• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Good point, I forgot about that. With the Senators. I need to go reread my Constitution now.

Technically the National Guard isn't the Militia. Not anymore. And most states don't have militias. And anyone referring to themselves as one quickly gets made fun of or shunned as freaks.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    The way it originally was in the Constitution, where Senators were elected by state legislatures. It gave the states a method to have "a say" in the running of the federal government - something which was completely removed by the 17th.

The other method that the federal government has quite successfully used is to claim that "the militia," as mentioned in the 2nd, only pertains to the National Guard. Of course, it is not used in the same paragraph as any mention of the nearly constant federalization of the Guard, so that, rather than taking orders from the state's governor, they take orders only from the president (through the usual active-duty chain of command). The is no mention of the distinction between "select militia" and "unorganized militia."

The individual states have been completely removed from the equation in both issues.

I just wanted to add to this. The word Militia is meant to distinguish such forces from military forces. Militias were (still should be in my opinion) made up of ordinary citizens. They didn't get paid and there was no fixed term of service. Militia was to Millitary as Volunteer Fireman is to Fireman. For some reason Militia has come to receive a lot more scary perception in popular culture than it historically deserves. The British were using militia back in the 1300's when every able bodied man got together in the village commons once a month to practice with their longbows. Now due to various social pressures our culture is making it politically incorrect to even talk openly about Militia.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    I just wanted to add to this. The word Militia is meant to distinguish such forces from military forces. Militias were (still should be in my opinion) made up of ordinary citizens. They didn't get paid and there was no fixed term of service. Militia was to Millitary as Volunteer Fireman is to Fireman. For some reason Militia has come to receive a lot more scary perception in popular culture than it historically deserves. The British were using militia back in the 1300's when every able bodied man got together in the village commons once a month to practice with their longbows. Now due to various social pressures our culture is making it politically incorrect to even talk openly about Militia.

Everyone IS in the unorganized militia, except those who are in the National Guard or the federal military.

US CODE: Title 10,311. Militia: composition and classes

Armed & Christian

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    MSG2 S.E. INDY
    In the vernacular of the day, the phrase "well-regulated" referred to the degree of training and preparedness, not to governmental legislation, oversight, or control. A "well-regulated" Militia group was expected to train to the same degree of proficiency as regular army troops, turn out for muster with their gear squared away and a serious, teachable attitude.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    In the vernacular of the day, the phrase "well-regulated" referred to the degree of training and preparedness, not to governmental legislation, oversight, or control. A "well-regulated" Militia group was expected to train to the same degree of proficiency as regular army troops, turn out for muster with their gear squared away and a serious, teachable attitude.

This.

Basically the militia that is recognized by the State and follows the mandates of the State, but is not part of the National Guard. It used to be the National Guard, but they were Federalized. Essentially taking the Militia's away from the states. Indiana has such a militia, though, I don't remember their website. They did come here recruiting at one point but everyone flamed them away.

Of course, the unorganized militia is us. All of us. 17-75. :D

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    The 16th and the 17th need to go.

If taxes were apportioned according to population, the California voters would get rid of the people that brought them that big tax bill, and the rest of us would be far better off.

"Direct Election of Senators" got rid of an essentail "check and balance" on the power of the federal government. The Senators were indented to represent the State, especially in matters of budget.

The people already have their representatives.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    Have you come a cross any militias that have earned anything different?

Please list a few examples.

Is that a serious question?? In the first place, since the media is obsessed with sensationalizing everything, they only report on ANYTHING if there's something that can sell ad space. Think about it: how many times have you heard from the media about LTCH holders who go about their daily business, providing for their families? How many times does the media report on cops who are friendly, helpful, and professional? Probably about the same number of times as you've read in the paper about militia members who meet monthly to practice communication, camping skills, food storage and prep, fire and manuever skills, and shooting. (or those that have adopted highways, etc)

But, let an LTCH holder have an ND and injure someone, and it's all over the media! Let one cop tazer a 14 year old, and the media calls 'off with his head!" But, let one militia member dress in camo and distrust the government, and the media holds him up as some kind of 'kook.' In this case, the government is more than willing to assist the media, because, as logic tells you, the militia is (or can be) a counter to government force. The media wants you to listen to the media's opinion - this is the same media that is owned or sponsored by Turner Broadcasting (Jane Fonda, anyone?), GE (defense contractor), etc. The government wants you to listen to the media because it fits the government's purpose to have everyone discount "militia" as an un-needed anachronism that is full of goofballs, and which could easily be eliminated legislatively, or if that fails: forcefully.

It sounds like you believed the media.

Armed & Christian

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    MSG2 S.E. INDY
    This.

Basically the militia that is recognized by the State and follows the mandates of the State, but is not part of the National Guard. It used to be the National Guard, but they were Federalized. Essentially taking the Militia's away from the states. Indiana has such a militia, though, I don't remember their website. They did come here recruiting at one point but everyone flamed them away.

Of course, the unorganized militia is us. All of us. 17-75. :D

There are a few different organizations that all claim to be the "official" Indiana State Militia. So far, none of them have passed the first and simplest litmus test for legitimacy: does the Governor recognize your group?

Until and unless the Governor of the State of Indiana actually recognizes a militia group, it is an illegitimate group--since the militia answers to the Governor.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    They did come here recruiting at one point but everyone flamed them away.

No. They posted a single time, never answered any questions, and never appeared again. If you're not going to answer a question, you're not getting any respect from me. If you want to lemming your way to the ocean, go with them.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    There are a few different organizations that all claim to be the "official" Indiana State Militia. So far, none of them have passed the first and simplest litmus test for legitimacy: does the Governor recognize your group?

Until and unless the Governor of the State of Indiana actually recognizes a militia group, it is an illegitimate group--since the militia answers to the Governor.

From the reading I have been doing I think that this is a correct answer.

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    The Indiana Guard Reserve is an official select militia.

That is correct.

I had contacted them in the past about potentially singing up, but never received replies to my inquiries.

I know that I tried at least two different contacts with no response.
    From what I understand is they do volunteer work at various events for traffic flow among other things.

This was taken from their website...
    The mission of the Indiana Guard Reserve is to maintain, organize, and train military forces capable of timely and effective response; in support of orders from the Governor under all conditions prescribed by the civil statutes of Indiana; to provide military assistance to civil authorities under conditions of disaster or emergency and to assume the state's responsibilities of the Indiana National Guard upon their mobilization into federal military service. The mission was expanded to include care and counseling for family members of the Indiana National Guard once they are federalized.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I would have replied sooner but the "Plainfield Liar" was out picking up an Engine Hoist. :rolleyes: And you guys say I don't have a life. Didn't the mods tell you to knock it off before either of us got banned? Get over yourself.

The Indiana Guard Reserve is an official select militia.

A&C, this is who I was referring to.

If you recall, the guy who came here "recruiting" managed to get himself flamed away by announcing that he would instruct his troops to take from homeowners whatever food & supplies they required.

Yes, that guy got flamed away because he posted once. He was monitoring the thread for a while but after some of what the people were posting I wouldn't have responded either. He was outright attacked for recruiting for a militia. After those posts he hadn't signed back on again. :dunno: No, I do recall that the IGR posted here as well but people bashed on them as well. It's been so long ago and there are too many posts about the IGR to find it. Maybe tonight when I come back from storage I'll look it up. Maybe not, depends on how frozen I am when I get back.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?

Actually, I seem to recall that the militias were answerable to their officers, chosen from amongst their members by the members themselves. If the purpose of the militia was to defend the people, state, or country against all enemies, foreign and domestic, would it not be counterproductive to have said protective group answerable to an entity or office of the very government they might be called upon to defend against? The concept of an "official militia" is somewhat of a contradiction in terms, I think.

:twocents:

Blessings,
    Bill

rooster007

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    KINGDOM OF CLERMONT
    Just another type of MSG/MAG more or less . Alot of people spend big money on testicle training courses 500.00-600.00 . Some people just join groups that are full of State Police , FBI, and ATF agents to get their training ! just stick with your neighbors and friends thats the best

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    The concept of an "official militia" is somewhat of a contradiction in terms, I think.

Not precisely, there are select and general militias. Select militia at service of some government entity, while the general militia is the body of the people trained to arms and owning weapons.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    In my very humble opinion... lets look back at our forefathers. They banded together to do one thing and one thing only.

That was to stand their ground.

Forming a "militia" is really no different than banding together with friends, family, and trusted others in order to do just that. Militias are defensive in nature, at best. They are not designed to launch an offensive. We stood our ground and did our best to DEFEND what was originally ours. That's all we're really expected to do.

So, do what it is, and don't name it something it isn't. All you're doing is drawing attention upon yourselves. If some people want to join a named Militia, that's their choice, and I won't stop them. They can be the pawns on the chessboard.

Sun Tzu had it right. "Let your plans be dark and as impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt."

Top Bottom