• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    I've always been a semi-auto kinda guy but lately I've been thinking about revolvers. BIG caliber revolvers with short barrels. :D What I've learned so far is that I don't know much about them. I think I like Ruger Redhawks (what makes some of them "Super?"), and the S&W "bear protection" kits. I'm sure that I want .357 or bigger... whatever I decide to get will not be scheduled for SD/HD, CC or night stand duty. Just a fun gun 'cause recoil, muzzle flash and noise make me smile.;)

It's my understanding that S&W and Ruger are the way to go, though some people say Taurus is OK, too. I own a PT1911 and a 9mm 24/7 and both have been reliable so I'm not skeered of Taurus, just uninformed about their revolvers.

Any thoughts, suggestions, or links to websites are appreciated!

:ingo:

huntercam

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2010
    Middlebury, IN
    Every one has their own fav's, mine would have to be Smith! If you want big go for the short barrell .500 - shoot one and you will definately feel the rush.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I've never owned any revolvers other than Ruger. The ones I have owned over the years have handled everything I've ever fired through them, without a problem. I love the Super Blackhawk, as the one I had, a .44 mag, was dead nuts accurate out to 75-80 yds, maybe more. It was lighter, and not nearly as chunky as my 7.5 Superredhawk, which I also loved but was significantly more punishing to shoot than the Alaskan of mine you fired a few weeks back, due to the design of the grips. The Hogues on the Alaskan make a HUGE difference! I usually will fire maybe two dozen rounds of .44 magnums, then switch over to .44 specials in the Alaskan simply because I just can't take all that blast right in front of my face anymore, but I wouldn't part with that pistol. For the short barrel, I honestly can say I shoot more accurately with it than any of my other guns. If you want to do some more shooting with it, gimme a shout, I may be able to hit the range Friday.

gunwh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Taurus actually produces there revolvers on the old j frame patent and from there old tooling. both smith and taurus as you may know have life time warrentee's on there guns. Ruger on the other hand has no warrentee but are known to take care of there guns for little to no cost. The Ruger's are also known for there ruged builds. In my opinion it is a toss up between all of them for reliability. If your looking for the least expensive of the three then taurus would be the least expensive with Smith in a close second and ruger third. Hope this helps some.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    My revolvers are S&W and I think their triggers and 2nd to none. Taurus is kind of a knock-off of S&W and their triggers are excellent too, from what I've dry fired.
    Can't go wrong with Ruger either. If you're trying to decide between Ruger and S&W, two things to consider are 1)the different cylinder latches. S&W pushes forward, Ruger pushes sideways into the frame.2) Rugers come with a wrap around rubber grip that, while good, cant be changed to something else. S&W has a conventional frame that can accomodate a variety of grips.
    Have fun blasting!:draw:

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I will also add, just for the record, that I don't carry my Alaskan as an EDC, but I have a feeling that if I were in a bad situation, where self defense is required, I would probably be thinking in the back of my mind "damn, I wish I had my Alaskan"!

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    the Alaskan of mine you fired a few weeks back, due to the design of the grips.

-snip-

If you want to do some more shooting with it, gimme a shout, I may be able to hit the range Friday.

Ya know, the more I think about it the more I blame you for me wanting a revolver.
    Actually, I don't mind... I'd never fired a .44mag before and I liked it! So yours is an Alaskan? Isthat a Redhawk variant, or its own line? Eeh, I'll get on the websites for Ruger, S&W and Taurus and figure it out.

I'm free on Friday so Henryville (in the morning) sounds good to me!

huntercam

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2010
    Middlebury, IN
    I have owned all three. T- was great, R- was great, S- was great. Go with what feels the best and best fits your budget. My EDC is my Smith M&P 360 in 357mag. Backup - Ruger SP101. For cool looking revolvers go to geminicustoms.com. Fun ways to spend extra money on great guns.

DanO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    NW IN
    What is the budget? You will not regret a Colt Python. I love my K and L frames S&W's actions, but I DREAM of a Python......

My Rugers have been tanks with decent triggers, very reliable, but different from the Smiths. I had a Taurus snub that had a better action than any J frame S&W I had ever felt but that was unusual for a Taurus.

There is a nice N Frame S&W 629 4" for sale in the classifieds.

huntercam

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2010
    Middlebury, IN
    What is the budget? You will not regret a Colt Python. I love my K and L frames S&W's actions, but I DREAM of a Python......

My Rugers have been tanks with decent triggers, very reliable, but different from the Smiths. I had a Taurus snub that had a better action than any J frame S&W I had ever felt but that was unusual for a Taurus.

There is a nice N Frame S&W 629 4" for sale in the classifieds.

Second the Rugers being tanks with decent triggers. My taurus's trigger was pretty good, better than the Ruger. My Smiths, no comparison - smooth as a baby bottom!

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Yes, mine is officially a Super Redhawk Alaskan. Pretty much a regular Super Redhawk with the barrel cut off. Yeah, I'll get with you tomorrow night to confirm, but Friday morning sounds good to me.

686 Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Huntington County
    I currently own 3 Ruger revolvers, and several other Ruger guns, they are all tanks, but all are reliable. I own a couple Colt revolvers, beautiful revolvers and they shoot very well, exspensive, but hold their value. And then there is Smith and Wesson, I own several and will own several more, they are the way that all revolvers should be built. I am not knocking anyone's revolvers, but if you look at their line of revolvers, they pretty much have all bases covered. I have a 3" model 29 44 Magnum that has been magna-ported, it barks real loud, blows a lot of fire, and is about as accurate as any of my big bore handguns, it will stop almost anything that crosses it's path and it is somewhat compact (or as compact as a N frame can be). I guess I could go on and on about Smith & Wesson, my number one pick for handguns.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    First off, revolvers rock! :rockwoot: They are great guns and a blast to shoot:D You wont regret getting one. I like all 3 you mentioned Taurus, Ruger , and S&W. I own a Taurus m85, bought it used several years ago and love it! No problems at all and fun to shoot. I also have a Charter Arms that I am very happy with. I have fired many Ruger revolvers and a few Smiths and always been impressed by them. Good luck with your decision.

BigD

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Indy Geist Area
    Agreed. I'm a big fan of revolvers. I'm rather partial to the S&W series. Nothing like thumbing back that fat hammer and letting it rip. .357 is a good starting point, but .44 is a little more satisfying.

railbug

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    Noblesville
    I have a EAA 357 with a short barrel, for a very cheap revolver not a bad gun. I have fired 150 round with no problems. The big names are great firearms but for a fun gun the price is right.

Water63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    West Central IN
    I have all 3 mentioned all are great in their own way.
    I prefer the Smith and Rugers but mainly because I am old school. One thing to remember if you don't reload anything over the 357 will get pricey to shoot. The 357 is a great size to start with you can find ammo fairly cheap recoils not too bad and with 38's it is a fun gun to shoot all day.
    Just my :twocents:
    Good luck and have fun with whatever you get.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    I, too, have been considering another revolver. I love my Rossi M88 .38spl. It's small, accurate and been great for over 1500 rounds. Because of it, I've been thinking about their .357 with the 2" bbl. I figure if I miss, the attacker will at least be blind, deaf and on fire giving me a chance to escape.

Colonel D

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Indy
    I'm sure that I want .357 or bigger... whatever I decide to get will not be scheduled for SD/HD, CC or night stand duty. Just a fun gun 'cause recoil, muzzle flash and noise make me smile.;)

The S&W 340PD .357 mag AirLite will fit all the criteria you mentioned. I'd recommend you try one before you buy anything else. I know mine makes me smile everytime I look at it, pick it up, or feel the recoil and observe the muzzle flash. ;) It'll go nicely in the pocket, on the belt, or on the ankle as well.

26237.jpg

Top Bottom