable. She has not found a semi-auto yet that she can rack the slide on, so these are pretty much out of picture.

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    Although heavy in the purse, the extra weight of the 640 made it manageable for my wife to shot 38 & 38+p loads. 357 loads, however, were uncomfortable, so she simply carried the +p loads.

The Ruger SP101 is another option she might want to look at, since it has a few extra ounces to soak up recoil.

Regarding the hammer, I liked the slick back on the old 640 but feel more comfortable shooting a regular hammer (even in DA.) Plus the hammer helps a thumbrake retention strap work. HMMV.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    A lot depends on how she wants to carry it. For a carry piece, I'd recommend a hammerless if I was asked. Less chance to snag, and you aren't likely to be shooting single action if you have to pull in a defense situation. There are also "compromise" guns that have a round back and a recessed hammer, so they are both snag free and allow thumb cocking, but at the cost of a bit of concealability. The older Bodyguard comes to mind, but I'm not a big enough S&W guy to tell you all the models it came in.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    Go with the hammer. Trusty me it will be easier to resale if she graduates.
    Honestly, she can learn to deploy any weapon if she trains with it.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars

/thread

Also, I would recommend getting her training rather than doing it yourself. No matter how great your relationship is, this kind of training and coaching will be absorbed better from an outside source.

Hmm... Notice I said Coaching... I wonder if anyone around here would be good at that sort of thing? :dunno:

Six Forty-Two

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    W. Lafayette
    I agree. The S&W 642 is not fun to shoot, but changing out the grips to Hogue Monogrips make it more tolerable. It would be a little bulkier to carry, but easier to shoot. The model 638 is the similar version with the round back and concealed hammer that was mentioned above.

partyboy6686

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    Indianapolis
    /thread

Also, I would recommend getting her training rather than doing it yourself. No matter how great your relationship is, this kind of training and coaching will be absorbed better from an outside source.

Hmm... Notice I said Coaching... I wonder if anyone around here would be good at that sort of thing? :dunno:

Yea I was looking into some all female training classes. Im pretty sure BGF does them. Seen a sign on the wall last time I was at the range there.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Of course, whatever she wants is paramount.

But there's one model that is nearly the best of both worlds- the S&W 638- shrouded hammer

163070_01_md.jpg

Ryno300

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2009
    Fly over country
    Good advice on here. It's definitely got to be her pick. We have a Taurus Ultra Lite 38 sp that my wife loves to shoot. It's got plenty of recoil, but she has confidence with it. I wish it was shrouded for carry easy. Had her try the Bersa Thunder in 380. I thought it would be a good carry choice for her with it being slim and having a safety option, but she just doesn't like semi-auto. I think the flying brass is part of it, but I think personal preference and confidence are the main drivers. Good luck and glad to hear she's moving in that direction.

Top Bottom