• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hellion_1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    Putnam County
    I recently traded my first revolver for my second. I just fired about 25 rounds out of it and it now has pronounced rings on the barrel-end of the cylinder where the cylinder meets the forcing cone. This revolver has a matte-finished cylinder. My last one had a stainless finished cylinder with the same issue. After attempting to clean with nitro-solvent and CLP, I still cannot get the rings out. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I don't know everything, and have not used every kind of cleaner, but I have a S&W mod., 19, and I have never got the "rings" off the end of my cylinder.... if someone tells you the secret, please let us know .....

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    392   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    The best for me..

The rings at the front of the cyl. can be a pain in the A$$. The lead wipe away cloth works for me. Now there will be a flow of people who will come flying in to tell you that the wipe away cloth will take off blue, and is hard on nickle.
    Anything is hard on anything, if used with NO common sense!!:n00b:
    The wipe away/Flitz polish system works for all my revolvers=blued-stainless+nickle. Have used both for years and my guns are in "As New" condition at all times.
    Just my :twocents: Bill..

Viper393

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Clark County
    I don't know everything, and have not used every kind of cleaner, but I have a S&W mod., 19, and I have never got the "rings" off the end of my cylinder.... if someone tells you the secret, please let us know .....

Same here with my stainless GP100 and the wife's 642. I just got used to it being there.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Start getting used to the idea that the rings don't really matter if this is a shooter. Constantly working to remove them is going to open up the bb./cyl. gap. You'll do more dange than good. Whatever comes off with solvent and a soft brush or rag is good enough. They will always come back. Worry about the chambers and the bore. Keep them squeaky clean. While shooting revolvers in I.P.S.C. competition with cast lead bullets (lots of them) we only worried about getting the lead buildup off the front of the cylinder. Most of us used a single edge razor blade at a very low angle and just shaved it off in one pass. Wipe and you're done. Worrying about carbon rings on a revolver cyl. face is like worrying about the soot on the inside of a chrome exhaust pipe.

Last edited:

Hellion_1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    Putnam County
    Start getting used to the idea that the rings don't really matter if this is a shooter. Constantly working to remove them is going to open up the bb./cyl. gap.

That is kind of what I thought as well. It isn't a real big deal, but I wanted other opinions. I am not a big fan of Duo-tone weapons, but this new Judge is growing on me and I just wanted to keep it looking good. Thanks everyone for your input.

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    If you were selling it and wanted to have that low round count look, then it might be time to clean it up....otherwise don't worry about it.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Those little "scorch" marks make my S&W 642 look "mean". hehe

Hey, it's a snub-nose revolver. It needs all the help it can get.

But, as has been said: lead-away cloth should work. Can also try a pencil eraser, that MIGHT work. Hasn't worked on MY revolver, though. I've not come across any lead-away cloth, so I've never purchased any.

Other than just wanting it off the cylinder, it really is no big deal to leave it on there.

-J-

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    A side observation...I have seen many S&W revolvers at guns shows being sold as "NIB" that don't have the carbon rings, usually means they have been shot and are used as the factory tests fires every gun with normally 3 rounds. On a 6 shot they use every other chamber. A completely clean cylinder face means it was cleaned for some reason, usually because it is really a used gun.

Last edited:

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington

kboom524

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    New Haven
    Start getting used to the idea that the rings don't really matter if this is a shooter. Constantly working to remove them is going to open up the bb./cyl. gap. You'll do more dange than good. Whatever comes off with solvent and a soft brush or rag is good enough. They will always come back. Worry about the chambers and the bore. Keep them squeaky clean. While shooting revolvers in I.P.S.C. competition with cast lead bullets (lots of them) we only worried about getting the lead buildup off the front of the cylinder. Most of us used a single edge razor blade at a very low angle and just shaved it off in one pass. Wipe and you're done. Worrying about carbon rings on a revolver cyl. face is like worrying about the soot on the inside of a chrome exhaust pipe.

:+1:I have 2 stainless Ruger Super Blackhawks and a Stainless S&W 686 all have the rings on cylinder face. I don't worry about it. M stainless Single Six even has them. These are all shooters and anything I do to remove them will probably wear the cylinder face down over the long term, so I clean I good as I can and leave the rings alone.

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    I forgot about this as I really don't care whether they are there or not, but when I shoot black powder substitute through my SA revolvers, the rings go away. American Pioneer Powder is the brand of BP sub I use.

MarlinMan68

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Indiana-Michigan State Line
    You didn't say if it was a center or rimfire.Rimfire is just dirty(pennies per round,you get what you pay for)and is not worth fussing over other than a quick brush job.If its a center fire I will put more effort in it because I tend to buy higher end large revolvers.

chraland51

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Camby Area
    I recently used some brass and copper polish to remove the powder rings on my stainless redhawk. The grit in the polish should not be hard or abrasive enough to cut into the stainless and seems to do a good job at removing the burned powder.

Top Bottom